CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Fighting a "Rolled Through Stop Sign" Ticket. Worth it? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206691)

ColaCock 05-21-2014 06:13 PM

Fighting a "Rolled Through Stop Sign" Ticket. Worth it?

About an hour ago on my way home, I pass through a 4-way stop that I go through every single day. I'm a pretty cautious driver because something serious would affect my employment and I don't speed because I don't believe it gets you anywhere significantly faster. Never had a citation in my life before.

At any rate, there was a moped in front of me as I approached the stop sign. The moped scooted about 2 lengths of the moped in front of me and came to a stop while I came up behind him and stopped (at the actual line) then crept forward looking left and right then cross the intersection.

After 30 seconds, I heard a siren and noticed the lights behind me. A 4'7" policewoman tells me I rolled through the stop sign and asked if I was distracted or in a hurry, which I was not. I told her I'm certain I stopped and have never been issued a traffic violation in my life and that I go through that intersection 2 times a day. She issued a $153 citation.

Do I have any chance in hell of fighting this in court or just pay up? It's only $153, but I can find a lot of other things to throw that cash at.

Any thing I should do to prepare myself in fighting it? Photos of intersection? Check to see if line is well painted? Obstructed at all?

Or am I pissing my time away and the one wearing the badge is always going to be right?

trapper82 05-21-2014 06:22 PM

Re: Fighting a "Rolled Through Stop Sign" Ticket. Worth it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4164198)
About an hour ago on my way home, I pass through a 4-way stop that I go through every single day. I'm a pretty cautious driver because something serious would affect my employment and I don't speed because I don't believe it gets you anywhere significantly faster. Never had a citation in my life before.

At any rate, there was a moped in front of me as I approached the stop sign. The moped scooted about 2 lengths of the moped in front of me and came to a stop while I came up behind him and stopped (at the actual line) then crept forward looking left and right then cross the intersection.

After 30 seconds, I heard a siren and noticed the lights behind me. A 4'7" lady policewoman tells me I rolled through the stop sign and asked if I was distracted on in a hurry, which I was not. I told her I'm certain I stopped and have never been issued a traffic violation in my life and that I go through that intersection 2 times a day. She issued a $153 citation.

Do I have any chance in hell of fighting this in court or just pay up? It's only $153, but I can find a lot of other things to throw that cash at.

Any thing I should do to prepare myself in fighting it? Photos of intersection? Check to see if line is well painted? Obstructed at all?

Or am I pissing my time away and the one wearing the badge is always going to be right?

Well you can do a few things. First of all, how many notes did she write down on the ticket? Are they pretty sparse?

trapper82 05-21-2014 06:24 PM

http://www.wikihow.com/Fight-a-Traffic-Ticket

This pretty much covers it. Remember that the 6th amendment gives you the right to a fair and speedy trial, so if you do request a trial and they have to keep putting it off the whole thing may get thrown out.

ColaCock 05-21-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4164206)
Well you can do a few things. First of all, how many notes did she write down on the ticket? Are they pretty sparse?

Only notes besides filling in the required information was "failure to stop at stop sign."

ccured 05-21-2014 06:42 PM

I got one of those here. total bs. where the cop was sitting he couldn't even see the intersection. I would have had to stop in the intersection. I went to court and there were 7 other people there with the same citation and all but 1 of us requested a trial saying the same thing. That we stopped and the cop couldn't even see the actual line. When the judge asked if anyone wanted a jury trial all our hands went up and the judge asked what we are actual citations were. When everyone of us said the same thing he threw them all out. The cop was pissed it was the only time I can think of being happy with the City of Columbia.

TheUSCMike 05-21-2014 06:55 PM

A 4'7" policewoman

What is the relevance?

U-Dub Gamecock 05-21-2014 07:11 PM

Yeah, go to traffic court over that... You have a good chance of getting that overturned

ColaCock 05-21-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUSCMike (Post 4164228)
A 4'7" policewoman

What is the relevance?

Eh, I was going to go off on a tangent there regarding her possible distance away from seeing my vehicle and her ability to see over the steering wheel. Figured it wasn't important enough to make a difference.

Also, I've seen more female cops in this area than any in my life...I see more women than men it seems.

Frosty 05-21-2014 08:22 PM

I've never felt like I had a fair shot in traffic court. THe cop is there every month and knows the judge. Have never felt like a "fair" trial was going to take place. If anything they may reduce the fine if you show up.

Captain9Dragons 05-21-2014 08:27 PM

HP will probably cut it in half if you show up at traffic court

city/county you are probably out of luck

her vision was probably obstructed by the dash

RGHoskins 05-21-2014 08:44 PM

Ummm, 153 dollars and six points holmes.

ColaCock 05-21-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4164313)
Ummm, 153 dollars and six points holmes.

Only 3 points here, but I am not worried about those at all.

RGHoskins 05-21-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4164327)
Only 3 points here, but I am not worried about those at all.

That's good but why aren't you worried about the points A LOT more than the fine?

ColaCock 05-21-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4164330)
That's good but why aren't you worried about the points A LOT more than the fine?

For one, my company is self-insured so no increase on my behalf. I'm in a position where I won't get reprimanded or questioned on this ticket at all. Two, I don't speed or plan on having multiple traffic infractions in the near future...this was my first ever in my life.

So the fine is all I am really concerned about.

roosterdude21 05-21-2014 09:17 PM

Yeah the points are a HUGE kick in the nuts.

acejrock 05-21-2014 09:30 PM

Was it FHP?

Order 66 05-21-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4164341)
For one, my company is self-insured so no increase on my behalf. I'm in a position where I won't get reprimanded or questioned on this ticket at all. Two, I don't speed or plan on having multiple traffic infractions in the near future...this was my first ever in my life.

So the fine is all I am really concerned about.

In that case...don't sweat it.

GamecockUltimate 05-22-2014 12:45 AM

Id ask for a trial if you stopped. Its what an hour of your life and the risk/ reward is pretty decent

Gamecocks1137 05-22-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUSCMike (Post 4164228)
A 4'7" policewoman

What is the relevance?

Maybe that she was a bitch. Just throwing that out there for all of us guys not ballsy enough to say what she really was.

Gamecocks1137 05-22-2014 12:57 AM

Ask for a trial though, the more people who ask for one, and win them, the less this happens. Quotas being met are no reason to wrongfully accuse anyone of a crime.