CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Eats (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Smoking Butt: Fat Up or Down? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207058)

ColaCock 06-05-2014 01:16 PM

Smoking Butt: Fat Up or Down?

I've tried both ways and not sure I can tell a difference. Any real reason why some stick to one way or another?

I haven't smoked a butt in quite a few years but will be doing 2 this weekend.

Still haven't decided on whether I will inject or not either.

Likely going to just lather in mustard and coat with rub. Start at 8am and hope it is done by 6pm, although of course temp will determine that...I just have people showing up at 6pm ready to eat!

Biocockanics 06-05-2014 01:20 PM

Re: Smoking Butt: Fat Up or Down?

I know some people swear by it one way or the other, but like you I dont tell that much of a difference. However, in my experience as a dry rubber...when fat is up the dry rub tends to not have a good bark.

I like that good 1/8" near char bark on the outside.

Will be following this, just dont ask Cack...he's an elitist snob...and sucks at Call of Duty....:trollface:

ColaCock 06-05-2014 01:27 PM

Yeah, I am wondering how much it affects the bark. On mine, the bark is usually dark all over...then I see some online photos of smokes from others and they have spotted bark with what I would call more of a "redness/well done" look. I wondered if maybe the fat up/down was causing that.

Beano Cook 06-05-2014 01:30 PM

I always go fat side up,but I've never really gave the other way a try.I use a rub on the outside and inject with fruit juices to keep it moist.13 1/2 hrs at 225 degrees.

johnnyb 06-05-2014 01:33 PM

fat side up, the theory is that this will allow the juices from the fat to flow thru/over the meat and kind of "self baste" to keep it more moist.

Biocockanics 06-05-2014 01:44 PM

I use Apple cider vinegar or Dr Pepper anyways.

eightohhthree 06-05-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb (Post 4176633)
fat side up, the theory is that this will allow the juices from the fat to flow thru/over the meat and kind of "self baste" to keep it more moist.

This

RoosterBooster 06-05-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4176629)
Yeah, I am wondering how much it affects the bark. On mine, the bark is usually dark all over...then I see some online photos of smokes from others and they have spotted bark with what I would call more of a "redness/well done" look. I wondered if maybe the fat up/down was causing that.

What temp do you cook at, that could be a factor. Fat up or down shouldn't have anything to do with it. Could be due to something (too much sugar) in the rub. Certain spices can also cause that. Could be caused by the heat source to close to the meat. Putting a rack on top of a steamer pan filled with liquid (I use 1/3 apple juice, 1/3 sider vinegar, 1/3 water and add a little bourbon) can help with that if you want a lighter bark. Some people kill for that dark smoky bark.

sunbeam 06-05-2014 02:23 PM

If you read this thread with a dirty mind, it is hilarious.

ColaCock 06-05-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterBooster (Post 4176666)
What temp do you cook at, that could be a factor. Fat up or down shouldn't have anything to do with it. Could be due to something (too much sugar) in the rub. Certain spices can also cause that. Could be caused by the heat source to close to the meat. Putting a rack on top of a steamer pan filled with liquid (I use 1/3 apple juice, 1/3 sider vinegar, 1/3 water and add a little bourbon) can help with that if you want a lighter bark. Some people kill for that dark smoky bark.

Oh no, I DO want the darker bark...and I usually have no problem getting it.

I smoke at 230 until I get 165 internally, then I pull and foil...then put back in smoker until I hits 200 internally, then I'm done.

Rooster'srule 06-05-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4176617)
I've tried both ways and not sure I can tell a difference. Any real reason why some stick to one way or another?

I haven't smoked a butt in quite a few years but will be doing 2 this weekend.

Still haven't decided on whether I will inject or not either.

Likely going to just lather in mustard and coat with rub. Start at 8am and hope it is done by 6pm, although of course temp will determine that...I just have people showing up at 6pm ready to eat!

I start with fat side down, depending on the weight flip it in an hour. Theory you get rid of the greasy fat but enuff fat to keep it juicy.:thumbsup:

SterlingBrooks 06-05-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster'srule (Post 4176700)
I start with fat side down, depending on the weight flip it in an hour. Theory you get rid of the greasy fat but enuff fat to keep it juicy.:thumbsup:

Obligatory that's what she said

The Yancey 06-05-2014 03:11 PM

All are wrong. The juiciness of pulled pork comes from melted cartilage, not fat. The correct answer is to cut that fat pad off before applying your rub. You want that flavor to get in the meat instead of riding on a slab of fat.

Rooster'srule 06-05-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4176710)
All are wrong. The juiciness of pulled pork comes from melted cartilage, not fat. The correct answer is to cut that fat pad off before applying your rub. You want that flavor to get in the meat instead of riding on a slab of fat.

I like my cartilage chewy!:bow:

thekob 06-05-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4176710)

I don't think cartilage melts. You might be thinking of collagen perhaps?

GarnetSwarm1990 06-05-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunbeam (Post 4176671)
If you read this thread with a dirty mind, it is hilarious.

LMAO so true! :rotfl:

Ole Gregg 06-05-2014 04:42 PM

It really doesn't matter whether you turn the butt fat up or down as long as her airway is clear. Sometimes I like to turn the fat to the side when I am smoking dat butt.

cack 06-05-2014 04:54 PM

I do fat cap down for a couple of reasons ... 1, if you put your rub on the meat and then put it on the grate, you will leave some behind ... 2, when you leave some behind, I like leaving fat behind instead of expensive meat (and that's less you have to worry about picking out when you're pulling it ... 3, smoke is going to be near the top, so if you have fat cap up, you're just putting smoke in the fat ... that nobody is going to eat (hopefully). Fat cap down, will get smoke more in the meat, where you want it. I've also heard some do cap down as a heat barrier ... I don't think that really matters much, but have heard that as a reason/excuse.

With that said ... I really don't understand the mustard layer as a binder. I have never had a dry butt (well ... ). These cuts are sealed in the plastic with blood and all kinds of other juices. Those things are slopping wet when you take them out. If you do inject, some will spill out leaving even more moisture. The rub will stick without mustard.

cack 06-05-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster'srule (Post 4176700)

I actually used to start fat cap down, smoke till 160 internal, wrap and then flip when I put it back in. I don't wrap anymore, because I like the bark too much.

RoosterBooster 06-05-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4176683)
Oh no, I DO want the darker bark...and I usually have no problem getting it.

I smoke at 230 until I get 165 internally, then I pull and foil...then put back in smoker until I hits 200 internally, then I'm done.

OK, misunderstood.