CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The GRE and Grad School (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206986)

Kaka 06-02-2014 10:40 AM

The GRE and Grad School

How difficult is the gre? Can I take it more than once?

About grad school, I'm thinking usc since I have a good job here. Idk if I should go for Spanish or Journalism though, how good is it to get a masters in journalism?

kingoftheroost 06-02-2014 10:59 AM

Re: The GRE and Grad School

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4174267)
How difficult is the gre? Can I take it more than once?

About grad school, I'm thinking usc since I have a good job here. Idk if I should go for Spanish or Journalism though, how good is it to get a masters in journalism?

The GRE isn't very difficult, but you may take it multiple times if you wish.

Kaka 06-02-2014 11:06 AM

Would it look bad if I take it more than once?

markp_vip 06-02-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4174287)

You're better off doing a bunch of practice tests and then taking the real thing just once.

kingoftheroost 06-02-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4174287)

No, because you should only submit your highest to the school(s) to which you are applying. You would have no reason to tell them you took it more than once, but lots of people take it more than once, so it's not a big deal if you do as well.

kingoftheroost 06-02-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp_vip (Post 4174298)
You're better off doing a bunch of practice tests and then taking the real thing just once.

I agree with this, but some of my friends told me the practice tests didn't really prepare them for the real thing. Since I didn't take any practice tests, I don't know personally. I only took the GRE once, and my score was plenty high enough to qualify me for all the schools I was considering.

MOB49 06-02-2014 07:48 PM

All GRE scores are submitted to Grad Schools, and they take the highest score for verbal, math, and writing. A common practice it to take the GRE's twice. The first to focus on math. The second to focus on verbal.

Make sure the field that you plan on majoring in has a great job market. There is no point of going to Grad school and increasing your debt when companies are not hiring in your field.

GarnetInChicago 06-02-2014 08:24 PM

What is your reason for going for a grad degree? Considering the enormous cost, you should definitely think about the return you'll get for your investment. You said don't even know which grad degree you'd go get, so do you have a reason for enrolling? (That's not meant to be criticism or to deter you - but you're considering spending tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars for this, so it's something you need to consider)

ccured 06-02-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOB49 (Post 4174600)
All GRE scores are submitted to Grad Schools, and they take the highest score for verbal, math, and writing. A common practice it to take the GRE's twice. The first to focus on math. The second to focus on verbal.

Make sure the field that you plan on majoring in has a great job market. There is no point of going to Grad school and increasing your debt when companies are not hiring in your field.

Yep my wife is sitting on $60k on a field she used for a year or two. Make sure you have a plan

ccured 06-02-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOB49 (Post 4174600)

Yep my wife is sitting on $60k on a field she used for a year or two. She decided it wasnt for her. Make sure you have a plan

Sonofacock 06-03-2014 03:33 AM

I have to take the GMAT pretty soon

Kaka 06-03-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacock (Post 4174880)
I have to take the GMAT pretty soon

From my little research, it says that journalists with a master are most likely to take the higher position jobs.

About how much is grad school at usc?

RoyalAir 06-03-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4175184)
From my little research, it says that journalists with a master are most likely to take the higher position jobs.

About how much is grad school at usc?

No offense, but I don't think you're a good candidate for grad school. You need to know what you want to study, why you want to study it, the market for the degree you're going to get, and a decent understanding of the return on investment for the degree itself.

A master's degree in journalism is only good if you want to become a journalism professor, and even then you need a lot of experience as an actual reporter. The J-school at USC is no joke; your professors know what they're talking about, and have loads of experience on top of those degrees. If you want to be a reporter, go be a reporter. Having a master's degree won't help you much in that regard.

markp_vip 06-03-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoftheroost (Post 4174301)
I agree with this, but some of my friends told me the practice tests didn't really prepare them for the real thing. Since I didn't take any practice tests, I don't know personally. I only took the GRE once, and my score was plenty high enough to qualify me for all the schools I was considering.

I don't know if the test has changed any from when I took it, but the practice tests prepared me pretty well for it. That being said, I thingk practice test and preparing are only going to improve any score marginally, because they aren't testing things that can be crammed in a couple month period. You pretty much know what you know.

Kaka 06-03-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalAir (Post 4175197)
No offense, but I don't think you're a good candidate for grad school. You need to know what you want to study, why you want to study it, the market for the degree you're going to get, and a decent understanding of the return on investment for the degree itself.

A master's degree in journalism is only good if you want to become a journalism professor, and even then you need a lot of experience as an actual reporter. The J-school at USC is no joke; your professors know what they're talking about, and have loads of experience on top of those degrees. If you want to be a reporter, go be a reporter. Having a master's degree won't help you much in that regard.

Journalism is a lot more than just being a "reporter."
I have to take the gre before I even apply, I just started to research grad school and what I want to get out of it.

Metalrush24 06-03-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp_vip (Post 4175204)
I don't know if the test has changed any from when I took it, but the practice tests prepared me pretty well for it. That being said, I thingk practice test and preparing are only going to improve any score marginally, because they aren't testing things that can be crammed in a couple month period. You pretty much know what you know.

Yeah, I took it in January going into it after attending a free workshop that USC offered the previous semester. The workshop along with doing a few word/definition exercises in the month before really helped sharpen up for it and to know what to expect. In the long run, though,most of the stuff on the exam were items that should be common knowledge after completing basic college English and math classes. I did take a practice test the day before with the main purpose being to get down a good cadence for taking the test itself rather than trying to make sure answers were correct.

RoyalAir 06-03-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4175222)
Journalism is a lot more than just being a "reporter."
I have to take the gre before I even apply, I just started to research grad school and what I want to get out of it.

Yeah, I know it is. I went to USC's journalism school.

What do you want to do with a master's in journalism?

Kaka 06-03-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalAir (Post 4175233)
Yeah, I know it is. I went to USC's journalism school.

What do you want to do with a master's in journalism?

I feel like there are some things that I can get better at, writting being one of them.

From what I read, a master will set you apart from the rest which isn't a bad thing.

My supervisor told me that I could go to school and work if I wanted to... I say to myself, why not? A master would only educate me more...

robgusc76 06-03-2014 10:17 PM

I understand the USC deal, but you also have some other options, look around at other masters schools that have you want, some don't require a GRE. The only reason for taking that test is so they have more criteria to make a decision.

ShutTheSuccop 06-03-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4175349)
I feel like there are some things that I can get better at, writting being one of them.

From what I read, a master will set you apart from the rest which isn't a bad thing.

My supervisor told me that I could go to school and work if I wanted to... I say to myself, why not? A master would only educate me more...

Ever considered the international business program?...you already have the second language for the program