CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Hemi Cuda $3.5Mil @ Mecum Sunday (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207323)

uscgmck 06-16-2014 12:12 AM

Hemi Cuda $3.5Mil @ Mecum Sunday

1 Attachment(s)
In 2002, a 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible was the first muscle car to sell for over $1 million dollars. Today, Mecum Auctions arranged for the sale of another 1971 Hemi Cuda convertible for a high price ó $3.5 million. This was a rare car indeed, one of two four-speed Hemi Cuda convertibles sold in the US, fully documented and restored. The carís Hemi V8 engine was rated at 425 horsepower, both gross and net, indicating that the gross power number was under-rated. The body design was led by John Herlitz, then just 27 years old. Sales were never especially high, and while the new 1970 Barracuda (on a completely new body) had nearly double the sales of the 1969 version, it was still under 51,000; and 1971 sales were barely noticeable. Hemi models were extremely rare, given the high maintenance and fuel needs of the engine coupled with a price premium of around a quarter the total price of the car, and the nearly-as-capable 440 option at a much lower price.

This particular B5 Blue model has a New Process Gear four-speed manual transmission, Dana 6 axle, Super Track Pak rear, and power brakes. It was originally owned by cartoonist Russ Meyer and was restored 14 years ago by Julius Steuer of Los Angeles, California. It retains the original factory-installed drivetrain. Thanks, dak4x4.

RGHoskins 06-16-2014 08:03 AM

Re: Hemi Cuda $3.5Mil @ Mecum Sunday

Never thought we'd see Plymouths bringing Bugatti money, but that is an awesome car.

sandstorm2001 06-16-2014 08:33 AM

Wow that's ridiculous. Think of the multiple badass cars you could buy with that kind of money. Not worth.

Flameout12 06-16-2014 08:46 AM

Wow...so a car sold for $3.5 mil with cheesy hubcaps and purple rims?

Not to mention a grille that looks like a mail sort rack (actually the grille looks bad az).

FanofCarolina1 06-16-2014 06:46 PM

I wish I had a cool 3.5 mill. to blow at an auto auction. Shoot I'd rather donate that to the University and have a building on campus named after me.

lencho30 06-16-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 (Post 4183495)
Wow that's ridiculous. Think of the multiple badass cars you could buy with that kind of money. Not worth.

That is THE BADASS car you could buy with that kind of money!! Plymouth came out with some of the most badass cars to ever grace the streets of detroit! That car is so rare, you willnever see another. Oh, if you had 3.5 mil to buy this car then you probably have more than enough money to do anything else you want!

GamecockInHell 06-16-2014 09:26 PM

Younger kids don't know but the hemi Challengers and Cudas are some of the most sought after muscle cars in history. They were bas-ass right from the factory and the production numbers were miniscule. I read somewhere once that some of the hemi Challenger convertibles were produced in numbers less than 50. They are about as rare as you can get for a production car. I wish I had that kind of money to blow on one.

RGHoskins 06-16-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockInHell (Post 4184077)
Younger kids don't know but they hemi Challengers and Cudas are some of the most sought after cars in history. They were bad-ass right from the factory and the production numbers were minuscule. I read somewhere once where some of the hemi Challenger RT convertibles had less than 50 produces. I wish I had 3.5 million to blow for one of them.

The car pictured is one of eleven and one of 2 with a 4 speed. Definitely muscle car royalty but at the end of the day it's still a Plymouth Barracuda. I figured 2 million was about top of the mark on those cars and honestly until Barrett Jackson, you could pick them up for low 6 figures.

lencho30 06-16-2014 09:59 PM

C'mon RG. You know the difference between a 'Cuda and a Barracuda!!

RGHoskins 06-16-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lencho30 (Post 4184094)
C'mon RG. You know the difference between a 'Cuda and a Barracuda!!

Well yeah, but you know what I mean. It's not like a technical marvel or anything. It's still an old Plymouth, just with a set of circumstances that makes it incredibly valuable.

GamecockMomSC 06-16-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4184100)
Well yeah, but you know what I mean. It's not like a technical marvel or anything. It's still an old Plymouth, just with a set of circumstances that makes it incredibly valuable.

Yeah, I can't get over that someone paid millions for a Plymouth. It's a pretty car, but still.

sandstorm2001 06-16-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lencho30 (Post 4183997)
That is THE BADASS car you could buy with that kind of money!! Plymouth came out with some of the most badass cars to ever grace the streets of detroit! That car is so rare, you willnever see another. Oh, if you had 3.5 mil to buy this car then you probably have more than enough money to do anything else you want!

I guess for collectors rare = valuable, I'm just not in agreement here. With that much money you could buy like 20 Aston Martin DB9s...I can promise you that if you showed up to my door with one Aston Martin and one 40 year old Plymouth and offered me my choice of one, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the DB9.

RGHoskins 06-16-2014 10:18 PM

Not taking away anything from the car itself. Hell I drive a new Challenger BECAUSE I wanted an E body more than anything when I was a kid.

sandstorm2001 06-16-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4184112)
Not taking away anything from the car itself. Hell I drive a new Challenger BECAUSE I wanted an E body more than anything when I was a kid.

Nothing wrong with that. You also paid a lot less than 3.5 million for your Challenger. haha

LBC 06-19-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4184112)

I can relate. That Cuda is in fact my dream car and has been since I was a kid.

uscgmck 06-19-2014 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html