CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I am afraid of heights. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206822)

Gamecocks1137 05-27-2014 11:47 PM

I am afraid of heights.
 
I have Acrophobia and have had it since I was a child. I am now 41, and I am still afraid of them. I will not fly on planes, although I can take a roller coaster every now and then. (I attribute some of the fear of planes now to 9/11.) When I was younger I worked framing houses and such, but I never made it long term because I could not go up that high without getting sweaty, weak in the knees, and eventually dizzy. I wanted to know if anyone else here has the same condition, and if they have found a way to cope/deal with it, or overcome it all together.

2000grad 05-27-2014 11:53 PM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
If it makes you feel any better, I'm afraid of widths

Gamecocks1137 05-27-2014 11:55 PM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4168476)
If it makes you feel any better, I'm afraid of widths

I am serious this has plagued me most of my life, I cannot even walk on the upper floors of a mall without moving very far away from the rail. I get dizzy/sweaty, it sucks ass.

2000grad 05-27-2014 11:55 PM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
To be honest, I have phobias as well, but not that one. I'm not sure how to get over it

RGHoskins 05-27-2014 11:57 PM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
I'm afraid of bridges. Over the weekend I was driving with my father and my niece home from Kentucky and had to drive over a temporary bridge that was about 300 feet off the river and I almost had to stop the car. The bridge was down to one lane in both directions and was very bouncy and bumpy. I had cold sweats and was on the verge of a panic attack by the time the bridge was over.

2000grad 05-27-2014 11:58 PM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
I reckon we just pysch ourselves out over our fears

Gamecocks1137 05-28-2014 12:00 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4168481)
I'm afraid of bridges. Over the weekend I was driving with my father and my niece home from Kentucky and had to drive over a temporary bridge that was about 300 feet off the river and I almost had to stop the car. The bridge was down to one lane in both directions and was very bouncy and bumpy. I had cold sweats and was on the verge of a panic attack by the time the bridge was over.

I can understand how you feel, every time I drive over the bridge in Charleston. I feel like I have shortness of breath, my hands get sweaty on the steering wheel and I keep thinking in my head the bridge will collapse. I know logically it most likely will not, but that doesn't help any.

RGHoskins 05-28-2014 12:00 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4168486)
I can understand how you feel, every time I drive over the bridge in Charleston. I feel like I have shortness of breath, my hands get sweaty on the steering wheel and I keep thinking in my head the bridge will collapse. I know logically it most likely will not, but that doesn't help any.

That pretty much nails it.

Gamecocks1137 05-28-2014 12:03 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
What I really want to know is how to conquer this fear. If there is anyone here who has conquered it I would love to know how. A quick search of the internet just says I am in the 3-5% of the world with this crazy fear, but before I pass on, I would like to conquer this.

Master Bedroom 05-28-2014 12:15 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4168481)
I'm afraid of bridges. Over the weekend I was driving with my father and my niece home from Kentucky and had to drive over a temporary bridge that was about 300 feet off the river and I almost had to stop the car. The bridge was down to one lane in both directions and was very bouncy and bumpy. I had cold sweats and was on the verge of a panic attack by the time the bridge was over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4168486)
I can understand how you feel, every time I drive over the bridge in Charleston. I feel like I have shortness of breath, my hands get sweaty on the steering wheel and I keep thinking in my head the bridge will collapse. I know logically it most likely will not, but that doesn't help any.

I am terribly, terribly afraid of heights. My body feels as if it is shutting down in certain situations. I was driving over the bridge to get from Savannah to Hilton Head last weekend and had a similar experience to both of these. Not that I felt the bridge would collapse...but I had a hard time driving the car straight. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older too. I can fly in planes ok but flying into Key West a few years ago was a butt-puckering experience.

Master Bedroom 05-28-2014 12:18 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4168488)
What I really want to know is how to conquer this fear. If there is anyone here who has conquered it I would love to know how. A quick search of the internet just says I am in the 3-5% of the world with this crazy fear, but before I pass on, I would like to conquer this.

It's just mind over matter in some cases depending how severe it is. I did a ropes course when I was younger and loved roller coasters at one point too. I think the fear adds to the thrill/enjoyment if you can get past it. I simply just do not have any desire to do anything that involves extreme heights for "fun" anymore. I would love to go skydiving before I die...but I just do not know if I could hurl my body from a moving plane.

RGHoskins 05-28-2014 12:21 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Bedroom (Post 4168494)
I am terribly, terribly afraid of heights. My body feels as if it is shutting down in certain situations. I was driving over the bridge to get from Savannah to Hilton Head last weekend and had a similar experience to both of these. Not that I felt the bridge would collapse...but I had a hard time driving the car straight. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older too. I can fly in planes ok but flying into Key West a few years ago was a butt-puckering experience.

That's the worst part. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. Not very encouraging.

Gamecocks1137 05-28-2014 12:26 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
I have read somewhere that mammals are naturally afraid of heights, because we aren't suppose to be up that high. It seems a thousand times worse for me though. I really wish I could overcome this without drugs, or alcohol.

Master Bedroom 05-28-2014 12:32 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4168496)
That's the worst part. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. Not very encouraging.

Yea I don't have any hope for it to get any better honestly. Aside from looking like a scared little kid in certain situations...it is what it is

Master Bedroom 05-28-2014 12:34 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
It affects me physically just as much, if not more, than mentally now too. As I mentioned...in certain situations it feels like my body is just going to shut down

The Yancey 05-28-2014 12:37 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
A lot of cognitive therapies treat that sort of thing. RET, NLP, and the like. Most of our fears are based on a good intention at the time. They may be outmoded today but we always need to replace any fear or symptom with an equal or better coping mechanism.

Master Bedroom 05-28-2014 12:39 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Yea....I'm afraid of heights

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/6ed/737...-it-e31287.jpg

TheUSCMike 05-28-2014 12:49 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
I read once that they have troopers stationed at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to help people get across when they freeze up and stop.
I almost died in a wreck on a bridge and still occasionally get nervous when crossing a high one. I have recurring nightmares of bridges collapsing when I'm on them.
As to acrophobia I have that also. I once had a job that involved training people to use high lifts and scaffolds but was able to push through and do it. All the ironworkers that walked the beams would always say after 15 feet it doesn't matter anyway.
I'm not sure that it's something you ever overcome maybe hypnotism might work, but that's not something I would be willing to let anybody do.

robgusc76 05-28-2014 01:05 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4168476)
If it makes you feel any better, I'm afraid of widths

:rotfl::lol::rotfl::bow::thumbsup:

Gamecocks1137 05-28-2014 01:13 AM

Re: I am afraid of heights.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4168533)
:rotfl::lol::rotfl::bow::thumbsup:

I get the joke, but it is about as serious as it gets for me, and everyone else who suffers from this horrible thing. I won't even sit in the upper decks of Williams Brice anymore because of it. Like another poster said before, it just gets worse.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.