CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Dogs running free in my neighborhood. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206902)

kingoftheroost 05-30-2014 03:49 PM

Dogs running free in my neighborhood.

I've lived in my current home for exactly one year now. Ever since we moved in a year ago, we noticed a group of three medium-sized dogs roaming freely throughout the neighborhood. The dogs once came into my yard and destroyed something (nothing major or expensive at all), so that prompted me to put up a few signs in the neighborhood asking whoever owns the dogs to secure their pets.

That seemed to work for roughly a month, but eventually, the dogs were allowed to have freedom again. As a dog lover myself, I wouldn't really mind it too much IF my family and I could "get to know" the dogs, but the dogs are not friendly, have chased me and my son while we were riding our bikes, and if I call to them and take even one step, they will growl or bark and then run away from me.

I feel like these dogs are a threat to my son, because I'm not convinced an 8-year old boy will command the same respect/fear from the dogs I do. And since I noticed the people just got another dog they also allow to roam (much younger and smaller, but will be about the same size I think), I finally decided to call animal control about it, because these people are simply growing the pack of dogs without thinking of the potential problems the dogs cause.

The problem is, I feel a little guilty about it, because the dogs all do have collars, so I know they belong to someone who lives nearby, and I would hate to lose my dog, but I make sure my dog is either on the leash or on his runner when he is outside. I just wish these people would do the same. I did put up another set of signs, but nothing ever came of them except them being torn down by someone.

Should I feel guilty about it, or did I do the right thing?

cockymac 05-30-2014 03:51 PM

Re: Dogs running free in my neighborhood.

Call Mike Vick. He'll know what to do.

markp_vip 05-30-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoftheroost (Post 4170331)
I've lived in my current home for exactly one year now. Ever since we moved in a year ago, we noticed a group of three medium-sized dogs roaming freely throughout the neighborhood. The dogs once came into my yard and destroyed something (nothing major or expensive at all), so that prompted me to put up a few signs in the neighborhood asking whoever owns the dogs to secure their pets.

That seemed to work for roughly a month, but eventually, the dogs were allowed to have freedom again. As a dog lover myself, I wouldn't really mind it too much IF my family and I could "get to know" the dogs, but the dogs are not friendly, have chased me and my son while we were riding our bikes, and if I call to them and take even one step, they will growl or bark and then run away from me.

I feel like these dogs are a threat to my son, because I'm not convinced an 8-year old boy will command the same respect/fear from the dogs I do. And since I noticed the people just got another dog they also allow to roam (much younger and smaller, but will be about the same size I think), I finally decided to call animal control about it, because these people are simply growing the pack of dogs without thinking of the potential problems the dogs cause.

The problem is, I feel a little guilty about it, because the dogs all do have collars, so I know they belong to someone who lives nearby, and I would hate to lose my dog, but I make sure my dog is either on the leash or on his runner when he is outside. I just wish these people would do the same. I did put up another set of signs, but nothing ever came of them except them being torn down by someone.

Should I feel guilty about it, or did I do the right thing?

As a dog lover and owner of 4 dogs I say you're doing the right thing. It's not safe for people in your neighborhood or for the dogs themselves to be wandering around off leash.

Captain9Dragons 05-30-2014 04:01 PM

Airsoft fan here, for stray dogs/cats, kinda fun too

Master Bedroom 05-30-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp_vip (Post 4170340)
As a dog lover and owner of 4 dogs I say you're doing the right thing. It's not safe for people in your neighborhood or for the dogs themselves to be wandering around off leash.

This is right. If you had killed the dogs that would be different, but people should take care of their own animals. Maybe having to pay to get them out of hopp will make the owners think twice about allowing them to roam free.

The Yancey 05-30-2014 04:21 PM

You moved into their hood. Now you gonna cause problems. Expect to get many problems back. Never a good idea to make enemies.

SwampFox 05-30-2014 04:32 PM

What are the local ordinances regarding dogs? Where I live, dogs are not allowed to run loose, and if animal control gets involved, you will be fined. My labs did dig out once before I put up a containment wire, but all they did was play with the neighborhood kids until I got home.

A. Pilgrim 05-30-2014 04:34 PM

Do you have a homeowners association?

doc 05-30-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4170394)
You moved into their hood. Now you gonna cause problems. Expect to get many problems back. Never a good idea to make enemies.

What should he do?

Captain9Dragons 05-30-2014 04:41 PM

SC has a statewide leash law

i had animal control come out, then deputies, after 4 years of a large american bulldog growling at me in my yard/garage, signed an arrest warant and we settled in court, no problem since

good times

if the dogs are not dangerous i would just ignore them

Acockolypse Now 05-30-2014 04:41 PM

So.

You have no idea who let the dogs out?

etowngangsta 05-30-2014 05:08 PM

http://site.airgundepot.com/content/...r/features.jpg

cockattorney2 05-30-2014 05:11 PM

you did the right thing. as stated, there are leash laws.... and I have seen firsthand what can happen when a dog runs out in the road in front of bikes... it's not pretty and the homeowner doesn't like the bill they get for "just a bike"... much less the hospital bill that they have to pay since they are responsible for the animal...

not the animal's fault... completely on the owner. So, you did right by calling animal control, especially in a neighborhood.

kingoftheroost 05-30-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampFox (Post 4170437)
What are the local ordinances regarding dogs? Where I live, dogs are not allowed to run loose, and if animal control gets involved, you will be fined. My labs did dig out once before I put up a containment wire, but all the did was play with the neighborhood kids until I got home.

See Captain9's first line below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain9Dragons (Post 4170460)
SC has a statewide leash law

i had animal control come out, then deputies, after 4 years of a large american bulldog growling at me in my yard/garage, signed an arrest warant and we settled in court, no problem since

good times

if the dogs are not dangerous i would just ignore them

Correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4170441)
Do you have a homeowners association?

We have restrictions, but no HOA.

kingoftheroost 05-30-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4170462)
So.

You have no idea who let the dogs out?

Well done sir.

kingoftheroost 05-30-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Don't think I haven't thought about this very thing. It's one of the reasons it took me a while to decide to call about it. But once the dogs started pursuing me and my son and growling/barking, I decided I would rather have mad neighbors than an injured/dead son. When it comes to that, then it's a no-brainer decision.

TheUSCMike 05-30-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etowngangsta (Post 4170515)

He'll shoot his eye out

AtlGAMECOCK 05-30-2014 08:29 PM

You did the right thing , I got bite by some dogs just like you are talking about. You get dogs in a pack and they will change in behavior.

M.C. 05-30-2014 08:33 PM

dude don't feel bad your doing the right thing...If you feel your child or anyone is in danger then like you said it is a no brainer and the neighbors wouldn't even know you called.

M.C. 05-30-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Is this a joke? He called for the safety of his kid..Also how are they gonna know who called?