CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014 (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206700)

Travelin 05-22-2014 11:06 AM

From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 

CoverTwo 05-22-2014 11:16 AM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Is anyone kind of surprised that Ray hasn't made a big splash yet? I know he has made some really good non-major revenue sport hires and gotten approval for the new phases of facility upgrades but I kind of figured he would've made a huge move by now. He kind of took what Hyman started and kept the train going which I have no complaints about.

ra742002 05-22-2014 11:32 AM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
I don't think he's really had the opportunity has he?

Travelin 05-22-2014 11:34 AM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4165025)
Is anyone kind of surprised that Ray hasn't made a big splash yet? I know he has made some really good non-major revenue sport hires and gotten approval for the new phases of facility upgrades but I kind of figured he would've made a huge move by now. He kind of took what Hyman started and kept the train going which I have no complaints about.

Spurrier or CFM would have to quit/retire or get fired for that to happen and I don't see that happening anytime real soon. It may be a few more years before Ray Tanner has to make a Major, High Profile hire. I wouldn't even consider the Women's BB Head coach or Baseball's HC an opportunity for a Big Splash Hire.

markp_vip 05-22-2014 11:37 AM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4165025)
Is anyone kind of surprised that Ray hasn't made a big splash yet? I know he has made some really good non-major revenue sport hires and gotten approval for the new phases of facility upgrades but I kind of figured he would've made a huge move by now. He kind of took what Hyman started and kept the train going which I have no complaints about.

That's just becuase he hits the water with pin-point precision, just like an olympic diver.:wink: Just having Ray in the position gives me confidence in the future of our Athletic Department.

Latt7more 05-22-2014 02:51 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4165049)
Spurrier or CFM would have to quit/retire or get fired for that to happen and I don't see that happening anytime real soon. It may be a few more years before Ray Tanner has to make a Major, High Profile hire. I wouldn't even consider the Women's BB Head coach or Baseball's HC an opportunity for a Big Splash Hire.

I don't think he was referring to just a hire. In terms of developing our athletic department and making moves to expand/upgrade our facilities, C2 is right. He's keeping Hyman's plan rolling. which is completely fine because there's a lot of developments already in place. I think Ray Tanner made the right move to jump into the athletic director position at the time he did because there's really nothing he needs to make happen immediately. Just follow through with the master plan and make sure nothing goes wrong. I think we're at least 2 years away from any new developments. Maybe there will be more discussion about alcohol being sold at WB, but other than that Tanner is sitting in a comfortable situation.

CoverTwo 05-22-2014 02:53 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latt7more (Post 4165274)
I don't think he was referring to just a hire. In terms of developing our athletic department and making moves to expand/upgrade our facilities, C2 is right. He's keeping Hyman's plan rolling. which is completely fine because there's a lot of developments already in place. I think Ray Tanner made the right move to jump into the athletic director position at the time he did because there's really nothing he needs to make happen immediately. Just follow through with the master plan and make sure nothing goes wrong. I think we're at least 2 years away from any new developments. Maybe there will be more discussion about alcohol being sold at WB, but other than that Tanner is sitting in a comfortable situation.

Yeah this was pretty much spot on to what I was thinking.

Evilchicken2 05-22-2014 03:05 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latt7more (Post 4165274)
I don't think he was referring to just a hire. In terms of developing our athletic department and making moves to expand/upgrade our facilities, C2 is right. He's keeping Hyman's plan rolling. which is completely fine because there's a lot of developments already in place. I think Ray Tanner made the right move to jump into the athletic director position at the time he did because there's really nothing he needs to make happen immediately. Just follow through with the master plan and make sure nothing goes wrong. I think we're at least 2 years away from any new developments. Maybe there will be more discussion about alcohol being sold at WB, but other than that Tanner is sitting in a comfortable situation.

I don't think Tanner is sitting in a comfortable position at all. You have the spectre of replacing Spurrier looming. You have the unenviable task of trying to make sure Dawn Staley is wrapped up for years. You have a hot head BBall coach, and a weak program. The baseball program you birthed doesnt have an identity. There's plenty to keep Ray up at night, especially because these things have to be anticipated even if they are 2, 3, 4 yrs down the road. The man at the precipice of success has to worry about the eventual descent.

Nureye 05-22-2014 03:12 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4165025)
Is anyone kind of surprised that Ray hasn't made a big splash yet? I know he has made some really good non-major revenue sport hires and gotten approval for the new phases of facility upgrades but I kind of figured he would've made a huge move by now. He kind of took what Hyman started and kept the train going which I have no complaints about.


Suspending Frank made a splash

cockymac 05-22-2014 03:53 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
So much money is already tied up in what Hyman started that I don't know what else he could do. The things that are started need to be completed, or at least close to completed before he gets something big going. I'm happy with where we are headed. I think he's the guy to lead us.

mater 05-22-2014 04:20 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 (Post 4165296)
I don't think Tanner is sitting in a comfortable position at all. You have the spectre of replacing Spurrier looming. You have the unenviable task of trying to make sure Dawn Staley is wrapped up for years. You have a hot head BBall coach, and a weak program. The baseball program you birthed doesnt have an identity. There's plenty to keep Ray up at night, especially because these things have to be anticipated even if they are 2, 3, 4 yrs down the road. The man at the precipice of success has to worry about the eventual descent.

