CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Orange and Fiesta to get new names (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207142)

uscgamecocks88 06-09-2014 12:59 PM

Orange and Fiesta to get new names

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou...sorships.aspx?

Interesting how Capital One may sponsor the Orange. Meaning the Old C1B/Citrus Bowl will get a new name.

JerseyBird 06-09-2014 01:43 PM

Re: Orange and Fiesta to get new names

Yeah definitely surprising about Tostitos - seemed like it was longer than 1996 that they've been sponsoring the Fiesta Bowl and such a natural fit both for the bowl name and the product association. Can't get much more close of a tie-in than for a snack company to sponsor a big football game.

Not surprising that Capital One is looking to go even bigger. Although it's slightly less of a product tie in to sit down to a big football game and...wave your credit card at the TV :woo:

uscgamecocks88 06-09-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4178516)
Yeah definitely surprising about Tostitos - seemed like it was longer than 1996 that they've been sponsoring the Fiesta Bowl and such a natural fit both for the bowl name and the product association. Can't get much more close of a tie-in than for a snack company to sponsor a big football game.

Not surprising that Capital One is looking to go even bigger. Although it's slightly less of a product tie in to sit down to a big football game and...wave your credit card at the TV :woo:

I'm sure it won't happen but it would be cool for the what used to be the Capital One Bowl, to get the Citrus name back. But I highly doubt that will happen

Ericvol2096 06-09-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 (Post 4178597)
I'm sure it won't happen but it would be cool for the what used to be the Capital One Bowl, to get the Citrus name back. But I highly doubt that will happen

Yea then maybe Tennessee can start actually going to that bowl again and Spurrier can start making fun of us for that.

Sounds a lot better than 3 years without a bowl.:thumbs:

JerseyBird 06-09-2014 03:42 PM

Even say, the Florida's Natural Citrus Bowl - toast your team's touchdown with a can of FN Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice :cocky:

JerseyBird 06-09-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 (Post 4178621)
Yea then maybe Tennessee can start actually going to that bowl again and Spurrier can start making fun of us for that.

Sounds a lot better than 3 years without a bowl.:thumbs:

Hey, with as many bowls as they keep adding they'll certainly catch up to you even if you don't catch up to them :thumbsup:

ipull4usc 06-09-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 (Post 4178597)

I too think this needs to happen and unfortunately I agree with you that it won't.

When sponsors' names take up the entirety of the bowl game's name, I think the bowl loses a lot of its identity. I'd like to look back one day and say I saw Carolina win the Citrus Bowl, instead of saying they won a bowl game named after some company that very well may not exist in twenty years.

CoverTwo 06-09-2014 06:02 PM

Anyone else think Tostitos backing out is because of the matchups they've had the past 5 years or so? If it hasn't been the National Championship game, no one has really cared outside of the one Boise St./Oklahoma game. The matchups in that bowl game have been awful, IMO.

Gyle41386 06-09-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4178709)
Anyone else think Tostitos backing out is because of the matchups they've had the past 5 years or so? If it hasn't been the National Championship game, no one has really cared outside of the one Boise St./Oklahoma game. The matchups in that bowl game have been awful, IMO.

There aren't many bigger match-ups in college football than Texas vs. Ohio State (2009), and Oklahoma State vs. Stanford (2012) was one of the greatest games of the BCS era. But beyond that, you're right, the Fiesta hasn't had much hype.

uscgamecocks88 06-09-2014 08:40 PM

And even when the fiesta bowl hosted the national championship with Auburn and Oregon, it was pretty boring.

gamecockjay 06-10-2014 01:25 AM

You have to sell a lot chips and salsa to cover 25 million.....