CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ed Obannion vs NCAA lawsuit (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207152)

JaxcockFL 06-09-2014 05:29 PM

Ed Obannion vs NCAA lawsuit

Is underway. No live feed, but blow by blow twitter feeds.

https://twitter.com/JonSolomonCBS

https://twitter.com/sganim

JaxcockFL 06-09-2014 06:05 PM

Re: Ed Obannion vs NCAA lawsuit

No jury, just a judge. Ed O testified today, will have some more tomorrow. Bama's Tyrone Prothro will then testify tomorrow.

Biocockanics 06-09-2014 06:18 PM

Sounds like he's just trashing the NCAA and they're exposing lots of inconsistency and unsubstantiated claims by him.

Spurrier_Superior_One 06-09-2014 07:06 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-foo...-claims-060914

This nonsense is going to open the floodgates for the worthless entitled generation.

A. Pilgrim 06-10-2014 08:07 AM

Ed Obannion vs NCAA lawsuit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One (Post 4178740)
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-foo...-claims-060914

This nonsense is going to open the floodgates for the worthless entitled generation.

Like Spurrier said- race horses and college athletes are the only performers in this country who don't get paid.

And you allege entitlement? Hah you're a damn fool.

trapper82 06-10-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4178953)
Like Spurrier said- race horses and college athletes are the only performers in this country who don't get paid.

The stipend should get increased, but they receive a great deal for their service. You can argue its not proportional, but saying they get nothing is not true either. Just ask Victor Hampton, who lost his room and board, personal trainers, nutritionists, 3+ meals a day, amazing platform to showcase skills and educational opportunities to chase the dollar. It was a risk, and didn't work out for him.

Some of the most successful people in the world today started out working for others for almost nothing in an internship role. They learned the craft, got to meet people, and when the time was right and if their talent warranted it they cashed in and started moving up the chain. And by cashed in I don't mean millions of dollars, I mean they got a job with a regular paycheck.

It is highly possible to graduate college with a degree while being debt free and somewhat of a celebrity in your town, and that's if you are just an average player with no real shot at the NFL when all is said and done. Your name is known to hundreds of thousands of fans, many of which are business owners or in management. People sooner or later have to realize in life that sometimes your "dreams" don't always come true, or at the very least you shift that dream to mean something else than what you thought in high school and college. Sometimes these guys just find out they aren't good enough. It's a tough pill to swallow, but it happens every day. The concept of hedging your bets and giving yourself some insurance is an important one to learn.

Now me personally, I think the NCAA video games should have been the perfect vehicle to pay players for their likeness. You could take the profits and split it amongst all D1 scholarship athletes who play that sport. If you play a sport that isn't among those popular enough to get a video game, you get the standard athlete stipend which should be increased.

JaxcockFL 06-10-2014 09:28 AM

The problem from a possible legal standpoint is that there are laws that protect freedom and competition between organizations such as businesses and schools. It can be...and is argued that the NCAA is a cartel that has set rules that prohibit both for players. As the NCAA is the only game in town, there is no alternative. That, and the obscene amounts of money being taken in and paid to coaches and administraters.

It's going to be tough for the NCAA, being that this is being decided by a federal judge in California.

A. Pilgrim 06-10-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4178977)
The stipend should get increased, but they receive a great deal for their service. You can argue its not proportional, but saying they get nothing is not true either. Just ask Victor Hampton, who lost his room and board, personal trainers, nutritionists, 3+ meals a day, amazing platform to showcase skills and educational opportunities to chase the dollar. It was a risk, and didn't work out for him.

Some of the most successful people in the world today started out working for others for almost nothing in an internship role. They learned the craft, got to meet people, and when the time was right and if their talent warranted it they cashed in and started moving up the chain. And by cashed in I don't mean millions of dollars, I mean they got a job with a regular paycheck.

