CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   iCocky (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   New TV Advice (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207073)

Roosterdog 06-06-2014 07:41 AM

New TV Advice

Looking to buy a new HDTV and wanted to get some advice. Not looking for anything fancy, just a basic HDTV. Looking in the 46"-50" range.Have seen a couple of good deals on a Vizio and a Samsung but I am unfamiliar with these brands (I have Sony's). Anyone have any experience with these brand names? Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

1SCFanInPAUntilNow 06-06-2014 08:04 AM

Re: New TV Advice

Get the new curved one and give me a review.

jccgogamecocks 06-06-2014 08:22 AM

Lg makes a pretty nice tv for a good price. I have 3 lg hdtvs, and one is 6 or 7 years old and still works like new.

COCKDIESEL 06-06-2014 08:23 AM

I have a Samsung Smart LED. The picture is amazing but they actually make one with a better picture than the one I have. It's got some nice features like some apps that allow you to watch netflix and you tube without any external system. Roku, Chromecast, xbox, etc. I know those give you other options but it has a lot without them.

The Yancey 06-06-2014 08:42 AM

My advice is that iCocky is the correct forum for this. Beyond that, my Vizio is a better TV than my Sony.

Spur's Addiction 06-06-2014 09:04 AM

Have had a Vizio for about 4 years and it is great. Nothing too fancy but for the price Vizios are very good deals.

Have heard great things on Samsung TV's

ShutTheSuccop 06-06-2014 09:47 AM

I have a sharp, a vizio, and 3 samsungs. I will limit my response to the vizio and samsungs. My vizio is as good as at least 2 of my samsungs. I have a top of the line samsung that blows the vizio away (the 8000 series from Samsung). My other two samsungs as comparable to the vizio. I will say, that i had a small vizio razor led 22" that died after 18 months so I replaced it with the samsung. It may have just been a lemon so I try to judge the brand solely on that.

My opinion would be that if you are willing to spend top dollar get the samsung...if you are going to get a middle of the road samsung, I would go vizio b/c you get comparable pictures and features for less money. THere is even a 9000 series from Samsung now and that is probably better than my 8000 series.

markp_vip 06-06-2014 10:31 AM

I've had a Vizio in the famliy room for about 8 years now and it basically has never been shut off (Other than when the power goes out) and I haven't had a single problem with it. Just bought another one for my man cave/office and it's solid too.

uscgmck 06-06-2014 10:39 AM

My LG is about 5 years old and is great.

CockinAthens 06-06-2014 10:47 AM

Both are good brands, I have one of each. If money is no object, then go with a top line Samsung. If you are on a budget, Vizio give a good bang for your buck.

cocky0 06-06-2014 10:59 AM

I like Vizio, but their available apps for the smart tv seems a little lacking. Other than that, the one I own is awesome.

COCKYTALKIN 06-06-2014 11:10 AM

Have zero complaints on our Samsungs. If I had to guess, we have had them for at least 6 years.

Cockypantherfan 06-06-2014 11:14 AM

We have a 40 something inch Vizio in our living room and have been very satisfied with it. Had it for 4 or 5 years.

hank scorpio 06-06-2014 11:27 AM

Depends on you.
If you just want a HDTV, save the money and get a Vizio. If you can tell the difference and want a good one go with LG or Samsung. Samsung makes all their own components and even the panels for most all other brands. Sony's best is probably the best of all, but you pay for it. Beware though, just b/c it says Sony, doesn't automatically make it the best. They have some lower priced ones that I'd stay away from.
In a nutshell:
Vizio: Decent quality, Great price.
LG: Good quality, good price, loaded with features I don't use
Samsung: Better quality, okay price, awesome picture quality and some pretty good features.
Sony(high-end...4k): Best picture quality, highest price
Stay away from Toshiba, Haier, etc.

I sell all of these TVs except Vizio and my opinion is that sony has the best 4Ks, and the Samsung curved is the best 1080p by far.

Best tv in terms of value per dollar, IMO, the Samsung H7150 series is the best.

Go with LG or Vizio if you're not looking for the best and want a good price.

If you can hold off a couple weeks and live anywhere near Florence, I'm opening a new store that sells all the best TV's, appliances and even furniture. I'd love to earn the business.

hank scorpio 06-06-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1SCFanInPAUntilNow (Post 4177116)
Get the new curved one and give me a review.

Best 1080p on the market, hands down. Not a bad seat anywhere you sit in the room. No distortion, really good blacks and greys for an LED thanks to micro dimming pro. Good smart features. Just a wonderful TV. If you have the means, I highly recommend getting one.

hank scorpio 06-06-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop (Post 4177172)
I have a sharp, a vizio, and 3 samsungs. I will limit my response to the vizio and samsungs. My vizio is as good as at least 2 of my samsungs. I have a top of the line samsung that blows the vizio away (the 8000 series from Samsung). My other two samsungs as comparable to the vizio. I will say, that i had a small vizio razor led 22" that died after 18 months so I replaced it with the samsung. It may have just been a lemon so I try to judge the brand solely on that.

My opinion would be that if you are willing to spend top dollar get the samsung...if you are going to get a middle of the road samsung, I would go vizio b/c you get comparable pictures and features for less money. THere is even a 9000 series from Samsung now and that is probably better than my 8000 series.

9000 is 4K, your 8000, especially if its the F8000, is the best you should have. Owning a 9000 now is like having HDTV in 1999, great TV, but no content so a waste of quality and money.

GoldenSpur7 06-06-2014 11:59 AM

I've got two Samsungs. The one in my office has been good and dependable. I bought a Samsung sound bar to go with it, and makes for a good experience. The other one has been more iffy - there's been times when it cut itself off after a while.

Spur's Addiction 06-06-2014 12:20 PM

What's the purpose of having a curved screen? The old CTR's were all curved. Not sure why you would go back to curved. Is there a benefit or is it just a fad?

hank scorpio 06-06-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction (Post 4177283)
What's the purpose of having a curved screen? The old CTR's were all curved. Not sure why you would go back to curved. Is there a benefit or is it just a fad?

Both. Its concave, not convex like old tube TVs. Its more immersive and provides better depth and peripheral experience, but its negligible. Its no IMAX. For the most part, it just looks really cool. The biggest thing is that Samsung put all of its best technology in it, so even if it weren't curved, it would still be better than any TV most people have ever seen. The curve just gives it the prestige.

AtlGAMECOCK 06-06-2014 02:18 PM

I have a 60" samsung and love it