CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Proving Ground (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Article: New freshmen eligibility standards coming (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206658)

CoverTwo 05-20-2014 04:03 PM

Article: New freshmen eligibility standards coming

This is awesome, IMO.

Article via ESPN

PageUSC 05-20-2014 04:08 PM

Re: Article: New freshmen eligibility standards coming

I haven't read it yet but hopefully they are less strict. We are struggling to get kids in this year. We may have 4-5.

CoverTwo 05-20-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PageUSC (Post 4163123)
I haven't read it yet but hopefully they are less strict. We are struggling to get kids in this year. We may have 4-5.

Basically if incoming freshmen don't fulfill the new academic requirements, they must redshirt their first year.

Mt. Lattimore 05-20-2014 04:12 PM

So, a redshirt year instead of prep or juco?

That sounds good.

JDStud6 05-20-2014 04:15 PM

Certainly interesting..and at the same time sad because we seem to be having issues right now with people at the lower standards

JD

Cockypantherfan 05-20-2014 04:16 PM

This is good news indeed. Help the kids stay with the school they committed to and getting the chance to workout, practice, and improve their grades.

crowcutta 05-20-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore (Post 4163127)

That sounds good.

technically it wont count against eligibility, so they'd still have 5 to play 4 a la prep rather than juco.

MWard 05-20-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore (Post 4163127)

That sounds good.

This was the part I was confused about. So what are the minimums to even enroll as an Academic Red Shirt? Are those minimums still the same, but the "new" minimums just for those students who would be eligible to play their first year?

OR

Can we now bring in total dunces with NO academic minimum and just make them sit out a year with an Academic Red Shirt and stay eligible from that point forward?

I'm still trying to feel if this is going to help or hurt the JUCO/Prep business.

Mt. Lattimore 05-20-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWard (Post 4163156)
This was the part I was confused about. So what are the minimums to even enroll as an Academic Red Shirt? Are those minimums still the same, but the "new" minimums just for those students who would be eligible to play their first year?

OR

Can we now bring in total dunces with NO academic minimum and just make them sit out a year with an Academic Red Shirt and stay eligible from that point forward?

I'm still trying to feel if this is going to help or hurt the JUCO/Prep business.

Yea, it sounds like they are "upping" the academic requirements, yet offering a deferment (redshirt) if you do not fulfill them.

Assuming, of course, the player gets accepted into the institution.

MisterClowney 05-20-2014 05:30 PM

I like it!

ConwayGamecock 05-20-2014 05:49 PM

It's good!

FearThethumbandDJ 05-20-2014 06:09 PM

yay i guess.

now football players have to do even less in the classroom. I doubt any of them get 1000 on their SAT's.

CoverTwo 05-20-2014 06:13 PM

IMO, this is to clean up the NCAA Clearinghouse. I think it'll get rid of the cases where a player is accepted into the university but is flagged by the Clearinghouse.

So now if a player is accepted into the university, but doesn't meet the new requirements, they don't have to go elsewhere .. they can enroll and sit out a year.

I could be totally wrong, but that is how I understand it.

thekob 05-20-2014 06:16 PM

So the effect of this will be for Coaches to recruit smarter since the academic redshirt still counts against the 85 limit, and for (hopefully) the kids to apply themselves more throughout high school rather than relying on last second test scores and summer classes, correct?

GarnetInChicago 05-20-2014 06:39 PM

Can someone explain the eligibility requirements for Prep and JUCO as they presently exist? I'm failing to see how these new rules have anything to do with Prep or JUCO.

FearThethumbandDJ 05-20-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago (Post 4163272)
Can someone explain the eligibility requirements for Prep and JUCO as they presently exist? I'm failing to see how these new rules have anything to do with Prep or JUCO.

Im pretty sure a football player could get in prep or JUCO even if they couldnt spell their name.

GarnetInChicago 05-20-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ (Post 4163314)
Im pretty sure a football player could get in prep or JUCO even if they couldnt spell their name.

Right, but that doesn't really clear the matter up for me. The way I'm reading this, all it does is impact (1) kids whose GPA is between 2.0 and 2.3 and (2) kids who fail to finish the 10 courses before their senior year or the 16 w/in 4 years. So what does that have to do with needing to go JUCO instead of college? You still get in with the 2.0, you just have to redshirt.

acejrock 05-20-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Some might think that this new rule could be asking too much from high schools and it could put a limit on recruiting for college coaches, but that's just silly. This rule is being put in place to make sure that student-athletes are better prepared academically for college. Asking kids to hit the books harder and study a little longer is far from a crime and chances are the higher standards will encourage schools to take the academic side of high school sports life more seriously.
So, you aren't gonna give them a stipend (pay for play or whatever verbiage you chose), and you're going make it more difficult academically. Call me cynical, but we don't live in a perfect world, and this will only encourage the detriment of amateurism. Minor league football here we come.

Roosterboy 05-21-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4163125)
Basically if incoming freshmen don't fulfill the new academic requirements, they must redshirt their first year.

I like it.

CockySpaniel 05-21-2014 04:47 PM

Ah, I was wondering why the sudden creation of "bridge" programs with area tech schools and USC / Clemson.
I'm sure similar programs have popped up across the country in anticipation of this new rule.