CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Clowney Signs w/ Texans (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207090)

uscGRAD04 06-06-2014 02:22 PM

Clowney Signs w/ Texans

I think he'll be ok.

Quote:

According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Clowney, the No. 1 overall pick in May's draft, inked a four-year deal.
Clowney became the 18th first-round pick to sign a contract and, logically, the rest will start filling in now that the No. 1 pick has signed.
His deal, per the new CBA, will also contain a fifth-year team option. McClain reports the deal is worth $22.27 million, slightly up in terms of rookie contracts, but appropriately slotted.

Mt. Lattimore 06-06-2014 02:29 PM

Re: Clowney Signs w/ Texans

Quote:

According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Clowney, the No. 1 overall pick in May's draft, inked a four-year deal.
Clowney became the 18th first-round pick to sign a contract and, logically, the rest will start filling in now that the No. 1 pick has signed.
ya think?

donbgamecock 06-06-2014 02:44 PM

Nice. A little over $5.5M a year after leaving college after his Jr. year. I'm still trying to make my first $5M. LOL

Does anyone think that is pittance compared to his promotional deals?

Goofyboy 06-06-2014 03:05 PM

With his looks, personality, and charisma, he could well play for free and still become super-wealthy. The "bad boys" of sport need to watch and learn.

henmania 06-06-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 (Post 4177375)
I think he'll be ok.

Over $14 million in a signing bonus. So he gets most of it now. I hope he has a good money manager.

Flameout12 06-06-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 4177424)
With his looks, personality, and charisma, he could well play for free and still become super-wealthy. The "bad boys" of sport need to watch and learn.

Yup...

Guess this means he really, really, isn't broke anymore and mom is out house hunting.

Happy for them....

cockymac 06-06-2014 07:51 PM

After all of the taxes and agent fees, they reported that he will get $12 million. Don't get me wrong, that's a bunch of money. But, nearly 50% is taken by taxes and the agent's fee. Ouch!

And to answer the poster from above, yes he will be earning more in endorsements. I think his Puma deal was $150 million over 10 years, so you figure he's getting $15 million a year from them.

FanofCarolina1 06-06-2014 09:52 PM

Congrats Jadeveon. well deserved. In my opinion though, he didn't need an agent. That was a waste. Whoever that guy was he made easy money.

Gyle41386 06-06-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 (Post 4177679)
Congrats Jadeveon. well deserved. In my opinion though, he didn't need an agent. That was a waste. Whoever that guy was he made easy money.

That guy is Bus Cook, who also represents Calvin Johnson, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Mike Wallace, and previously represented Steve McNair, Randy Moss and Brett Favre, among many others.

B-G 06-06-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Lol

GamecockInHell 06-06-2014 11:01 PM

I'm glad he decided to become a Gamecock and make a lot of money.

CockyInSeattle 06-06-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockInHell (Post 4177721)
I'm glad he decided to become a Gamecock and make a lot of money.

Think what he's done for recruiting for us. Between "The Hit" and going first in the draft, every high school player knows The USC.

Wonder if that will sway any highly ranked high school defensive ends? ;-)

ultimatetailgater 06-07-2014 01:22 AM

his nfl salary will be the smallest part of his income.

nicstockman 06-07-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flameout12 (Post 4177563)
Yup...

Guess this means he really, really, isn't broke anymore and mom is out house hunting.

Happy for them....

This. Definitely isn't broke anymore. And, mom already got her car. House won't be far behind.

sandstorm2001 06-07-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

He may not have needed an agent to get picked #1 overall and those rookie contracts aren't what they used to be, but companies like Wilson, Puma, etc would have been licking their chops to sign a naive 20 year old with no experience in business or contract negotiation and no agent. You need somebody who knows what you're worth and how to get it, and who to get it from.

gamecockphan 06-09-2014 03:22 PM

I just read that the Texans are working Clowney at OLB, DE, 3 tech, and NT.

They've got lots of different packages set up for him and he is going through the process of learning each package.

CockyInSeattle 06-11-2014 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamecockphan (Post 4178604)
I just read that the Texans are working Clowney at OLB, DE, 3 tech, and NT.

They've got lots of different packages set up for him and he is going through the process of learning each package.

I saw that as well. Him and JJ Watt are going to be giving offensive lines fits. They can't double team both of them.