CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Sarge (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Is this year's team better than last years' (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206618)

Roosterboy 05-19-2014 12:33 PM

Is this year's team better than last years'

I'd have to say so.
Last year we were 43-20 after being eliminated.
This year the team is 42-14 before postseason play.

So by my standards, this team improved from year one to year two under Holbrook.

How this team does in the postseason will be telling.
If this team doesn't make out of regionals, then my whole argument goes to the crapper.

Let's try to win us a game at the SEC tourney (for once) and hopefully that wil lbe enough to lock up a top 8 seed. so we can host regionals and hopefully host supers (if this team can host at home, I feel good about making it to the city that shall not be named).

Evilchicken2 05-19-2014 12:50 PM

Re: Is this year's team better than last years'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4161903)
I'd have to say so.
Last year we were 43-20 after being eliminated.
This year the team is 42-14 before postseason play.

So by my standards, this team improved from year one to year two under Holbrook.

How this team does in the postseason will be telling.
If this team doesn't make out of regionals, then my whole argument goes to the crapper.

Let's try to win us a game at the SEC tourney (for once) and hopefully that wil lbe enough to lock up a top 8 seed. so we can host regionals and hopefully host supers (if this team can host at home, I feel good about making it to the city that shall not be named).

I think it's as good as last year's team--I don't think we have enough consistent offense to make it past the the Supers.

treys1986 05-19-2014 01:14 PM

If we are at home through the Super Regionals, then we will be in Omaha.

If we have to go on the road for a Super Regional, then I feel a little more shaky about our chances. Winning that series AT Vanderbilt really made me feel a lot more confident about winning a Super Regional on the road.

When this team is healthy, I think it is better than last years team.

Mt. Lattimore 05-19-2014 01:33 PM

I'm confident we make it to Omaha.

We'll get paired with some ACC team in the Supers and expose how overrated that conference is.

ucan'tlickourcocks 05-19-2014 01:42 PM

I believe it is too early to make a judgement. If it weren't for the tarholes shenanigans last year, we may have done better last year.....

IF we can secure a top 8 seed, I believe that will be answer enough..... if not, we will have to wait and see......

cack 05-19-2014 01:45 PM

When healthy, yes. When not healthy ... they're still pretty good.

jrussjr 05-19-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treys1986 (Post 4161962)
If we are at home through the Super Regionals, then we will be in Omaha.

If we have to go on the road for a Super Regional, then I feel a little more shaky about our chances. Winning that series AT Vanderbilt really made me feel a lot more confident about winning a Super Regional on the road.

When this team is healthy, I think it is better than last years team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore (Post 4161990)
I'm confident we make it to Omaha.

We'll get paired with some ACC team in the Supers and expose how overrated that conference is.

Uh-Oh! It's been mentioned! Dangit!

WIN ANYWAY!!! :swingcoc:

catdaddy66 05-19-2014 09:12 PM

I believe it is better, mostly because of our bullpen. I think we have more clutch hitters that don't always make the clutch hits, but they do make a lot. I think we go thru the supers but don't want to predict an outcome on the next stage, yet!

Coulwoodwarlord 05-19-2014 09:32 PM

Is this year's team better than last years'

Without a doubt ! This team is "imo", head and shoulders above last years team. I'd go so far as to say that barring the injuries, this team would have less that 10 losses, easy. This is a championship team, capable of winning the whole shooting match.

GamecockInHell 05-19-2014 11:00 PM

Without the injuries there is no doubt this team is better. Even with them, its pretty good. We have some young guys that have started to come through and if Max can play our pitching is good enough to keep us in games. If we can win a couple in Hoover to clinch a super I feel pretty good about our chances.

Taylorspur 05-19-2014 11:14 PM

I would say pitching is a notch better and with those couple new guys put in the line up due to injury, we became a better hitting team. Our power has gone down. If we use our head when batting with RISP we can be a very good team.

GarnetBlack&Blue 05-19-2014 11:32 PM

considering all the injuries I'd agree....

but with a program of this caliber its all about post-season performance, so we shall see!

U-Dub Gamecock 05-26-2014 09:06 AM

If this team was healthy, then yes... we are better than last year's team...

Right now.. No, we are not...

GamecockInHell 05-26-2014 10:46 AM

Everything depends on how much #22 plays from here on out. Greiner is the heart of this team but Max is what makes it go.

PvtWarlick 05-26-2014 10:48 AM

Healthy- yes
In the state we are now- No

LB in the DH spot is the difference

FanofCarolina1 05-26-2014 12:25 PM

Yes. From game one, this team looked to be in mid-season form. I don't count the SEC Tourney because seriously it doesn't mean that much in baseball.

...And of course, when healthy, this is a team that can easily put a third NC trophy in the case and a banner flying above the stadium.

No Curse 05-27-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 (Post 4167431)
I don't count the SEC Tourney because seriously it doesn't mean that much in .

I wish we would get out of this mind set. I think if we actually won an SEC tournament this would change. I believe the "it doesn't mean much" attitude is just an excuse the fans have created to justify poor performance in the tourney

MWard 05-27-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Curse (Post 4167988)
I wish we would get out of this mind set. I think if we actually won an SEC tournament this would change. I believe the "it doesn't mean much" attitude is just an excuse the fans have created to justify poor performance in the tourney

There's some truth to that, but I think a lot of people value it to scale. Not a lot of people nationally remember who won the SEC Tournament in 2010, but many more people remember who won the National Championship. Even the team covets the Regular Season Championship more than the Tournament, and that's just not our's that's all the teams.

IMO:
National Championship > CWS Appearance > SEC Reg Season Championship > SEC Tournament Championship

As far as the OP's question, I think this team is better than last year's team, especially when we have Bright and Max in the lineup and they're healthy. If those guys are 100% going into Regionals, we'll stand a solid chance of going to Super's.

USCBatgirl21 05-27-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

We have. 2004.

markp_vip 05-27-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Not me, I'm perfectly happy going 0-2 in every SEC Tourney and resting our guys for the real tournament as long as we continue to see the post-season success we have been seeing. It seems to have worked out pretty well for us last decade or so.