It is highly possible to graduate college with a degree while being debt free and somewhat of a celebrity in your town, and that's if you are just an average player with no real shot at the NFL when all is said and done. Your name is known to hundreds of thousands of fans, many of which are business owners or in management. People sooner or later have to realize in life that sometimes your "dreams" don't always come true, or at the very least you shift that dream to mean something else than what you thought in high school and college. Sometimes these guys just find out they aren't good enough. It's a tough pill to swallow, but it happens every day. The concept of hedging your bets and giving yourself some insurance is an important one to learn.

Now me personally, I think the NCAA video games should have been the perfect vehicle to pay players for their likeness. You could take the profits and split it amongst all D1 scholarship athletes who play that sport. If you play a sport that isn't among those popular enough to get a video game, you get the standard athlete stipend which should be increased.

The internship comparison is open for debate as well since there are new employment law cases involving the rights of interns. Unpaid internships are not going to be around forever.

ReadR00ster 06-10-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4178986)
The internship comparison is open for debate as well since there are new employment law cases involving the rights of interns. Unpaid internships are not going to be around forever.

Not likely. If so they will back real soon. Because internships provide good work experience and companies are not going to just start paying inexperienced people for the work these interns do. They will do without as opposed to paying.

A lot of these movements are due the fact that unions have supporters in place everywhere. The NRLB is basically controlled by the unions, they are people appointed by union-loving Barrack Obama. They are always going to make the the pro-union choice. Even a lot of the judges are pro-union, especially in places like Chicago. Hopefully someone will stand up the unions and stop their corruption.

ktguen 06-10-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

I agree with all of this.

A. Pilgrim 06-10-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4179023)
Not likely. If so they will back real soon. Because internships provide good work experience and companies are not going to just start paying inexperienced people for the work these interns do. They will do without as opposed to paying.

A lot of these movements are due the fact that unions have supporters in place everywhere. The NRLB is basically controlled by the unions, they are people appointed by union-loving Barrack Obama. They are always going to make the the pro-union choice. Even a lot of the judges are pro-union, especially in places like Chicago. Hopefully someone will stand up the unions and stop their corruption.

Employment law will cause an end to unpaid internship at some point. Then, it won't be coming back, because the law will not allow it to.

ReadR00ster 06-10-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4179043)
Employment law will cause an end to unpaid internship at some point. Then, it won't be coming back, because the law will not allow it to.

And then the law will change back when they realize the recent change was stupid and just bad public policy.

ReadR00ster 06-10-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

The back up plan shouldn't be suing people though. It should be preparing while you are in school for alternative career choices in other fields by taking the courses that in a field that interests you since the school is offering them for free. I think most student athletes understand this and do the right thing, but because some don't, we get people saying "College athletes don't care about class or degrees!" It's an insult to the majority of the college athletes and a gross generalization.

A. Pilgrim 06-10-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4179047)
And then the law will change back when they realize the recent change was stupid and just bad public policy.

LOL except that it promotes not paying employees. Sorry, I do not see the current trajectory of things to go into reverse as far as employment law is concerned.

GamecockUltimate 06-10-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4178953)

And just because he says it doesnt make it true. Well the race horse part is

ReadR00ster 06-10-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4179082)
LOL except that it promotes not paying employees. Sorry, I do not see the current trajectory of things to go into reverse as far as employment law is concerned.

Except interns are NOT employees. They are INTERNS. They get school credit. It's about education. If they like the work you do they can hire you afterwards. It happens a lot of the time. It happened to me.

You know who doesn't get hired and doesn't get paid? The person who was never there because they didn't go on an internship because the companies are not actively hiring for entry level positions. THAT is who doesn't get paid.

Why should anyone hire you and pay if you don't have experience. If you haven't proven yourself?

