CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Sarge (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Who pitches tomorrow? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206952)

Copperhead 06-01-2014 12:23 AM

Who pitches tomorrow?

With us having to win 2 games tomorrow, who do you think toes the rubber in game 1. game 2 vs Terps, and Mondays outing. Yep, I'm optimistic

ktguen 06-01-2014 12:30 AM

Re: Who pitches tomorrow?

I kind of think with your backs against the wall you stick with Crowe tomorrow day. You can't look forward to the next game when there might not be a next game.

Unknit 06-01-2014 12:38 AM

I am actually optimistic as well. I say tomorrow go with Reed Scott and then hope we only have to use one reliever. Game 2 go with Crowe and also hope we only have to use one reliever. Then for a game 3 hopefully we will have 2 or 3 guys left who can hold it together and take us all the way through.

I just took a look at the box scores from all the other games, and Campbell does not have a lot of reliable pitchers left looking at their pitching roster, as far as reliable pitchers are concerned.

Maryland has a little bit more left than them, but we still have more depth than Maryland. Maryland has used their best relievers fro what I can tell from their stat sheet. On the other hand, we still have Crowe, Mincey, Seddon, Reagan, Fiori, and Scott left. They all need to do a good job if we are to win 3 in a row, but it is not far-fetched to believe they can. I guess we shall see.

GamecockUltimate 06-01-2014 12:39 AM

If you cant beat campbell with scott you cant beat umd with him, which you would have to do to win the regional. Id go scott, crowe, wholestaff

jesse james 06-01-2014 12:50 AM

Definitely hold Crowe for the night game tomorrow.

What about Wynkoop though? He only threw two innings today . . . could he come back and throw the first game tomorrow or do you hold him for a Monday game?

SAETerrier 06-01-2014 12:53 AM

Scott for day game & Crowe for MD at night. No idea for Monday…probably good ole Johnny Wholestaff if we get that far.

Unknit 06-01-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse james (Post 4172512)

What about Wynkoop though? He only threw two innings today . . . could he come back and throw the first game tomorrow or do you hold him for a Monday game?

He threw 45 pitches. That isn't necessarily a small amount, but I think in an emergency situation he could throw Monday for a couple of innings. I am no expert, but I am just guessing because at some point if you start running out of pitchers, you may have no choice.

ConwayGamecock 06-01-2014 03:00 AM

Maryland has already used their top 2 pitchers in the regional: Stinnett who threw 118 pitches Friday, and Shawaryn Saturday (111 pitches). So the same questions apply for them. They have Jake Drossner who is their 3rd pitcher who has decent numbers (4-1, 2.45 ERA in 58.2 IP)....after that they don't have anyone with major innings. Throwing Crowe against Drossner Sunday night would be the optimal matchup for USC...

Campbell used Bowers in the Fri game (98 pitches), and Cedano Saturday (100 pitches). They have their #3 starter Koopman who is a Sr. and threw 96.2 innings this season, going 8-1 with a 2.79 ERA, so if Scott goes up against Koopman it could be a tough matchup. Then again Bowers was 10-3 on the year too and we got 9 hits and scored 3 earned runs against him, so....

Thing in our favor is Campbell also heavily used their closer Ryan Thompson, who pitched against both USC (36 pitches), and against Old Dominian (62 pitches). Beyond Campbell's starters and their closer, they don't really have a ton of depth in their BP, so IMO they will be fairly low in the tank tomorrow. Plus they have to be thinking, "what if we beat USC - what then? Who do we pitch versus MD?" They will also have some tough questions to answer tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Widener may turn out to be an unsung hero for us this regional by his efforts Saturday, saving the Gamecock bullpen. Beyond him only Seddon has pitched, and he threw 20 pitches Friday. We're pretty much at full strength, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Wynkoop make an appearance tomorrow vs Campbell - he only threw 45 pitches Saturday, and his arm should be fairly fresh. Not for an entire game's length, but for 3-4 innings he could do fine, sure. If we can somehow save him for Monday then that would be very favorable for us, as MD would have to scrap something together for their pitching...

The thing is we need to start tomorrow's games - both of them - with some fire and a sense of urgency. We fell into a hole due to Widener not getting it going, but after those first 2-3 innings we really outplayed MD the rest of the way. We just didn't do enough to make up for the early jump they took on us. Hopefully we jump on Campbell first....

I sure wish Evan Beal was able to figure his issues out this season, as his experience could've been very helpful for us in this situation. He was left off the post-season roster: I doubt we'll be seeing him play for USC again....

Taylorspur 06-01-2014 04:31 AM

Wynkoop's velocity is gone south. He pretty much is pitching batting practice plus he is now having defensive lapses. Go with the other guys if we are fortunate enough to get there.

U-Dub Gamecock 06-01-2014 07:49 AM

I'd throw Reed Scott against Campbell, but I think Holbrook will use Crowe.

davidmc467 06-01-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse james (Post 4172512)

Wynkoop doesn't need to see the mound again this weekend. His last few starts have been meltdowns.

I'd feel ok with Scott in the day and Crowe at night. But, you can't just write off Campbell as an automatic win.

tomtomusc 06-01-2014 09:21 AM

throw scott, crowe and start seddon Monday

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android

Coulwoodwarlord 06-01-2014 09:35 AM

Pretty sure we'll see Crow up first. I'd be stunned if that wasn't the case.

conwaycock2 06-01-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord (Post 4172606)

That is what will happen imo. And there is a strong argument to be made that is what should happen. We also have a history of success doing just that. With all that, I wouldn't do it in this case (exhibit 1 as to why I'm not a coach). I would start Reed & keep him on a very short leash.

2nd place or 3rd place in a regional makes zero difference. Go with what gives you the best chance to win, not place. But as a coach, if you leave this regional with Crowe sitting in the dugout without throwing pitch one, you will hear about it FOREVER. That, and the fact that you must win game 3 to play game 4, probably dictates starting Crowe..

Regalcock 06-01-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord (Post 4172606)

If you don't pitch him and we lose then it will be...bad.

talon 06-01-2014 12:29 PM

must win 2 today for it to matter. I would look at the match ups and decide but I would go with scott and if we win Crowe. tomorrow depends on who hasn't thrown.

uscGRAD04 06-01-2014 12:48 PM

Last time we saw Crowe (which seems like a month ago) he pitched an absolute gem. Don't want to be saying What If tonight. Gotta throw him against Campbell.

ConwayGamecock 06-01-2014 04:34 PM

nm....

CaptainCock91 06-01-2014 11:58 PM

We solved that issue.

Ole Gregg 06-02-2014 12:15 AM

so who pitches tomorrow?