CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Sarge (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Signee Brandon Murray update (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207020)

Roosterboy 06-04-2014 09:38 AM

Signee Brandon Murray update

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/A...Draft-28962828

Sounds like we have a good chance of keeping him.
Sounds like his asking price is first round or go to college.

Could be the answer to be in the weekend rotation (he is that good) with Crowe and Wynkoop.

Jim Lahey 06-04-2014 10:08 AM

Re: Signee Brandon Murray update

Good news! We need him.

JDStud6 06-04-2014 10:27 AM

Can he hit when we have guys on base? That's what we really need!

JD

Rebel4ever 06-04-2014 12:26 PM

I hope Holbrook can get just flat elite ballers that can overcome his poor coaching decisions. Right now I'm not a fan of Holbrook. I think he talks to gloomy and down from quotes I've read in articles. "I hate it ends like this (for junior class) and I take some responsibility in that, not helping them more than I did." Holbrook in a goupstate article. I don't like this statement. Dude, you have to coach. Just bringing in the number 1 recruiting class which these juniors were and just say "go win" is not coaching. He may be a great recruiter but he hasn't shown me good coaching instincts in game situations.

warriorcock 06-04-2014 12:32 PM

Man I sure love these guys with the power arms that light up the radar guns. Vandy always seems to have a bunch of them, hoping Brandon is a Gamecock. Wishing him all the best either way.

AtlGAMECOCK 06-04-2014 12:33 PM

Kinda figured he would take his lumps as a head coach . He took over for a coach that was great and had two titles that is hard to follow up.

usc1 06-04-2014 01:28 PM

This is great news. One of those "Vandy guys" we always complain about not getting. If we can somehow grab Destino on top of him that would be a fantastic haul. Junior Harding would be nice too.

ConwayGamecock 06-04-2014 01:45 PM

I hope he will be able to develop plate location discipline. Vogel is also a high velocity pitcher and has great potential, but he struggled a bit throwing his heater for strikes in his limited appearances this past season. Still we have a lot of quality arms we're stocking on the roster, and have incoming. We need to work seriously on getting better bats though.......

Regalcock 06-04-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4175691)
http://southcarolina.247sports.com/A...Draft-28962828

Sounds like we have a good chance of keeping him.
Sounds like his asking price is first round or go to college.

Could be the answer to be in the weekend rotation (he is that good) with Crowe and Wynkoop.

This is very good news. Hope he comes to college.

I venture to say that Crowe, Widener, Murray could end up as our weekend rotation at some point next year if he comes. Just speculation.

CayceCock13 06-04-2014 03:01 PM

Seems like a reliever out of the gate with being a 2 pitch guy and working on developing his changeup. Do love that we keep getting these quality arms, hopefully Destino & Scolameiro among others help us in the hitting department.

Roosterboy 06-04-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK (Post 4175822)
Kinda figured he would take his lumps as a head coach . He took over for a coach that was great and had two titles that is hard to follow up.

He is...he certainly is.
And it is different being the assistant to being the guy.
I'm sure Tanner had his lumps when he was at NC State, and factions of this same fanbase was ready to chase Ray out of town not too long ago.

Holbrook has taken over for a legend, and we had to have known there was going to be a little drop off.

But now what is left of the Omaha run is gone with this junior class...it is truly Holbrook's team next year, and I like how he is building with power arms...we just need the hitting to pick up, and I think guys like Cone, Gore and Widener can be the corps we build around.

Gamecockfanatic4 06-05-2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4175880)
This is great news. One of those "Vandy guys" we always complain about not getting. If we can somehow grab Destino on top of him that would be a fantastic haul. Junior Harding would be nice too.

Sounds like Destino is coming to school from what I've heard lately

Rebel4ever 06-05-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK (Post 4175822)

What's been done in the past shouldn't affect present in game management of a baseball game. Tanner's past accomplishments have nothing to do with Holbrook's lack of decision-making and baseball instinct.

uscnoklahoma 06-05-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4ever (Post 4176323)
What's been done in the past shouldn't affect present in game management of a baseball game. Tanner's past accomplishments have nothing to do with Holbrook's lack of decision-making and baseball instinct.

I totally agree. Most of the time I leave scratching my head. Several times I wanted the bunt, squeeze, etc....never came. Most of the time he just seems to sit back and just observe the game and let it play out.

GamecockUltimate 06-05-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4ever (Post 4176323)

Not the place to discuss this, go to a different thread.

GarnetSwarm1990 06-05-2014 10:17 PM

Idk if this deserves it's own thread but so far none of our signees have been drafted. Anybody know if any of them are expected to be first few rounders?

Luke Skycocker 06-05-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regalcock (Post 4175905)
This is very good news. Hope he comes to college.

I venture to say that Crowe, Widener, Murray could end up as our weekend rotation at some point next year if he comes. Just speculation.

I'd be very surprised if Wynkoop got replaced

robgusc76 06-05-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4177001)
I'd be very surprised if Wynkoop got replaced

I can't even believe people are suggesting this right now. First off, Koop was pretty solid this season except for the last few starts when he was battling injury. Secondly, you people are just assuming these freshmen are going to come in and automatically take a starting role. Its possible, but they haven't even stepped foot in a classroom at USC, let alone thrown a pitch from the mound at Carolina Stadium.

ConwayGamecock 06-06-2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 (Post 4176993)
Idk if this deserves it's own thread but so far none of our signees have been drafted. Anybody know if any of them are expected to be first few rounders?

From what I understand, the consensus is that of the incoming class INF Stokes and P Harding are most likely to go to the draft, but that's it....

StormOfTalons 06-07-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4175880)
Junior Harding would be nice too.

Harding has not been drafted but there are rumors swirling that he still may not make it to school.

Anyone heard this or know what the deal might be?