CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Eats (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Smoothies (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207047)

Travelin 06-05-2014 07:36 AM

Smoothies
 
I've been making my own smoothies for years, but a few months ago I started including them in my daily diet.

I definitely feel better each day. I've lost the excess weight and just enjoy having them twice a day.

I try to stick with the basics, but always like to try something new that's nutritious.

Just curious if many of you make your own smoothies and which are your favorites.

I grow blueberries, Rasberries, Strawberries and blackberries, so naturally these are usually my fruits of choice with pineapple, kiwi, pear the ones I buy, chop up and freeze to use that week.

I normally use unflavored Greek Yogurt.

milk

a natural fruit juice

Cinnamon

Honey as sweetners. I also put in a teaspoon of Manuka Honey when I have it. Same with Maple Syrup(instead of honey)...

I keep them simple, but would like to hear how you guys make yours.

Cockypantherfan 06-05-2014 08:06 AM

Re: Smoothies
 
Sounds good. I make a killer protein smoothie.

Some ice, blueberries or raspberries, one banana, some natural cocoa powder, a little honey, one Tbsp of peanut butter, one or one and a half scoops of protein powder, some non fat Greek yogurt (plain), and some water.

Cock Kool-Aid 06-05-2014 08:16 AM

Re: Smoothies
 
About the same... depending on what I've got at the house... I normally just throw in a mix of fruit (fresh or frozen), a few scoops of nonfat plain greek yogurt, some milk (preferably almond) and blend it. If I have Kale, I will put that in as well... not bad at all mixed with the fruit. If I don't have milk, or want something a little different, then I use whatever type of fruit juice I have. I've never felt that I needed to add anything for additional sweetness or protein... the nonfat greek yogurt seems have enough protein in it already.

Transmaniacon 06-05-2014 08:20 AM

Re: Smoothies
 
I don't make them as often these days, but I still go through spells where I make them daily. I'm in the pro-fat camp, so I tend to include whole-milk yogurt, coconut milk, or peanut butter. I like most eligible fruit but prefer berries most of the time. Mint can be an interesting touch, as can Thai basil.

I've never made any of the green smoothies, but I've enjoyed some of the ones I've tried.

Cockypantherfan 06-05-2014 09:21 AM

Re: Smoothies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4176360)
About the same... depending on what I've got at the house... I normally just throw in a mix of fruit (fresh or frozen), a few scoops of nonfat plain greek yogurt, some milk (preferably almond) and blend it. If I have Kale, I will put that in as well... not bad at all mixed with the fruit. If I don't have milk, or want something a little different, then I use whatever type of fruit juice I have. I've never felt that I needed to add anything for additional sweetness or protein... the nonfat greek yogurt seems have enough protein in it already.

Of course it is a great source of protein, but dude it's that time again... BEACH MUSCLES!!!

davidmc467 06-05-2014 09:30 AM

Re: Smoothies
 
Spinach, carrots, berries, and flax seed

It actually isn't very tasty, but it is good for you.


I think.

Jim Lahey 06-05-2014 09:47 AM

Re: Smoothies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4176411)
Of course it is a great source of protein, but dude it's that time again... BEACH MUSCLES!!!

Sun's out, guns out!

COCKYTALKIN 06-05-2014 01:15 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
I keep it simple.

Frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, milk. Usually add some honey to sweeten, maybe some spinach and or blueberries if I feel like being over the top healthy.

ShutTheSuccop 06-05-2014 01:37 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
greek yogurt, spinach, unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk, frozen strawberries and blueberries...make it every morning and my 2 year old can't get enough

Rooster'srule 06-05-2014 04:20 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
Same here but I add 2 raw eggs and either a little vanilla extract or vanilla yogurt.

uscfsu23 06-05-2014 04:58 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
My breakfast 3 days a week = 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk,1 banana, flax seed meal, 1-2 tablespoons PB2 powder (peanut butter powder) and as much as you want depending on thickness. (sometimes some spinach as well)

Gamecock Rob 06-05-2014 05:02 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Lahey (Post 4176433)
Sun's out, guns out!

Sky's out, thighs out!

mick66 06-05-2014 06:23 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
Good stuff. Try throwing in some goji berries and maca root powder.
If you have a Vitamix or Blendtec here's a killer one:
Coconut water
Coconut cream
Little bit of sweetener
Almonds
Vanilla
pinch of salt.
Not one that will be a staple, but it tastes like a milk shake. Might go make one right now.

HeadCockFan 06-05-2014 06:51 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
Skim milk, full fat greek yogurt, chocolate whey powder, low fat peanut butter, frozen banana, strawberries and blueberries. 80 grams protein, 18 grams fat, 700 calories. This seems to be a good meal replacement for me.

Travelin 06-05-2014 07:18 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
I just knew there were a lot of smoothie lovers around here!

Just bought a ripe avocado tonight. Doing a simple Avo, Pear and Banana Smoothie in the morn. I'll throw in a few frozen blueberries for good measure, honey, yogurt and semi skimmed milk. Drink one and toss in a pinch of cinnamon with what's left in the blender.

garnet_black215 06-05-2014 07:48 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
I used to make them every night but got away from doing it. Certainly got some great ideas from this thread and I'll probably use a few when I get back to making them.

Cock Kool-Aid 06-05-2014 07:49 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4176922)
I just knew there were a lot of smoothie lovers around here!

Just bought a ripe avocado tonight. Doing a simple Avo, Pear and Banana Smoothie in the morn. I'll throw in a few frozen blueberries for good measure, honey, yogurt and semi skimmed milk. Drink one and toss in a pinch of cinnamon with what's left in the blender.


I just made some garbage guacamole in the blender because I had half an avocado I didn't want to spoil... Didn't even consider putting it in a smoothie.

Flameout12 06-05-2014 08:04 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
Plain greek + unfrozen berry mix + packet or two of stevia sweetener.
Mixed with a fork and eaten with a spoon. No muss-no fuss.

The berries rock with anti-oxidants and the sugar spike is minimal.

I can add a scoop of whey if I want...just depends.

AtlGAMECOCK 06-05-2014 08:23 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
i like to do pineapple and coconut tastes like a pina calada so I use it for an adult like beverage that isnt unhealthy. I always add spinach to every smoothie I make. I will sometimes put banana, greek yogurt, strawberries and put my protein powder in it.

Cockypantherfan 06-05-2014 08:37 PM

Re: Smoothies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flameout12 (Post 4176943)
Plain greek + unfrozen berry mix + packet or two of stevia sweetener.
Mixed with a fork and eaten with a spoon. No muss-no fuss.

The berries rock with anti-oxidants and the sugar spike is minimal.

I can add a scoop of whey if I want...just depends.

I like to mix protein powder with some Greek yogurt. The powder I have mixes very easily and it tastes great.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.