CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   AT&T buys Direct TV, impact on SEC network (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206626)

trapper82 05-19-2014 05:24 PM

AT&T buys Direct TV, impact on SEC network

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...rectv/9247795/

It will be long after the SEC network launches that this deal is finalized, and until then these are two independent companies. But does it say anything about a DirectTV move to get the SECN?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...or-sec-network

I know the bleacher report is not known for being a great newsource but this is a pretty good article. Some interesting points:

1. The Big10 network was available to a little over 16 million homes at launch. The SEC Network is already available to 19-20 million, and the carriers are still signing up.

2. The month between SEC Media days and the college football kickoff is crunch time for your provider if they aren't carrying the SEC Network. If they don't have it by then they will not be a part of ESPN's major push on all fronts to get people signed up. And when ESPN has an agenda, it gets noticed...

USCCO2009 05-19-2014 05:54 PM

Re: AT&T buys Direct TV, impact on SEC network

Yeah I am very curious as to whether DirecTV picks up the SEC network now. I just sent Directv an email asking if there were any plans to make it happen. I told them that I would not hesitate to switch to DISH Network if they weren't going to carry the SEC Network. I will post an update on here as soon as they get back to me.

Ericvol2096 05-19-2014 05:58 PM

I'm buying a house and moving in mid June. I will probably wait till August to add cable just to have all my choices available.

USCCO2009 05-19-2014 06:16 PM

Wow, I got a response in 5 minutes. It sounds promising:

Subject
SEC Network
Administrator
We strongly believe every SEC fan should have access to the SEC Network on DIRECTV and customers can rest assured that is our goal as we continue our discussions with the owners of the channel. Contract talks happen on a different timetable with each TV provider, so unlike our competitor, we have really just begun our discussions and hope to have an update on status as we move closer to the network's launch in August.

For more information please visit directvpromise.com.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV Customer Care
Daniel Howard
I have been a DIRECTV customer for over 2 years and am wondering if DIRECTV has any plans to carry the SEC Network this fall. I am a huge SEC football fan and will not hesitate to switch to DISH Network if the SEC Network is carried by them and not DIRECTV. Can you please let me know if there are any expectations of this agreement coming to terms? If not, I will begin talking with DISH Network. Thanks very much.

Carolina4Life 05-19-2014 07:29 PM

I'm sure it will pan out before opening night.

Coulwoodwarlord 05-19-2014 09:14 PM

All due repect for AT&T, Dish and whatever, but TWC better get their game "ON"

CockyInGA 05-20-2014 12:06 AM

Technically, the deal has only been announced as plans for AT&T to acquire DirectTV via shares (even though both the AT&T and DirectTV boards have voted to approve). The deal still needs FCC / FTC / Justice Department approval, just like the Comcast / Time Warner deal.

There's the possibility that neither deal will ever happen.

A. Pilgrim 05-20-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyInGA (Post 4162605)
Technically, the deal has only been announced as plans for AT&T to acquire DirectTV via shares (even though both the AT&T and DirectTV boards have voted to approve). The deal still needs FCC / FTC / Justice Department approval, just like the Comcast / Time Warner deal.

There's the possibility that neither deal will ever happen.

AT&T purchase of DirecTV being approved is more of a probability than a possibility.

Comcast / TWC on the other hand, is not.

Cock Kool-Aid 05-20-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina4Life (Post 4162352)
I'm sure it will pan out before opening night.

This. The channel vs the TV provider... this isn't the first time this has happened... remember when everyone was freaking out bc we were going to lose ESPN a few years ago. All the worrying about the SEC Network is getting annoying AF. Chill out, people.

b381l 05-26-2014 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4162682)
AT&T purchase of DirecTV being approved is more of a probability than a possibility.

Comcast / TWC on the other hand, is not.

exactly.....totally separate deals with different situations. the AT&T - DTV deal actually helps the consumer save money when bundling phone, Internet and TV.