CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Some SEC Teams Might Drop FCS Opponents (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206831)

Travelin 05-28-2014 12:10 PM

Some SEC Teams Might Drop FCS Opponents

Quote:

Were probably going to move forward without playing FCS opponents, Muschamp said.
Quote:

The first people that need to be taken into consideration here, who get no consideration, are the fans and the people who support the programs -- the quality of games for them -- so they want to come to the stadium and come to the games and support the programs and make it exciting for the players, Alabama coach Nick Saban said Tuesday. No, we do not want to play those types of teams. Sometimes we dont have a choice.

Earlier this month, Saban talked about the idea of the teams in the power five conferences (SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12) playing only one another. His idea was spot on, and it's one that could help the SEC lose its FCS partners.
Quote:

SEC commissioner Mike Slive said that discussions of FCS opponents didn't come up in Tuesday's meetings and that the decision to play them would be institutional.

Im in favor of our strength of schedule being as good as it can be," Slive said.

We have not told our schools that they cant play FCS schools and we dont have any plans to tell them that.
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...ng-of-the-past

jellafever 05-28-2014 12:15 PM

Re: Some SEC Teams Might Drop FCS Opponents

Of course Florida makes this decision after losing to an FCS team last year.

Nureye 05-28-2014 12:21 PM

I hope we keep the in-state teams on rotation. It's good for everybody in SC.

Wouldn't mind if we stopped playing Wofford though.

weatheredxtown 05-28-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nureye (Post 4168772)
I hope we keep the in-state teams on rotation. It's good for everybody in SC.

Wouldn't mind if we stopped playing Wofford though.

No one would mind if we stopped playing Wofford.

superfly 05-28-2014 12:38 PM

I don't like playing any FCS teams regardless if they are instate or not. They only do it to pad their pockets and there are never sell out crowds for us. They are usually predictable and meaningless in SOS. It's a lose/lose for us and a win/win for them. I would rather we do a home and away with a couple of power conference teams and alternate the away and home schedule.

Latt7more 05-28-2014 12:41 PM

It's just a matter of time before this happens for all power conferences. Just funny Florida makes the move first.

ultimatetailgater 05-28-2014 12:59 PM

I wish we would stop, such a waste of a game.

rioninusc 05-28-2014 01:09 PM

Think it would be better to have them as Exhibition games before the season starts. Don't have them count against the school if they lose them. It's a game mainly to test how the rest of the team can do, and to help the local FCS schools football teams keep afloat. Put this game the 3rd week in August, and problem solved. Have a 11 game season. Make it mandatory for teams to face 9/10 big 5 schools, the last 1/2 can be from a smaller conference.

Todd803 05-28-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4168763)

So why don't we just keep playing 2 ACC teams, it's about the same thing right?

uscgamecocks88 05-28-2014 01:22 PM

I'm fine with not playing fcs teams. They're boring, crowd isn't as exciting, and the fcs teams don't even bring a lot of fans cause they know it's over by half time. By the third quarter, it feels like the spring game almost.

Spartan 05-28-2014 01:55 PM

I like playing 1 in-state FCS team, but I would prefer it be the first game of the year so we can treat it more like a defacto pre-season game even though it would count.

The problem with eliminating them entirely is that they pay their bills by playing the big boys. If there's a way around that issue then I would support not playing them.

Edit: I wish every season could be like last year where our OOC schedule was No. Car, UCF, Coastal, and Clemson.

uscsandstorm85 05-28-2014 01:57 PM

Some teams will trade these games for a Troy or South Alabama caliber opponent.

Emery 05-28-2014 02:15 PM

The sec is tough enough, as long as it's not a rule we need to keep them. It keeps money in state, allows smaller schools to upgrade and keep programs afloat, and gives us a W essentially for showing up.

I don't care if it's a boring game that the stands aren't full for...I'd much prefer to have that then have to play another major conference team and have a higher chance of losing.

Nureye 05-28-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 (Post 4168827)
I'm fine with not playing fcs teams. They're boring, crowd isn't as exciting, and the fcs teams don't even bring a lot of fans cause they know it's over by half time. By the third quarter, it feels like the spring game almost.

How many of you that have this same sentiment purchase season tickets?

JDStud6 05-28-2014 03:04 PM

I'm ok with it if they're in-state schools. That one game will give them enough money to support their football team all year. They need the money!

JD

Spur's Addiction 05-28-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rioninusc (Post 4168812)
Think it would be better to have them as Exhibition games before the season starts. Don't have them count against the school if they lose them. It's a game mainly to test how the rest of the team can do, and to help the local FCS schools football teams keep afloat. Put this game the 3rd week in August, and solution solved. Have a 11 game season. Make it mandatory for teams to face 9/10 big 5 schools, the last 1/2 can be from a smaller conference.

No there's a solution. I like this.

jrussjr 05-28-2014 03:31 PM

Usually the FCS game(s) is the only one that I can afford to take my entire clan to, so for selfish reasons, I would like at least one to be on the schedule (preferably an in state FCS school). Also, as has been stated previously, these schools could really use a "hand up" from THE University of South Carolina.

rioninusc 05-28-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction (Post 4168945)
No there's a solution. I like this.

Glad you didn't nit pick at the solution, since I meant to put problem solved, going to edit it now haha:lol:

The only reason I feel they should still happen is to help keep the smaller schools athletic programs up. I agree with you regardless though. Hate the games myself, would like to replace that game, or get rid of it, and face more teams out of the B1G/Big 12/PAC 12 if possible.

ultimatetailgater 05-28-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nureye (Post 4168931)
How many of you that have this same sentiment purchase season tickets?

Have been every year for over 20 years, haven't missed a game home or away in the last 12 and I can't stand FCS games.

Gamecocks1137 05-28-2014 04:45 PM

We should play at least one FCS team a year. They deserve the money and we deserve the practice.