CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Giant asteroid possibly on collision course with Earth (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206811)

robgusc76 05-27-2014 12:02 AM

Giant asteroid possibly on collision course with Earth

This one is a little scarier warnings from the past!

Quote:

If astronomers are right, all life on this planet could be extinguished in less than 30 years from now. Scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory have detected a large object the size of Manhattan possibly on a collision course with Earth. Using their Near-Earth Object Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (NEOWISE), the 10-mile wide object was found approximately 51 million miles from Earth. Scientists believe that during a close encounter with Mars, the asteroid was nudged slightly off its usual orbit and may currently be on a high speed collision course with our fragile planet.
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1137095

FearThethumbandDJ 05-27-2014 12:07 AM

Re: Giant asteroid possibly on collision course with Earth

Hopefully it hits detroit, chicago, miami or the middle east.

SterlingBrooks 05-27-2014 12:16 AM

we
Quote:

Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ (Post 4167886)
Hopefully it hits detroit, chicago, miami or the middle east.

Doesn't matter where it hits we would all be toast. At least we have 30 years though.

Gamecocks1137 05-27-2014 12:19 AM

It is time to fund NASA more, and fund our Military Space Weapons program. If this thing hits earth, we are all dead. An asteroid that size would wipe everything out, it's collision would darken our planet and potentially upset the earth's plates, essentially sending us into an earthquake/volcanic nightmare. What if it hit the ocean? You think that pacific tsunami was bad? Imagine a 700ft high wall of water hitting every coast around the epicenter of the impact. Not to mention the dust and radiation it will bring and stir up into our atmosphere. We need to develop a weapon strong enough to blow this thing to smithereens. An asteroid that size, will end all life as we know it. Start building now.

M.C. 05-27-2014 12:29 AM

i call bull crap on that article.

Gamecocks1137 05-27-2014 12:29 AM

Ok, so I reread this and caught March 35th as the date? This is from a CNN I reporter. This is a fake. Thanks for worrying the shit out of me for nothing haha.

M.C. 05-27-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4167898)
Ok, so I reread this and caught March 35th as the date? This is from a CNN I reporter. This is a fake. Thanks for worrying the shit out of me for nothing haha.

of course it is fake ... look at the way it is written

TheUSCMike 05-27-2014 12:37 AM

Was this reported by Chicken Little?

Gamecocks1137 05-27-2014 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4167904)
of course it is fake ... look at the way it is written

Well, I was genuinely worried. I saw the CNN logo, read the article and thought, this must be true. I then read the comments below, saw the March 35th thing, reread it and have no idea how I missed that. I guess I should pay more attention next time.

robgusc76 05-27-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4167898)

We dont have a Wink thing on our page. I was wondering if someone was gonna catch it. I got caught by it at first when I read it earlier.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Gamecocks1137 05-27-2014 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4167907)
We dont have a Wink thing on our page. I was wondering if someone was gonna catch it. I got caught by it at first when I read it earlier.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Points to you sir, very seldom does someone's thread scare the crap out of me! :rotfl:

Rex123 05-27-2014 12:47 AM

Are these the scientist who forecasted the meteor shower on Saturday morning?

It was supposed to be up to 100 meteor per hour and I didn't see a single meteorite.

robgusc76 05-27-2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex123 (Post 4167910)
Are these the scientist who forecasted the meteor shower on Saturday morning?

It was supposed to be up to 100 meteor per hour and I didn't see a single meteorite.

No these are Russian scientist.

Regalcock 05-27-2014 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4167893)
It is time to fund NASA more, and fund our Military Space Weapons program. If this thing hits earth, we are all dead. An asteroid that size would wipe everything out, it's collision would darken our planet and potentially upset the earth's plates, essentially sending us into an earthquake/volcanic nightmare. What if it hit the ocean? You think that pacific tsunami was bad? Imagine a 700ft high wall of water hitting every coast around the epicenter of the impact. Not to mention the dust and radiation it will bring and stir up into our atmosphere. We need to develop a weapon strong enough to blow this thing to smithereens. An asteroid that size, will end all life as we know it. Start building now.

Yeah man. We need some space sharks with laser beams on their friggin heads.

Gamecocks1137 05-27-2014 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regalcock (Post 4167920)
Yeah man. We need some space sharks with laser beams on their friggin heads.

Dr Evil is that you? :lol:

bertoholic 05-27-2014 01:29 AM

I'm disappointed. There was not one mention of Bruce Willis or Aerosmith in the comments.

robgusc76 05-27-2014 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertoholic (Post 4167927)
I'm disappointed. There was not one mention of Bruce Willis or Aerosmith in the comments.

We were giving u the honors.

warriorchief 05-27-2014 01:59 AM

So glad I read through the thread before I opened the link, lol. Saved some unneeded worry.

M.C. 05-27-2014 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorchief (Post 4167934)
So glad I read through the thread before I opened the link, lol. Saved some unneeded worry.

Oh you would of known it was bs

warriorchief 05-27-2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4167943)
Oh you would of known it was bs

I dunno, seemed to be a few that didn't catch the "March 35th" or whatever date it was. Pretty sure I wouldn't have either at 1:30am.