1. Spurrier has stated and is truthful, he will leave when he is ready. Per his own mouth at lease another 5 years.

2. USC (Tanner as AD) just renegotiated Staley's contract last year, too include a hefty buy out and a large raise. Plus, she turned down her Alma Mater and a possible massive amount of money from Ohio State. If that couldn't get her to leave, it will take a major job opening (Tenn, Stanford, UConn, Baylor, etc) and no amount of money would keep her at USC.

3. Frank Martin will be fine, considering the dumpster fire he inherited. Martin was known to have a temper before getting hired and bottom line, had his curse out not been caught on camera, no one would have ever made a big deal out it.

4. Define identity please. The still have won 40+ games a season, came within one game of making it back to the CWS in Holbrook's first year (Tanner didn't make it until year 5). Despite a mash unit of injuries this season, still are in great shape.

5. Tanner took over an athletic dept. in vastly better shape than Hyman did. All the major projects were already bonded and on the board. What could creep up? Tanner helped keep one of the best athletes in the history of the school out of the paper (Clowney), he (metaphorically) single handed built the baseball park while a coach and is a great ambassador to the school.


Stop wanting the other shoe to drop. Sheesh.

Roosterboy 05-22-2014 04:21 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 (Post 4165296)
I don't think Tanner is sitting in a comfortable position at all. You have the spectre of replacing Spurrier looming. You have the unenviable task of trying to make sure Dawn Staley is wrapped up for years. You have a hot head BBall coach, and a weak program. The baseball program you birthed doesnt have an identity. There's plenty to keep Ray up at night, especially because these things have to be anticipated even if they are 2, 3, 4 yrs down the road. The man at the precipice of success has to worry about the eventual descent.

Cliff jumping much.

gamecockjay 05-22-2014 04:26 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Things change more quickly than most realize. Look at auburn in the last 3 years. They have replaced football,baseball,basketball and softball and there may be some other programs that only the nard would know about. I think Frank will move on if he gets any kind of offer from anyone and resets his clock. He walked into a dumpster fire and has not been able to get the difference maker recruits he thought he could lure to Columbia. He needs to have his list of coaches up to date at all times.

henmania 05-22-2014 05:15 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4165277)
Yeah this was pretty much spot on to what I was thinking.

Ray and Eric agreed on an awful lot. Ray has a better personality for this job but I doubt you see the approach change much.

HeadCockFan 05-22-2014 08:24 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Ya'll haven't heard about Ray's plans to add noise reducing panels to section 506? You won't be able to hear whiny little biatches up there anymore. Huge move if you ask me. He might get sued by someone's father.

ConwayGamecock 05-22-2014 08:31 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
How much were the expansion plans that Hyman "started" actually plans that his predecessor already had mapped out, and he just oversaw the funding approvals for, in a much more financially solvent SEC?

gocockswyn 05-22-2014 08:37 PM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markp_vip (Post 4165055)
That's just becuase he hits the water with pin-point precision, just like an olympic diver.:wink: Just having Ray in the position gives me confidence in the future of our Athletic Department.

Love it. :happycoc:

Rebel4ever 05-23-2014 12:26 AM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
The facilities are moving forward as planned. Nice. Tanner's first REAL public splash will be when it's time for him to hire a coach. Martin seems to be the first job he would have to fill but hope not cause I want Martin to make us competitive so then it would seem football would be his first big hire if Martin stays on. If something fishy happens with Holbrook who I'm beginning to have very, very tiny questions about his head coaching ability may be his first hire. May have to hire himself.

M.C. 05-23-2014 02:22 AM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 (Post 4165296)
I don't think Tanner is sitting in a comfortable position at all. You have the spectre of replacing Spurrier looming. You have the unenviable task of trying to make sure Dawn Staley is wrapped up for years. You have a hot head BBall coach, and a weak program. The baseball program you birthed doesnt have an identity. There's plenty to keep Ray up at night, especially because these things have to be anticipated even if they are 2, 3, 4 yrs down the road. The man at the precipice of success has to worry about the eventual descent.

Sometimes I wonder if you are even a gamecock fan

Travelin 05-23-2014 05:36 AM

Re: From The Desk Of Ray Tanner, May 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4ever (Post 4165856)
The facilities are moving forward as planned. Nice. Tanner's first REAL public splash will be when it's time for him to hire a coach. Martin seems to be the first job he would have to fill but hope not cause I want Martin to make us competitive so then it would seem football would be his first big hire if Martin stays on. If something fishy happens with Holbrook who I'm beginning to have very, very tiny questions about his head coaching ability may be his first hire. May have to hire himself.

I feel the same way. I certainly wouldn't want Ray to try to change something just to put his own footprint on the AD position. He's already done so much for the University through his coaching skills. Hopefully he does have another 4 or 5 years before he has to make a Big Splash Hire, but there is plenty on his plate in the meantime to keep him busy. Most importantly, DONATIONS!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.