CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   SEC Football as World Cup Teams (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207250)

CockTail 06-12-2014 02:55 PM

SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
A local sportscaster made this analogy this moring and I thought I would have some fun with it and take it one step further.

So, for SEC Football fans that do not follow World Cup Soccer, here is how the World Cup compares to the SEC Football programs. So, World Cup Teams as SEC Football Teams. Here we go:

Germany: They are the Alabama of the World Cup. They are meticulous, have great athletes but generally have a hard nose coach who pushes his team at every turn. Always a contender, their fans think they are simply better in every way from everyone else.

Brazil: They are the LSU of the World Cup. They have a flare for the game. They are somewhat unpredictable, in that they can be great, and then not so great. Their coaches are typically unconventional, and their fans are lunatics.

England: They are the Georgia of the World Cup. They are always good, have good players, good coaches, but somehow always underwhelm on the biggest stage. Their fans are delusional that they should win every World Cup.

Portugal: They are the Florida of the World Cup. They have had great success in the past, they have maybe the best player in the world, but their supporting cast seems to underperfom. They have as good of talent as anyone, but you never know when it is going to show up. Their team culture is discombobulated, when they are hot, they can beat anybody.

Argentina: Is the Texas A&M of the World Cup. They have one of the most exciting players in the world in Messi. They are well coached, but they do not come first to mind when you think of a contender. They somewhat live in the shadow of the other powerhouse in South America in Brazil.

United States: Unfortunately we are the Kentucky of the World Cup. We excel in other sports (Basketball), but can not compete globally in this sport (soccer). We are an underdog in almost every game we play, we don't have the talent of our peers, but we can put a scare into anyone. We have a tendency to beat a team here and there we are not supposed to. Our expectations always seem to exceed our ability to win on a consistent basis.

Belgium: They are the South Carolina of the World Cup. They are underappreciated and overlooked in the crowded Europe landscape. They have not had much history of success, but they are very good right now. They have a very workman like attitude, and just find a way to win. They are a better team than they are individually. Will fly under the radar of the tournament, but would not really suprise if they could get to the final.

B-G 06-12-2014 03:42 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
I would make Bama Brazil just because of their winning history.

Also believe Italy and Spain needs to be mentioned somewhere

Also regarding Belgium, I would say they are better individually then they are as a team, they have a number of very good players.

B-G 06-12-2014 03:45 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
Double post

Lalli25 06-12-2014 06:22 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
I disagree with the USA being Kentucky. We consistently make the World Cup which is like being ranked top 20 in football and make the round of 16, which is like making the BCS bowls or at least a New Year's Day bowl.

I never get why USA soccer gets crushed as being awful yet in reality they are top 20 in the world over the last 12-20 years.

Thenardier 06-12-2014 06:28 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
Auburn's Italy, we've got a long history of sketchyness, lol.

B-G 06-12-2014 06:34 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4181078)
I disagree with the USA being Kentucky. We consistently make the World Cup which is like being ranked top 20 in football and make the round of 16, which is like making the BCS bowls or at least a New Year's Day bowl.

I never get why USA soccer gets crushed as being awful yet in reality they are top 20 in the world over the last 12-20 years.

I don't think of it that way.

The World Cup is not the top 32 teams in the world it's the teams that qualified.
For example a team like Sweden didn't make it this year, they were in the same group as Germany and then drew Portugal in the playoff (lost)

They are certainly better than a lot of teams in the field.

Also look at the teams we play against in qualifying compared to Europe, South America and maybe even Africa or Asia.

Lalli25 06-12-2014 06:46 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4181098)
I don't think of it that way.

The World Cup is not the top 32 teams in the world it's the teams that qualified.
For example a team like Sweden didn't make it this year, they were in the same group as Germany and then drew Portugal in the playoff (lost)

They are certainly better than a lot of teams in the field.

Also look at the teams we play against in qualifying compared to Europe, South America and maybe even Africa or Asia.

May be that would be true, if the USA wasn't able to hold their own in the World Cup, but that's not the case. We may not be the elite but we are not some bottom feeder either. Kentucky is not a top 25 team consistently and at times finishes the year in the top 10. American soccer competes with most countries and isn't over matched.

In my opinion, America gets overly criticized by the soccer world, because they get dominated by the US in most sports and want to keep the opinion of America low in soccer. The worst thing that could happen, in foreign soccer fans minds, is for the US to win the World Cup or to ever become a consistent finalist contender. They want it as their game and don't want America taking it over, like we do in most other sports.

jrussjr 06-12-2014 07:22 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4181090)
Auburn's Italy, we've got a long history of sketchyness, lol.

Agreed!!

uscjeremynca 06-12-2014 08:12 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
I thought the comparison wasn't good at all. I would compare Alabama to Brazil.

Portugal and Florida is a horrible comparison. Portugal is a recent success due to Ronaldo. Florida has been successful for a long time. Portugal have never won anything even though they have gone far in the Euros. I would say A&M and Portugal are a much better comparison - Portugal now plays with the big boys, have won nothing, and the comparison to Manziel to Ronaldo is fair (both in ego and talent).

Argentina is more like LSU - abundance of talent, some success, but a bit Jekyll and Hyde.

England and Georgia comparison is a good one. So is Belgium and South Carolina - great talent, some very good seasons, but no championships - yet.

Florida and Germany may be a better comparison. Florida always has a good defense and are fundamentally sound. It's been a number of years since Germany won any title - 1996, the same year UF won the national title. Florida is fundamentally sound but Germany's style of play is much more exciting. I'm not sure there is a good comparison to Germany. Possibly Auburn.

USA is a tough one. I'm not sure there is a good comparison. Maybe Missouri? An up and coming team with talent but still trying to prove themselves with the big boys.

jcausc 06-12-2014 08:18 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
I see USA as a Mississippi State

B-G 06-12-2014 08:22 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
I think the comparison to Kentucky in the means of "it isn't our number one sport" is spot on.

B-G 06-17-2014 02:44 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...75/1291/sports

TheUniversityofSC 06-17-2014 02:51 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4181078)
I disagree with the USA being Kentucky. We consistently make the World Cup which is like being ranked top 20 in football and make the round of 16, which is like making the BCS bowls or at least a New Year's Day bowl.

I never get why USA soccer gets crushed as being awful yet in reality they are top 20 in the world over the last 12-20 years.

Everyone hates America.

Thenardier 06-17-2014 02:51 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4184543)

Even though it's a Tuscaloser paper, me likey.

HelleraisingCock 06-17-2014 03:34 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4181123)
May be that would be true, if the USA wasn't able to hold their own in the World Cup, but that's not the case. We may not be the elite but we are not some bottom feeder either. Kentucky is not a top 25 team consistently and at times finishes the year in the top 10. American soccer competes with most countries and isn't over matched.

In my opinion, America gets overly criticized by the soccer world, because they get dominated by the US in most sports and want to keep the opinion of America low in soccer. The worst thing that could happen, in foreign soccer fans minds, is for the US to win the World Cup or to ever become a consistent finalist contender. They want it as their game and don't want America taking it over, like we do in most other sports.

They can have Cricket.

gamecocknva 06-17-2014 03:37 PM

Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams
 
And here's your Clemson comparison.

Uruguay: Is this where all those hippies committed suicide? Anyway, Uruguay won a fluke World Cup ages ago, and they've been trying to recapture the moment ever since, thus making them the Clemson of South America. Why does Uruguay even exist? Look at the map. It's Brazil's toenail.
http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-hat...cup-1588867715


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.