CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2014 Super Regionals (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207003)

jesse james 06-03-2014 11:38 AM

2014 Super Regionals
 
Wow. Only seven of the sixteen #1 seeds in Regional play made it through to the Super Regional round, and only three of the top eight National Seeds.

Of the 16 teams in the Supers, only four were ranked in the top 10 in the final regular season poll, and six were not even ranked in the top 25.

And only one (Texas) of the twelve top baseball programs in terms of total wins since 2000 made it to the Super Regional round (even though all of them but Wichita made the post-season tournament).

Top 12 teams (with wins since 2000):

FSU - 737
SC - 713
Rice - 703
UNC - 688
Texas - 676+
LSU - 667
Fullerton - 650
Wichita - 641
Arizona St - 641
Ga Tech - 638
Clemson - 635
Miami - 626

Evilchicken2 06-03-2014 01:07 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
The tourney is watered down IMO with all these flukey programs and upsets. No South Cack? No LSU? No FSU? No Florida? No Oregon St? Boo.

The cinderellas will fall in the Supers (except where there two Cindies, lol) and the CWS will be uninteresting.

JerseyBird 06-03-2014 01:22 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse james (Post 4175027)
Wow. Seven of the sixteen #1 seeds in Regional play didnt make it through to the Super Regional Round

I counted only 7 of the 16 #1's making it in

Rooster2007 06-03-2014 01:40 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
CofC at least gives me a reason to watch. Would love to see them make it through, not just because I'm an alum, but you gotta pull for Monty Lee.

jesse james 06-03-2014 02:04 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4175083)
I counted only 7 of the 16 #1's making it in

Haha. You're right - I had my numbers reversed. Fixed it. Thanks.

ktguen 06-03-2014 02:39 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
I really think Virginia has been the most (only?) consistent team all year. They're my pick to win it all.

rioninusc 06-03-2014 03:05 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Here's my Final 8.

OK St.
UT
UL
Vandy
COC
TCU
Ole Miss
UM

JerseyBird 06-03-2014 03:40 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse james (Post 4175102)
Haha. You're right - I had my numbers reversed. Fixed it. Thanks.

No problem - just making sure myself.

Either way, pretty impressive how many upsets there were, which you figure takes a very slight amount of sting off of our loss. Would have sucked if 15 of 16 #1's advanced and we were the only ones who didn't :angrycoc:

markp_vip 06-03-2014 03:53 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4175138)
No problem - just making sure myself.

Either way, pretty impressive how many upsets there were, which you figure takes a very slight amount of sting off of our loss. Would have sucked if 15 of 16 #1's advanced and we were the only ones who didn't :angrycoc:

Misery sure does love company.

JerseyBird 06-03-2014 05:01 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
I'll take all the company I can get at this point :club:

B-G 06-03-2014 05:53 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
People watch this after we get eliminated?

uscjeremynca 06-03-2014 06:34 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktguen (Post 4175118)
I really think Virginia has been the most (only?) consistent team all year. They're my pick to win it all.

Absolutely not. The ACC is crap. The ACC has been crap for 50 years. They are the biggest joke in the history of college baseball. The top 3 teams in appearances without a title are all ACC teams. There is no way an ACC will win.

If this did happen, the irony would be that the ACC would win a title in the most diluted CWS field in history.

SanAntonioCock 06-03-2014 06:41 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by uscjeremynca (Post 4175264)
Absolutely not. The ACC is crap. The ACC has been crap for 50 years. They are the biggest joke in the history of college baseball. The top 3 teams in appearances without a title are all ACC teams. There is no way an ACC will win.

If this did happen, the irony would be that the ACC would win a title in the most diluted CWS field in history.

I'm like a swallow returning to Capistrano. It's June so I watch college baseball. It has become part of my DNA.

JerseyBird 06-03-2014 08:05 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
A swallow who quoted the wrong post?

:wink:

GamecockInHell 06-03-2014 08:25 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
I guess I'll watch out of habit. And I'll probably pull for C of C and Kennesaw State since they are probably the biggest underdogs.

Spurrier_Superior_One 06-03-2014 08:28 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 (Post 4175072)
The tourney is watered down IMO with all these flukey programs and upsets. No South Cack? No LSU? No FSU? No Florida? No Oregon St? Boo.

The cinderellas will fall in the Supers (except where there two Cindies, lol) and the CWS will be uninteresting.

You can say the same thing about the Mercers and FGCUs in the NCAA basketball tourney that they are fluking upsets but that is why you play the game. No doubt there is a lot to be desired for the field but it happens.

USCBatgirl21 06-05-2014 05:14 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4175239)
People watch this after we get eliminated?

Yes because some of us love college baseball, even if we aren't playing.

markp_vip 06-05-2014 05:33 PM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4176834)
Yes because some of us love college baseball, even if we aren't playing.

Yep, I usually keep watching, but sometimes it gets a little too painful. Gotta give some respect to the LSU fans, lots of them go to the World Series every year whether LSU is there or not.

U-Dub Gamecock 06-06-2014 07:10 AM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Shoot yeah, I will watch... There are a few teams I am interested in watching..... La-La, CofC, and anyone that plays Texas( Houston)

USCBatgirl21 06-06-2014 11:23 AM

Re: 2014 Super Regionals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock (Post 4177108)
Shoot yeah, I will watch... There are a few teams I am interested in watching..... La-La, CofC, and anyone that plays Texas( Houston)

The ONLY thing I am interested in ULL doing is LOSING! I still hate them. Their fans were obnoxious!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.