CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   iCocky (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   No contract phone help (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206796)

2000grad 05-26-2014 02:28 PM

No contract phone help

Anyone know which one is best as most reliable?

Gamecocks1137 05-26-2014 02:39 PM

Re: No contract phone help

Wal-Mart has a pretty big selection of no contract phones. I can't tell you which one is best, but maybe someone in electronics can. Seriously, don't ask the people in electronics, they have no idea what they are talking about.

2000grad 05-26-2014 02:46 PM

Do you know if the minutes rollover?

ColaCock 05-26-2014 03:17 PM

A lot of people down here use MetroPCS...I think it is no-contract and they actually have decent phones compared to most I see "in store".

rnecavs07 05-26-2014 04:03 PM

I know a lot of people who use straighttalk down here. Its 45 a month for unlimited everything. You can use almost any phone on the network just have to call the help desk and they will walk you through how to switch it over to their network.

2000grad 05-26-2014 04:18 PM

I was looking for something that is small amount of minutes for my son to have a phone as he is playing in the neighborhood

rnecavs07 05-26-2014 04:29 PM

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...p/serviceplans

2000grad 05-26-2014 04:47 PM

Is that the Wal-Mart phone?

rnecavs07 05-26-2014 05:04 PM

yea

JohnnyB21 05-26-2014 05:07 PM

Virgin mobile is pretty good too

JoeCock 05-26-2014 05:26 PM

I have straight talk both the $45 unlimited (Smart phone) and the $30 plan.

Which network does good in your area?

For me, I had Verizon previously and the service was good. When we were buying the Straight Talk phones, we bought the ones with "C" in the model number and they work off of Verizon towers. The only change is a cheaper monthly bill.

The only drawback is you have to buy your phone up front.

Gamecocks1137 05-26-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCock (Post 4167658)
I have straight talk both the $45 unlimited (Smart phone) and the $30 plan.

Which network does good in your area?

For me, I had Verizon previously and the service was good. When we were buying the Straight Talk phones, we bought the ones with "C" in the model number and they work off of Verizon towers. The only change is a cheaper monthly bill.

The only drawback is you have to buy your phone up front.

Some of the smaller phones, if he is just buying for his son to use in what I am guessing would be an emergency situation can go for as low as 19.99. That is if your just looking for a phone and nothing fancy.

JoeCock 05-26-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4167733)
Some of the smaller phones, if he is just buying for his son to use in what I am guessing would be an emergency situation can go for as low as 19.99. That is if your just looking for a phone and nothing fancy.

Very true. You can also check the Straight talk web page. I have seen refurbished phones, along with the $30 card, for $35.

unccgamecock 05-26-2014 10:02 PM

You could use a no-contract phone if you absolutely want to avoid a contract. However, me personally, I'd rather make the initial investment of buying a phone out of contract on a reliable network and just paying month to month with Verizon.

Haven't done too much research or heard too much on other services but Walmart does apparently have a pretty good selection. Not sure how great the service is though.

JoeCock 05-26-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccgamecock (Post 4167786)
You could use a no-contract phone if you absolutely want to avoid a contract. However, me personally, I'd rather make the initial investment of buying a phone out of contract on a reliable network and just paying month to month with Verizon.

Haven't done too much research or heard too much on other services but Walmart does apparently have a pretty good selection. Not sure how great the service is though.

My Straight Talk phones use Verizon Towers. Same service, only cheaper.

Captain9Dragons 05-26-2014 10:29 PM

we have straightalk with 2 phones and they work very well (iPhone)

TracPhone makes a decent throw away phone, had good service, a good phone is $20 and a 90 day card is $20, no big deal if you lose it

Antiochus 05-26-2014 11:03 PM

I use Ting. Have had no issues. It charges you for what you use.

Travelin 05-27-2014 05:39 AM

Can you buy a sim card in the states and pay as you go? That's how we do it here in Europe and the UK. If you aren't on a contract, you just insert a sim card and top it up from a fiver. Most sim cards are free or less than a dollar. Just depends on what network works best in you area. I just got out of my contract with Vodafone for 10 years. I'll never have another cell phone contract. Might as well roll down the window in your car and throw your money into the wind.

Cocky chick 05-27-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain9Dragons (Post 4167808)
we have straightalk with 2 phones and they work very well (iPhone)

TracPhone makes a decent throw away phone, had good service, a good phone is $20 and a 90 day card is $20, no big deal if you lose it

I would also do a TracFone in this situation. The phones are cheap but pretty reliable. You don't want to invest in anything that could very easily get lost as your son is playing in the neighborhood.