CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Sarge (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Best bullpen ever? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206609)

usc1 05-18-2014 10:50 PM

Best bullpen ever?

The season isn't over yet and there is still a lot to prove but is this the best gamecock bullpen ever?

By my count they have a 1.02 ERA. 5 guys have below a 1 ERA, all of which have at least 13 appearances. This doesn't include our senior Hunter Privette who came in and threw 2.1 scoreless against Vandy and still hasn't given up a run in 8 appearances.

Seddon and Mincey have been dominant and rival the 1-2 punch of Taylor and Price a few years ago but the depth of this bullpen is better than anyone I've seen.

jojaba71 05-18-2014 11:16 PM

Re: Best bullpen ever?

Nasty!

jojaba71 05-18-2014 11:18 PM

This pitching staff is incredible!

Coulwoodwarlord 05-18-2014 11:39 PM

I'd guess we are all in agreement that Chad has to veer away from Tanners formula this year. We are gonna have to either throw our big three early, or the "Vaunted" pen has to dig down and give us innings they may not be use to. That is if we think we need multiple win in Hoover to secure a National seed. No ?

G&B 05-18-2014 11:50 PM

Certainly the deepest...not sure about the "best". I would like to see a fireball thrower as a closer.

robgusc76 05-19-2014 12:13 AM

I have a hard time looking past the 2011 bullpen. The final ERA was around a 2.45 but there were a couple relievers in there that inflated the numbers because their ERA was around 7. If you subtract those guys and just include Price, Mata, and Patrick Sullivan, the ERA drops below two, and that team won 55 games, and a national championship. Guess what im saying is, Ill let you know at the end of june.

usc51 05-19-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4161658)
I have a hard time looking past the 2011 bullpen. The final ERA was around a 2.45 but there were a couple relievers in there that inflated the numbers because their ERA was around 7. If you subtract those guys and just include Price, Mata, and Patrick Sullivan, the ERA drops below two, and that team won 55 games, and a national championship. Guess what im saying is, Ill let you know at the end of june.

Think you need to replace Sullivan with John Taylor. His ERA finished around 0.5 I think on the year and broke the record (not sure if school or NCAA) for appearances.

Regalcock 05-19-2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&B (Post 4161647)
Certainly the deepest...not sure about the "best". I would like to see a fireball thrower as a closer.

Normally I would agree but Seddon Death has a nasty slider and that is a great strikeout pitch.

robgusc76 05-19-2014 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc51 (Post 4161660)
Think you need to replace Sullivan with John Taylor. His ERA finished around 0.5 I think on the year and broke the record (not sure if school or NCAA) for appearances.

Ya I missed Taylor. His season ERA was 1.41. So that strengthens my nomination lol.

weatheredxtown 05-19-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc51 (Post 4161660)

I thought Webb had that record?

aftertwobowls 05-19-2014 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4161664)
Ya I missed Taylor. His season ERA was 1.41. So that strengthens my nomination lol.

It was 1.14 in 2011.

John Taylor career stats

Tyler Webb career stats

ConwayGamecock 05-19-2014 02:45 AM

This thread reminds me of what Andy Demetra tweeted about last week before the Vandy series. He said the last time USC had a reliever to pitch for 25+ innings on the season and have an ERA below 1.00 was 1979's Jeff Twitty. At the time of his tweet, USC this season had FIVE (5) pitchers with sub-1.00 ERAs for 25+ innings.

Since then, Widener was one of them but he gave up 2 ERs in 0.2 IP in the middle-gm loss to Vandy to bump his overall ERA to 1.42 in 31.2 IP.

But the other four are:

Josh Reagan: 0.36 ERA in 25.0 IP
Joel Seddon: 0.48 ERA in 37.1 IP
Cody Mincey: 0.52 in 34.1 IP
Reed Scott: 0.68 ERA in 39.2 IP

Still pretty impressive considering the tradition we've had. Taylor could still get his ERA lowered to below 1.00 perhaps with a few appearances during the postseason, although it's harder now with so many innings pitched, plus some BP arms may not see much action now that the games are becoming more critical. Also, you have to factor in the fact of the newer bats giving pitching stats a boost these days....

COCKYWOOD 05-19-2014 03:51 AM

:woo::woo::woo: Great job by the starters and guys from the bullpen. Tip of the hat to Coach Meyers. :clap::clap::clap:

SportyCock 05-19-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD (Post 4161693)
:woo::woo::woo: Great job by the starters and guys from the bullpen. Tip of the hat to Coach Meyers. :clap::clap::clap:

Exactly. You have to believe Tanner is already working on doing whatever it takes to keep Coach Meyers when the head coaching offers come this summer. I hope he can pull it off!!!

RoosterBooster 05-19-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4161658)

Sullie didn't really even have any meaningful innings in 2011. Have to include JT in any discussion of that bullpen though, and Webb as well. Webb's ERA was higher, but he pitched some important innings and his era was inflated based on his starts as well.

It would be a tough call on the better setup/closer if you look at Taylor/Price, Webb/Price and Mincey/Seddon. I agree you definitely have to see Mincey/Seddon in the post season before ranking them though.

behindenemylines 05-19-2014 03:14 PM

This bullpen is sneaky good. Nobody throws gas, but they get the job done.