CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   One more game (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206945)

petecock 05-31-2014 03:21 PM

One more game

With apologies in advance for my ignorance, including if re-hashing previous topics, but the new playoff scheme will more benefit talent rich teams because it is one more game after we beat the tar out of each other all year and again, lol, on new year's day! Would Auburn with Cam Newton have had enough gas? How about replacing our conference title game with standings and polls? Hope I haven't committed SEC blasphemy!!!

TAFC 5 1981 05-31-2014 04:58 PM

Re: One more game

Tough call. The SEC championship game may be a way for a team to break into the top four (and may cause another to drop out).

uscsandstorm85 06-03-2014 02:06 AM

I do not see how one extra game benefits talented teams more than others.

Gamecocks1137 06-03-2014 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 (Post 4174860)
I do not see how one extra game benefits talented teams more than others.

If you want to pad stats it does, other than that, nothing.

fullser 06-03-2014 08:14 PM

i totally agree with Gamecocks1137... ;)

B-G 06-03-2014 08:33 PM

Auburn with Cam would have with this new format

Also that year the final four would have been Auburn, Oregon, TCU, Stanford.

petecock 06-04-2014 10:42 PM

Allow me to re-phrase it. One more game, SEC championship + one more game, playoffs = greater risk to injury and becoming like Florida or Georgia last year.
I'm just saying that our conference schedules are tough enough without the title game.
I can't remember when that game had a doubtful outcome anyways, and, the winner was expected to play for number one in the country. Why play it?
Let the records stand and take a break before playing, potentially, two more games (one more + one, lol).
Matter of fact, isn't it possible that the SEC Championship game could become the same match-up in the playoff format?
I'm just axin. Give it some thought. We are not the ACC, nor the Big and PAC XX. We ARE college football, and here to stay for a while.

Thenardier 06-05-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petecock (Post 4171460)
With apologies in advance for my ignorance, including if re-hashing previous topics, but the new playoff scheme will more benefit talent rich teams because it is one more game after we beat the tar out of each other all year and again, lol, on new year's day! Would Auburn with Cam Newton have had enough gas? How about replacing our conference title game with standings and polls? Hope I haven't committed SEC blasphemy!!!

Yeah, d'uh.

petecock 06-05-2014 02:52 AM

OK.
Forget Cam Newton, please, and hear me out, without the "duhs" and this is a stupid post crap, and consider that no team in the country plays a harder schedule than we members of the SEC.
Then why play a gotcha game which increases risk?
The new-format playoffs make our champ game a liability, not an asset.
The best I can figure from your responses is that you assume that South Carolina will be an also-ran, only benefitting from a championship game which kicks someone else to the curb.
Nay! That guy could be you! Us.