CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Other Gamecock Sports (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Players from SC in the WCWS . (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206848)

scfastpitch 05-28-2014 09:53 PM

Players from SC in the WCWS .

Just in case anyone besides myself is looking forward to watching the softball college world series tomorrow , I thought I would point out that 5 players from the state of SC will be in Oklahoma City . Also , for me at least , ESPN got it right with the game they chose to put in prime time Thursday night .

We'll start with Kentucky , which usually has shortstop Christian Stokes (Chesterfield) leading off , and centerfielder Sylver Samuel (Hillcrest) batting second . Kentucky doesn't have the awesome offensive stats some of these teams have , and Coach Rachael Lawson was quoted as saying she looked at the team's stats and "can't figure out where the wins are coming from " . But win they have , 49 times so far this year . It helps to have a #1 pitcher as good as Kelsey Nunley . But Kentucky will have their hands full with Louisiana-Lafayette . (And this is the 7pm game tomorrow night ). The Ragin' Cajuns have a good offensive team . A lot of them utilize the "split grip" , with their hands an inch or two apart on the bat . Not sure what that does , but it seems to work for them . They also have a pitcher with a little swagger in Christina Hamilton . Hamilton wears black-rimmed glasses with no lenses . It started as a joke but the look caught on and Ragin' Cajun fans started wearing their own black frames to the games . Should be a fun game .

Alabama plays in the late game Thursday night and they have 2 SC players on their roster . Pitcher Leslie Jury (JL Mann) has been behind All-American Jackie Traina for three years . Unfortunately this season it looks like she might have also slipped behind freshman Sydney Littlejohn . It will be interesting to see who Alabama goes to if Traina struggles at some point . Freshman Marisa Runyan (Carolina Forest) seems to have taken over the DP spot for the Tide . She is a tall left-handed hitter with some power, and she has hit some home runs for them in the post-season .

The 5th player is a 5th year senior at Florida State , 3rd baseman Brianna "Breezy" Hamilton (Byrnes) . Hamilton played for the Gamecocks as a freshman , in Joyce Compton's final season . She didn't hit a lick that season , and sort of disappeared from the team at the end . I was told by one of the parents that she was suspended . After the coaching change I heard that she was going to Florida State . Always lightning quick defensively , she has slowly made herself into a more consistent hitter at FSU . A fiery player , she is fun to watch , and almost guaranteed to make at least one great defensive play per game .

I'll miss some of the games this weekend because of the USC baseball regional , but I'm looking forward to tomorrow .
As the Ragin' Cajuns would say "Laissez les bons temps rouler " .