CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sound City (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206893)

Master Bedroom 05-30-2014 10:41 AM

Sound City
 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoOfiLz1G4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_(film)

The infamous Sound City Studio in LA...it's a 'Rockumentary' about the studio, the equipment, bands, people, and recording technology. Really well done and really interesting to anyone who likes music or recording/producing. It's been around for a while I was just wondering if anyone else here has seen't it? Pretty amazing all the bands that recorded there.

1cockyfool 05-30-2014 10:54 AM

Re: Sound City
 
Great documentary!! I've watched it a few times and have a lot of respect for Dave Grohl for helping put this together. If you are fan of music this is a must see, the history of all the bands that made their biggest hit records there is mind blowing.

Master Bedroom 05-30-2014 11:14 AM

Re: Sound City
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1cockyfool (Post 4170120)
Great documentary!! I've watched it a few times and have a lot of respect for Dave Grohl for helping put this together. If you are fan of music this is a must see, the history of all the bands that made their biggest hit records there is mind blowing.


Agreed on all points

gamecockphan 05-30-2014 03:26 PM

Re: Sound City
 
Great doc IMO.

It came under fire from some music critics and do it yourself musicians who felt that it was overly critical of Pro Tools. The basic premise of the argument is that not everyone can afford studio time and that there are many good to great albums that would not exist without Pro Tools. Pro Tools allowed struggling musicians w/o money to prodcue their art and get it to the masses.

While the "anti"- Music City crowd may have a point, I do think that on some level music has become soulless. Pro Tools is not the only culprit. I mainly think that music streaming services killed the album. Additionally, comsumers no longer have to purchase whole albums and are therefore not as invested in bands,musicians, etc. These however are 2 different conversations - music losing some of it's authenticity is a conversation about the musicians. How we consume music and our attachment (or lack thereof)to certain bands is more about what it means to be a modern fan of music.

Master Bedroom 05-30-2014 04:24 PM

Re: Sound City
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamecockphan (Post 4170303)
Great doc IMO.

It came under fire from some music critics and do it yourself musicians who felt that it was overly critical of Pro Tools. The basic premise of the argument is that not everyone can afford studio time and that there are many good to great albums that would not exist without Pro Tools. Pro Tools allowed struggling musicians w/o money to prodcue their art and get it to the masses.

While the "anti"- Music City crowd may have a point, I do think that on some level music has become soulless. Pro Tools is not the only culprit. I mainly think that music streaming services killed the album. Additionally, comsumers no longer have to purchase whole albums and are therefore not as invested in bands,musicians, etc. These however are 2 different conversations - music losing some of it's authenticity is a conversation about the musicians. How we consume music and our attachment (or lack thereof)to certain bands is more about what it means to be a modern fan of music.

Yea all good points here. There is always going to be the anti crowd to anything..as well as the traditionalist or "originals". I don't think it means that either/or is better/worse or right/wrong. As an amaetuer music producer/recorder I use software that is along the lines of pro tools...but if given the chance I would love to go into a studio like sound city and analog the sh*t out of a record.

1cockyfool 05-30-2014 07:03 PM

Re: Sound City
 
It's great to have the type of technology we have to allow more people the ability to become artist. But, to lose a studio with this type of history just really sucks. That board was unreal, only 4 were made and now Dave has a very big piece of rock n roll history at his house.

LBC 05-30-2014 08:08 PM

Re: Sound City
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Bedroom (Post 4170111)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoOfiLz1G4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_(film)

The infamous Sound City Studio in LA...it's a 'Rockumentary' about the studio, the equipment, bands, people, and recording technology. Really well done and really interesting to anyone who likes music or recording/producing. It's been around for a while I was just wondering if anyone else here has seen't it? Pretty amazing all the bands that recorded there.

This is one of my favorite docs. It is also a great exploration/explanation as to why analog will always be better than digital.

Every single album ever recorded to tape sounds better than any album that has been digitized.

1cockyfool 05-30-2014 11:12 PM

Re: Sound City
 
Man this post has me amped about watching it for a 5th time. And it's so true how much better analog is than digital, you can cover up your flaws with digital software.

Gamecocks1137 05-31-2014 01:51 AM

Re: Sound City
 
Where can I find this documentary in full?

Gamecocks1137 05-31-2014 01:52 AM

Re: Sound City
 
Nevermind I found it. :)



EDIT: Scratch that. As youtube normally does, this is bullshit, and not the whole video. damn hate when they do this to me.

gamecockphan 05-31-2014 11:17 AM

Re: Sound City
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4171102)
Where can I find this documentary in full?

I'm not sure if Netflix has it. I DVR'd it when it was on Palladia.

1cockyfool 06-01-2014 09:27 PM

Re: Sound City
 
I think its on rotten tomatoes if I'm not mistaken.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.