CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   undrafted player options if not offered CFA? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206681)

boness 05-21-2014 01:27 PM

undrafted player options if not offered CFA?

Is there any mechanism that can get someone a look, a chance if they did not get an CFA invite. If so it is???

COCKDIESEL 05-21-2014 01:29 PM

Re: undrafted player options if not offered CFA?

Canada or Arena. There have been some that route worked for. Kurt Warner comes to mind.

boness 05-21-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL (Post 4163851)
Canada or Arena. There have been some that route worked for. Kurt Warner comes to mind.

those you mention r good. I ws hoping for such as the Eagles had in the 70s.. basically a try out though it would be by invite now as opposed to open as it was then. maybe a personal workout so long as the player footed his own expenses to do so. things along that line. mostly just hoping our youngsters who did not get drafted nor offered CFA contracts might have additional immediate options as well as playing the season in smaller leagues. :(

COCKDIESEL 05-21-2014 02:13 PM

I guess you are talking about Victor Hampton specifically. He was at the combine he's had pro days he's done individual workouts, I don't think another individual workout would help.

palmettosc 05-21-2014 02:52 PM

Yep. Vic's going to likely have to wait until some injuries in mini-camps.

WeCocky 05-21-2014 03:27 PM

Why would he leave school if he didnt think for sure he'd get drafted??

KEmmrich 05-21-2014 04:44 PM

It seems like Vic should have been drafted late or got a free agent look from somebody! I think that personal stuff right before the draft hurt him worse than his size and his underwhelming combine numbers. It sure would have nice to have had him back for one more year here. I hope he stays motivated and his agent continues to believe in him so he a can train and improve his numbers (if he can).

boness 05-21-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL (Post 4163908)
I guess you are talking about Victor Hampton specifically. He was at the combine he's had pro days he's done individual workouts, I don't think another individual workout would help.

i was primarily but also to the seniors who might pursui a chance to play NFL.

JaxcockFL 05-21-2014 08:34 PM

Some guys got invited for tryouts for rookie mincamps, but I never heard that Vic was one of them...so I have to assume he was not. unfortunately, the off the field stuff appears to have really hurt him. He probably should look to Canada or the AFL now.

cock13 05-21-2014 10:34 PM

They got that free education! They should just use that.

henmania 05-21-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxcockFL (Post 4164308)
Some guys got invited for tryouts for rookie mincamps, but I never heard that Vic was one of them...so I have to assume he was not. unfortunately, the off the field stuff appears to have really hurt him. He probably should look to Canada or the AFL now.

There are also tryouts held regionally by the NFL from time to time that players participate.

Flameout12 05-21-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxcockFL (Post 4164308)
Some guys got invited for tryouts for rookie mincamps....

Pretty sure every team has some of this...not sure on how they get invited...but usually there's a few that get invited back for summer camp and occasionally make the roster.

carolina_corpsman 05-22-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cock13 (Post 4164496)
They got that free education! They should just use that.

If they left early, they don't. Unless you are a top 2 rounds pick, why on earth would you give up a free education?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

b381l 05-22-2014 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flameout12 (Post 4164623)
Pretty sure every team has some of this...not sure on how they get invited...but usually there's a few that get invited back for summer camp and occasionally make the roster.

yes.....after the draft, all teams sign undrafted free agent contracts with various players....they also ask 10-20 more to come in.....called rookie tryouts. I am shocked Hampton wasn't even asked to come to a camp for a rookie tryout.

Gamecocks1137 05-22-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4164750)
yes.....after the draft, all teams sign undrafted free agent contracts with various players....they also ask 10-20 more to come in.....called rookie tryouts. I am shocked Hampton wasn't even asked to come to a camp for a rookie tryout.

Forget that, the fact he wasn't even drafted is a travesty. Something odd is going on.

boness 05-22-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henmania (Post 4164606)
There are also tryouts held regionally by the NFL from time to time that players participate.

That good to hear. I ws hoping that sort of thing might exist.

boness 05-22-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEmmrich (Post 4164100)
It seems like Vic should have been drafted late or got a free agent look from somebody! I think that personal stuff right before the draft hurt him worse than his size and his underwhelming combine numbers. It sure would have nice to have had him back for one more year here. I hope he stays motivated and his agent continues to believe in him so he a can train and improve his numbers (if he can).

Apologies for my ignorance. I am aware hampton had numerios issues prior to coming to SC. I read several pieces the last couple yrs he was doing well at SC.
Are you refering to the issues in HS or did he have things at Sc recently come to light or ?

boness 05-22-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman (Post 4164738)
If they left early, they don't. Unless you are a top 2 rounds pick, why on earth would you give up a free education?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

agreed unless projected first or at worst second round the smart move would be to stay for so many reasons. Working hard likely would raise the players value for one but many will point out some one drafted in say the 3rd round still makes a great deal of $ for as long as he makes the team however we often see a player have an expectation that does not come to fruition. a player like manzei drops he still goes high but seems the deeper in the draft the projection the more likely it is wrong and the player projected later has less room to land after dropping.
as himmania and u noted all should take advantage. we take lots more note of those that do not but there are examples everywhere of those who do with the early graduations creating the oportunity to transfer etc.

superfly 05-22-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boness (Post 4164894)
Apologies for my ignorance. I am aware hampton had numerios issues prior to coming to SC. I read several pieces the last couple yrs he was doing well at SC.
Are you refering to the issues in HS or did he have things at Sc recently come to light or ?

The incident at the New York city nightclub and the arrest following an argument with his sister after he declared were yet more red flags that followed his high school and college problems. If one person has problems every step of the way.....it's more than being in the "wrong place" or "it wasn't his fault" thing. It is a pattern that can't be ignored or explained away. Great player....but too much of a risk.

Flameout12 05-22-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfly (Post 4164899)
The incident at the New York city nightclub and the arrest following an argument with his sister after he declared were yet more red flags that followed his high school and college problems. If one person has problems every step of the way.....it's more than being in the "wrong place" or "it wasn't his fault" thing. It is a pattern that can't be ignored or explained away. Great player....but too much of a risk.

Agree....back to back recent issues from a guy who was not highly rated.
The cussing with his sister may be the worst of the two...public perception.
There are dozens of CBs available without the baggage....this includes guys on practice rosters, guys who got cut last year but may be more ready this year, etc.

Hope Hampton, Jr can get it together and find a job.