CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Long-term accommodations in Beaufort? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206985)

kingoftheroost 06-02-2014 10:13 AM

Long-term accommodations in Beaufort?

Hey everyone. I have done a few searches, but I haven't really found much, so I thought I would turn to my CT folks.

I have applied for a position that is located in Beaufort, SC. If I get the position, I don't plan on relocating, because my wife's career is in the upstate, and she definitely makes a larger salary. In the event I do get the job, I'm going to need a place to stay during the week (traditional M-F), but the only things I have found are a minimum of $500/month, and I know we wouldn't be able to afford that with what we already have to pay out each month. Does anyone have any ideas of somewhere in or relatively near Beaufort I could check into? Thanks!

cocky0 06-02-2014 11:33 AM

Re: Long-term accommodations in Beaufort?

You probably won't find anything under $500 per month anywhere in Beaufort. Your best bet might be to look in the surrounding counties and plan on commuting 30-45 minutes.

kingoftheroost 06-02-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocky0 (Post 4174309)
You probably won't find anything under $500 per month anywhere in Beaufort. Your best bet might be to look in the surrounding counties and plan on commuting 30-45 minutes.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I'm not really familiar with the area, though, so I'm not sure which areas are within that commute time.

COCKDIESEL 06-02-2014 11:42 AM

Look in Ridgeland or maybe even Walterboro depending on where in Beaufort you would be.

ColaCock 06-02-2014 11:53 AM

$500 per month? Damn that is cheap! I am surprised you found that.

Look at Yemassee and maybe even some of the inland places and you might get lucky...St. Helena, Land's End, Frogmore, etc.

kingoftheroost 06-02-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4174324)
$500 per month? Damn that is cheap! I am surprised you found that.

Look at Yemassee and maybe even some of the inland places and you might get lucky...St. Helena, Land's End, Frogmore, etc.

Thanks. The $500/month was only one thing I found, and it was an old, single-wide trailer that didn't look to be in the best condition.

kingoftheroost 06-02-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL (Post 4174317)
Look in Ridgeland or maybe even Walterboro depending on where in Beaufort you would be.

Thank you. The job is at the Technical College of the Lowcountry which is almost right beside Beaufort Memorial hospital, if that tells you anything. But it's nice to have some other areas to check.

cocky0 06-02-2014 12:42 PM

Another option would be to scour craigslist for roommate ads. You might luck up and find something that way.

Tony 06-02-2014 02:13 PM

I can tell you the motels there are very high priced, due to the Marine base. When they have graduation, you can't even find a room. It's worth the drive to I-95 to get a cheap room.

usc_yogi 06-02-2014 03:00 PM

You could always shack up with a hot co-ed down at USC Beaufort. :woo:

Another option would be to spring for a camper and stay at one of the campgrounds.

Seriously, the best bet is to commute from a surrounding area. Figure out how far you are willing to drive and look at all those surrounding areas. As one would imagine, the more inland the cheaper the rent. The access to 95 should make the commute decent.

Metalrush24 06-02-2014 03:26 PM

I live in Ridgeland and my girlfriend lives in Beaufort (her mother actually is a professor at TCL) and I've lived here my entire life, so feel free to PM me if you have any specifics to ask or anything. :thumbsup:

gamecock88 06-02-2014 08:25 PM

Can't afford $500+ a month but you want a job in Beaufort? I don't follow the logic of applying for something clear across the state but not being able to afford housing when you get there. Don't take the job. Find something closer to home since your wife is the primary bread winner.

COCKDIESEL 06-02-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoftheroost (Post 4174342)
Thank you. The job is at the Technical College of the Lowcountry which is almost right beside Beaufort Memorial hospital, if that tells you anything. But it's nice to have some other areas to check.

Isn't that closer to Bluffton than Beaufort? Maybe try Hardeeville or like someone else said Yemassee or Varnville.

RudeCock 06-02-2014 08:45 PM

Try local hotels, should be able to get weekly rates less than that and you don't have to clean up.

Metalrush24 06-02-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL (Post 4174656)
Isn't that closer to Bluffton than Beaufort? Maybe try Hardeeville or like someone else said Yemassee or Varnville.

TCL has a campus in Bluffton/Hardeeville and in Beaufort (which is the main campus)

CockyLifer 06-02-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamecock88 (Post 4174641)
Can't afford $500+ a month but you want a job in Beaufort? I don't follow the logic of applying for something clear across the state but not being able to afford housing when you get there. Don't take the job. Find something closer to home since your wife is the primary bread winner.

My thoughts.

roosterdude21 06-02-2014 11:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/4dhMqw2.jpg