CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Eats (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   What is your "go-to meal" to make an impression? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207013)

warriorchief 06-04-2014 03:53 AM

What is your "go-to meal" to make an impression?

Title is self-explanatory, what is your go-to meal whenever you need to impress? Whether it be a potential relationship, your significant other of many years, in-laws, friends, co-workers, whatever.

Yancey, don't make us look too bad

Regalcock 06-04-2014 04:33 AM

Re: What is your "go-to meal" to make an impression?

French toast is what my family loves me to make for them. It's easy but it takes care to get it perfect.

JoeMorrisonLives 06-04-2014 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorchief (Post 4175589)
Title is self-explanatory, what is your go-to meal whenever you need to impress? Whether it be a potential relationship, your significant other of many years, in-laws, friends, co-workers, whatever.

Yancey, don't make us look too bad

I would make this pork sub of my own creation, that I've named for my surname because it's very French in it's influence and as is my last name. It's great and comes with a ready made bragging point that it's an original.

cocky0 06-04-2014 07:24 AM

It depends on the person I'm impressing. I have done things like bacon wrapped meatloaf and spinach roulade and Pork Wellington and risotto for women who wanted something "fancy". For potluck dinners I've brought things like the crack dip I mentioned in another thread as well as a smoky cheddar and bacon cheeseball. If dessert is what is expected, nobody who likes cheesecake will be disappointed by my version which is a very dense NY style. My wife's family goes nuts over my mashed potatoes, but her grandfather says he could probably live off of my collard greens.

I have a very delicious meatball recipe that my wife's German grandmother showed me, and everyone really enjoys that. I also make one very tasty and very popular copycat of Olive Garden's zuppa toscana. Generally a 4 gallon pot of that will only last a few days after the friends and family are done fighting over the leftovers.

Really I just cook whatever flows with the people and the setting. I know ahead of time that most yankees will scoff at my bourbon-flambé shrimp and cheese grits while the southerners will devour it. The good thing is I can cook or bake just about anything anyone wants, so it works out well when I'm trying to impress with food. Just don't ask me to fry chicken for you, because I don't think I do it very well.

eightohhthree 06-04-2014 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Any excuse I can find to break out the smoker. Just finished off the last of this from my Memorial Day party.

usc1 06-04-2014 08:13 AM

A tall cold glass of pickle juice.

HeadCockFan 06-04-2014 08:55 AM

Fried chicken tenders, sushi rice, and asparagus. I have perfected all three. Takes about an hour.

etowngangsta 06-04-2014 08:55 AM

I just make her a bowl of cereal or hand her a pop tart as she is walking out the door the next morning...

etowngangsta 06-04-2014 08:59 AM

Ribeye medium rare with my marinade cooked over charcoal. Asparagus and twice baked potatoes. If it's cold out chicken and rice or home made chicken noodle soup.

Metalrush24 06-04-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightohhthree (Post 4175623)
Any excuse I can find to break out the smoker. Just finished off the last of this from my Memorial Day party.

Dang, man. It's too early for this! :lol:

2000grad 06-04-2014 09:01 AM

Fajitas and homemade guacamole

A. Pilgrim 06-04-2014 09:07 AM

breakfast foods. always breakfast foods.

The Yancey 06-04-2014 09:40 AM

1: BBQ. My smoker will do things you just can't do any other way. I would do pulled pork for a gathering if I had time. Smoked meatballs if I need something in a few hours.

2: Grilled avocados. Can be done just as easily on the stove. Halve and pit avocado. Brush with fresh lemon. Season heavily. I prefer a Greek seasoning. Put cut side down on a hot grill or lightly oiled non stick pan. Flip onto medium part of grill after a few minutes after it gets some browning. Fill pit with either salsa and shredded Mexican cheeses or feta in a garlicky raita. Close lid or pour an inch of water in the pan and cover. After 3-5 minutes the cheese will be melted and the avocado heated through. Remove and serve. Flambe' with either tequila or brandy table side.

Want a light dessert that is perfect for summer? My mother made these for me back in the 50s-60s. http://www.snackworks.com/recipe/fam...oll-53331.aspx

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...r_Roll-230.jpg

HUGEGARNETCOCK 06-04-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etowngangsta (Post 4175639)
I just make her a bowl of cereal or hand her a pop tart as she is walking out the door the next morning...

Hey that is my dish! :rotfl:

Woody7687 06-04-2014 10:33 AM

Anytime I want to impress anyone, I break out all the stops and smoke a few racks or baby backs. Never had anyone leave hungry and not impressed so I would have to say they would be my go to.

gamecockphan 06-04-2014 10:42 AM

1. Seared duck breast with a cherry reduction sauce
2. Steak au poivre with cognac cream sauce
3. Pan seared scallops over asparagus and green pea risotto

I've got various side dishes I can make to go with all of the above plus several interesting salads, apps and desserts that I make.

Travelin 06-04-2014 11:04 AM

I normally go for one of my fav comfort food recipes. Easy, but good and usually the guest haven't had it before.

Mexican Corn Bread

Ground Beef cooked in a taco seasoning, or similar. with onions and garlic if you like. Then mix in some grated mature cheddar.

Corn Bread mix with a can of creamed corn mix through.- Half of it in lightly greased casserole dish and add the beef mixture, . Then add the rest of the grated cheese and top that off with the other half of the corn bread mix.(stir it up again before topping up to mix up the corn)

Bake it at about 325 until nice and light brown on top.

Serve it with a salad with your favorite dressing

Might as well keep it easy and good and serve up fudge brownies with vanilla ice cream afterwards.

CockyFanForLife 06-04-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4175693)
Want a light dessert that is perfect for summer? My mother made these for me back in the 50s-60s. http://www.snackworks.com/recipe/fam...oll-53331.aspx

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...r_Roll-230.jpg

I remember your mom's chocolate roll! Also her rolls, pulled mints, watermelon rind pickles, etc. Also your dad made killer cocktail sauce! Miss them both!

gamecockphan 06-04-2014 11:21 AM

Chicken under a brick is a fairly easy but delicious meal to make as well. Just do not do it on the grill. Use a cast iron skillet and the oven.

TheUniversityofSC 06-04-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4175626)
A tall cold glass of pickle juice.

Mmmmmmmm :thumbsup: