CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2014 U.S. Open (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207298)

Coulwoodwarlord 06-14-2014 07:43 PM

2014 U.S. Open
 
Kaymer is letting the field edge closer. Thought it would be a snoozer after yesterday. Where's Tiger when you need him ? Geez :golf:

CoverTwo 06-14-2014 08:31 PM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Rickie Rickie Rickie!

kabercr2 06-15-2014 12:01 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Probably going to atleast need a 73 or higher from Kaymer for Rickie or Dustin to have a chance.

TKE226 06-15-2014 07:54 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Screw Tiger. He would be complaining about the course or his swing or something about why he isnt in contention.

A 74 for Kaymer and things will get interesting.

Coulwoodwarlord 06-15-2014 01:12 PM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
I'm not a Tiger fan at all. And I hope Fowler can muster up a steroid jerk and put some pressure on Kaymer.

Gyle41386 06-15-2014 03:02 PM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
I want someone to shoot a 62 to win, right in Johnny Miller's face.

Biocockanics 06-15-2014 03:20 PM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Not a golf fan...I guess bc could nevre afford to play it but this was cool that I saw on my FB feed

Wow, Epic hole in one...he should have done the Bull dance from Happy Gilmore.
http://golfweek.com/news/2014/jun/15...one-pinehurst/

b381l 06-15-2014 03:39 PM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Erik Compton's 2 heart transplant surgeries......he has become close to the family of the guy that died (volleyball player, possible olympics) whose heart he received 6 years ago. What a story this would be if he won today.


By Jason Sobel Jun 14, 2014, 8:48 PM EDTCompton's story is heartwarming

PINEHURST, N.C. – Erik Compton was nervous and frightened. He was 12 years old and lying in a hospital bed, the result of a faulty heart that had left him hooked up to scary-looking machines while surrounded by a swirling sea of doctors and nurses, each prepping him for transplant surgery.

His parents were nervous and frightened, too. They couldn’t show it, though, not in front of their son. Peter and Eli Compton needed to put up a brave front. They needed to encourage their youngest son. They needed to tell him that everything would be OK.

No, they needed to tell him that everything would be better than OK.

“We just said once you get a new heart, you’re going to be a champion,” his mother remembers. “You’re going to get the heart of a champion.”

Twenty-two years ago, Eli Compton (her first name is pronounced Ellie) wasn’t trying to foreshadow the 114th U.S. Open Championship. In fact, her son loved baseball more than golf back then. Following the surgery, he sat in a wheelchair, looked into a camera and offered the same proclamation that he’d first made four years earlier: “I’m going to be a Major League baseball player.”

Luke Skycocker 06-15-2014 05:25 PM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Fowler can't handle the pressure at all. He always implodes

CoverTwo 06-15-2014 07:03 PM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4183237)
Fowler can't handle the pressure at all. He always implodes

I wouldn't go that far. His Ryder Cup performances have been super.

He is also going through the swing change.

Hopefully a little more time with Butch will get him to that first major.

b381l 06-18-2014 03:32 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4183237)
Fowler can't handle the pressure at all. He always implodes

he finished 5th in the Masters.....played well Sunday except doubled 1 hole....he had 72 on Sunday, same thing Kaymer had Saturday.

Cock Kool-Aid 06-18-2014 09:00 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4185123)
he finished 5th in the Masters.....played well Sunday except doubled 1 hole....he had 72 on Sunday, same thing Kaymer had Saturday.

The course was set up to play the most difficult on Saturday. Only two players shot under par that I saw (Fowler and Compton). The Sunday setup was supposed to allow players to go low if they played well. Fowler was actually putting very well... on line with great pace, but the ball just was not dropping for him. That's just how it happens sometimes. Kaymer just dominated that tournament from start to finish. Realistically, several players had a shot to atleast make it interesting when Kaymer made a bogey here and there, but the tournament was Kaymer's to lose. That said, Fowler only has one PGA tour win if I'm not mistaken... that's not great at all considering all the hype that comes with him, which I think is mainly due to his style which appeals to little kids... and I can't really bring myself to pull for the guy with the way he dresses sometimes.

ShutTheSuccop 06-18-2014 09:35 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4183237)
Fowler can't handle the pressure at all. He always implodes

wtf? He finished tied 2nd...and started the weekend like 13 shots back of the lead. If anything, Fowler is getting stronger in majors and all that with going through swing changes. I think that your opinion is off base or based on unrealistic expectations for a US Open venue that is one of the quirkiest courses in the USA. If you have ever played there or have the opportunity, you would know what I mean...frustrating as hell and television did the greens no justice in showing how much slope there is on that course.

B-G 06-18-2014 09:56 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Was there really any pressure for Fowler to win though?

Kaymer had this won after Friday.

Sure Fowler played great but I think he means when in contention to win.

There was no pressure on Fowler this weekend, it was Kaymer's to lose.

b381l 06-19-2014 11:41 PM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4185164)
The course was set up to play the most difficult on Saturday. Only two players shot under par that I saw (Fowler and Compton). The Sunday setup was supposed to allow players to go low if they played well. Fowler was actually putting very well... on line with great pace, but the ball just was not dropping for him. That's just how it happens sometimes. Kaymer just dominated that tournament from start to finish. Realistically, several players had a shot to atleast make it interesting when Kaymer made a bogey here and there, but the tournament was Kaymer's to lose. That said, Fowler only has one PGA tour win if I'm not mistaken... that's not great at all considering all the hype that comes with him, which I think is mainly due to his style which appeals to little kids... and I can't really bring myself to pull for the guy with the way he dresses sometimes.

now that Butch Harmon is his coach, I think you'll see him continue to play better and win more tournaments.....he makes a ton of money to dress the way he does.

b381l 06-19-2014 11:41 PM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4185207)
Was there really any pressure for Fowler to win though?

Kaymer had this won after Friday.

Sure Fowler played great but I think he means when in contention to win.

There was no pressure on Fowler this weekend, it was Kaymer's to lose.

it was the US Open....there's a ton of pressure on all the players....

Coulwoodwarlord 06-20-2014 12:00 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4186969)
it was the US Open....there's a ton of pressure on all the players....

Absolutely !
:golf:

b381l 06-20-2014 12:14 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
A scratch amateur golfer that played there couldn't break 80.....with the course set up the way it was. A friend of mine is a scratch player and played at Oakmont the year they had the Open there....he shot 85 the week after the tournament.

B-G 06-20-2014 07:25 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4186969)
it was the US Open....there's a ton of pressure on all the players....

Of course there's pressure on everyone.
Ehhh the spotlight was on Kaymer the entire tourney.
Fowler made a great run but it want a situation similar to what Luke is talking about.

ShutTheSuccop 06-20-2014 09:44 AM

Re: 2014 U.S. Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4187048)
Of course there's pressure on everyone.
Ehhh the spotlight was on Kaymer the entire tourney.
Fowler made a great run but it want a situation similar to what Luke is talking about.

yeah, finishing second in the US Open is certainly evidence of not being able to handle pressure. BTW, they are playing for more than just winning...Fowler moved from 18 to 7 in Ryder Cup points and not to mention the Fed Ex cup points. If you think that does not motivate players, I don't know what else to say. Since he didn't win...he choked, lol...what a joke


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.