CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Thoughts on Golightly (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207099)

Big-Cock 06-06-2014 02:47 PM

Thoughts on Golightly

I have been watching last years games the last few weeks and one thing that stands out to me is the play of #9. When he sees the field he plays with the most intensity and is constantly fighting off blocks and making plays. In one game he made 3 plays back to back to force a punt. Then there was the play in the wiscy game when the game was on the line. Why is he a junior and only seen minimal playing time?

CockyATO 06-06-2014 02:50 PM

Re: Thoughts on Golightly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Cock (Post 4177405)
I have been watching last years games the last few weeks and one thing that stands out to me is the play of #9. When he sees the field he plays with the most intensity and is constantly fighting off blocks and making plays. In one game he made 3 plays back to back to force a punt. Then there was the play in the wiscy game when the game was on the line. Why is he a junior and only seen minimal playing time?

Well for one he played behind AA and Holloman. He's also a little small for run stuffing. I'm expecting a big year from him tho

CockyATO 06-06-2014 02:53 PM

On second thought. I'm not sure he was here with AA

Big-Cock 06-06-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyATO (Post 4177406)
Well for one he played behind AA and Holloman. He's also a little small for run stuffing. I'm expecting a big year from him tho

That's true but every time he gets on the field he makes plays and is exciting to watch. He should be a senior this year. Wonder if he starts.

Goofyboy 06-06-2014 03:01 PM

If you watch the first five or six games and still say that, I'll be surprised. Holloman was the solid starter before last year. I hope he continues to improve.

Big-Cock 06-06-2014 03:04 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BevSGukwek

PageUSC 06-06-2014 03:06 PM

Solid player. Undersized but he makes up for it. I called it last year before the season that he would lock down the starting job at Spur and he did while C2 and most folks were saying Diggs would take over.

Golightly is our highest player on Phil steele's preseason all SEC team on the 2nd team.

Bryant will get some playing time also this year. I think we may have some packages where we have 2 Spurs on the field again this year.

donbgamecock 06-06-2014 03:09 PM

I don't know which game exactly, but early in the season, you could tell the light came on. You can tell when he gets his mind into the zone.

PageUSC 06-06-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Cock (Post 4177419)
That's true but every time he gets on the field he makes plays and is exciting to watch. He should be a senior this year. Wonder if he starts.

Yea he will start, he was the starter all of last year. Diggs played a lot too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 4177421)
If you watch the first five or six games and still say that, I'll be surprised. Holloman was the solid starter before last year. I hope he continues to improve.

Tj Holloman was never a starter at Spur. He was at Mike LB.

Big-Cock 06-06-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PageUSC (Post 4177425)
Solid player. Undersized but he makes up for it. I called it last year before the season that he would lock down the starting job at Spur and he did while C2 and most folks were saying Diggs would take over.

Golightly is our highest player on Phil steele's preseason all SEC team on the 2nd team.

Bryant will get some playing time also this year. I think we may have some packages where we have 2 Spurs on the field again this year.

I didn't know he started last year. He just really stood out to me on the replays.

SCohioBoy 06-06-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PageUSC (Post 4177429)
Yea he will start, he was the starter all of last year. Diggs played a lot too.

Tj Holloman was never a starter at Spur. He was at Mike LB.

Devonte Holloman

PageUSC 06-06-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCohioBoy (Post 4177435)
Devonte Holloman

Oh I see where you said before last year....

crowcutta 06-06-2014 03:39 PM

i thought he was really inconsistent the 1st half of last year especially in pass coverage, but the light really came on the 2nd half of the year and he started to make a lot of plays mostly in the run game. at one point i was questioning why he was out there but once the light came on he was attacking and disruptive.

henmania 06-06-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Cock (Post 4177405)

He started most of last year so I wouldn't call that minimal. Prior to that, he was undersized and got pushed around quite a bit. I remember against ECU two years ago where he was being pushed around by a WR blocking. He has gotten bigger and stronger. That's why he plays more now.

Roosterboy 06-06-2014 03:44 PM

Guys got a lot of heart...and in the last few games started playing well.
HOpefully he builds on that for next season.

CoverTwo 06-06-2014 03:47 PM

Golightly turned it on in the Mississippi State game I think it was. He is a good player. Surprised the heck out of me.

Still going with upside though. Diggs had a big, big Spring. Trimmed down and flying all over the field.

Coaches have got to find a way to get Golightly/Diggs/Bryant on the field. 2 SPURS seems pretty logical again and it adds some variety behind the 3 man fronts we will deploy at times.

usc1 06-06-2014 03:53 PM

Golightly was a 2nd team SEC pick last year. He will be a welcome returnee back there on defense.

PageUSC 06-06-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4177463)
Golightly turned it on in the Mississippi State game I think it was. He is a good player. Surprised the heck out of me.

Still going with upside though. Diggs had a big, big Spring. Trimmed down and flying all over the field.

Coaches have got to find a way to get Golightly/Diggs/Bryant on the field. 2 SPURS seems pretty logical again and it adds some variety behind the 3 man fronts we will deploy at times.

I tried to tell you, haha.

Yea as I was saying. I know we have the 2 Spur package. We used it in 2011 and 2012. diggs and Bryant are too talented to keep off the field.

JoeMorrisonLives 06-06-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Would be nice to run two SS 3-3-5 defense on passing downs, have a Spur at LB and in the second SS spot. Or two spurs playing SS and 3 true LBs.

Cockypantherfan 06-06-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

I can't wait for all the different defensive packages we will use to get all of our athletes on the field.