If things are going the way, it's because they unions have used their influence the corrupt the legal system. Think about this NCAA Union stuff going on. Northwestern...Unions...Chicago...Barrack Obama... president appointed NLRB...Chicago judges.... It's not to hard to see where some of these decisions are coming from when the system is rigged.

b381l 06-10-2014 04:37 PM

Mosts kids come to college as a path to the NFL.....coaches recruit by showing how other players have been successful getting to the NFL. The problem is that only about 1-2% of D-1 college players ever make it into the NFL. Most of their efforts in college are trying to make themselves into a better player and not a better student. Most go to class and make the grades, but that's just a requirement.....many of them never really intend to do anything with their education because they all believe they're going to the NFL.

ReadR00ster 06-10-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4179238)
Mosts kids come to college as a path to the NFL.....coaches recruit by showing how other players have been successful getting to the NFL. The problem is that only about 1-2% of D-1 college players ever make it into the NFL. Most of their efforts in college are trying to make themselves into a better player and not a better student. Most go to class and make the grades, but that's just a requirement.....many of them never really intend to do anything with their education because they all believe they're going to the NFL.

Yeah, and that is the real problem. Their attitudes. They should have more respect for getting a degree. Even NFL players try say this, because NFL careers don't last. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. This concept is increasingly lost on people.

boness 06-10-2014 05:07 PM

I am one of those who is on the no pay side of the fence haveing funded my own education working nights etc. The fact that nothing reqjuires a student to accept a schoolie regardless who or why it is offered is the raft that the NCAA will ride IMHO. This is a case of free will, accept the offer made or don't.

I do agree that some of the inclusions should be adjusted for the well being of the child and frankly for the well being of the program. The current status of the diet is insufficient. Should include 3 full meals plus snack and should be monitored by a dietian. No pizza, no chips, no soda etc. healthy food avail to the athlete. If he wants junk then attain it on his own. Off season workouts should be more limited and employment allowed. let them work for whomever they wish earning whatever the employer determines the job is worth. no ghost jobs, actual work but let them cash in on thier popularity to some extent while they can.
the ecucational part should be far more strictly enforced. reasonable GPA in core courses only as well s overall. no baskett weaving, no football 101

the thing no one notes value is the training. note the cost of the pro prep facilities when prepping for draft.
I would like to see the NFL take ownership/partnershhip with the CFL, Arena etc. and offer a minor league option for HS seniors who do not value the CFB option. Doa separate draft and make it much like baseball and hockey where long as they haven't taken $ etc. they can still reenter 3 yrs down the rd. few players would be drafted high enought to go simply because the body of most isn't developed enought but for those simply lacking the mental ability or willingness to go to college there would be an option.

palmettosc 06-10-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boness (Post 4179250)
I am one of those who is on the no pay side of the fence haveing funded my own education working nights etc. The fact that nothing reqjuires a student to accept a schoolie regardless who or why it is offered is the raft that the NCAA will ride IMHO. This is a case of free will, accept the offer made or don't.

I do agree that some of the inclusions should be adjusted for the well being of the child and frankly for the well being of the program. The current status of the diet is insufficient. Should include 3 full meals plus snack and should be monitored by a dietian. No pizza, no chips, no soda etc. healthy food avail to the athlete. If he wants junk then attain it on his own. Off season workouts should be more limited and employment allowed. let them work for whomever they wish earning whatever the employer determines the job is worth. no ghost jobs, actual work but let them cash in on thier popularity to some extent while they can.
the ecucational part should be far more strictly enforced. reasonable GPA in core courses only as well s overall. no baskett weaving, no football 101

the thing no one notes value is the training. note the cost of the pro prep facilities when prepping for draft.
I would like to see the NFL take ownership/partnershhip with the CFL, Arena etc. and offer a minor league option for HS seniors who do not value the CFB option. Doa separate draft and make it much like baseball and hockey where long as they haven't taken $ etc. they can still reenter 3 yrs down the rd. few players would be drafted high enought to go simply because the body of most isn't developed enought but for those simply lacking the mental ability or willingness to go to college there would be an option.

Bold is impossible to keep a level playing field. What's to stop a big booster for paying someone 50K to wash a car?