CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Second Year Stars: South Carolina (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207357)

garnet_black215 06-16-2014 11:20 PM

Second Year Stars: South Carolina

Didn't see this posted anywhere else.

Three things stand out to me.

1. David Williams has a chance to be pretty good.

2. Coach Spurrier is very high on Pharoh. I'm really hoping he explodes this year. He has a chance to be a big time player on offense.

3. Really surprised David Johnson was the defensive player mentioned over guys like Skai Moore and Kelsey Griffin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...south-carolina

CockyInSeattle 06-17-2014 12:53 AM

Re: Second Year Stars: South Carolina

Thanks for posting this. I have to agree with you, Johnson wasn't even on my radar.

I agree with the other two. The fact that Cooper averaged 10 yards every time he touch the ball is pretty amazing, especially considering he's a true freshman. I fully expect him to have a breakout year, and a productive career as a Gamecock.

I can't wait to see David Williams. His speed is amazing.

CockyLifer 06-17-2014 01:03 AM

All of the mentioned players will have a great year as we win our 1st SEC Championship and National title.:woo::cocky::thumbsup:

Sonofacock 06-17-2014 01:14 AM

Skai Moore

Kickerspl80 06-17-2014 04:12 PM

David williams is really going to open some eyes this year i believe. I'm pumped to see him start toting the rock hopefully the firat game this year

JCock10 06-17-2014 04:25 PM

Not to be a Debbie but David Williams will be lucky to have over 200 yards rushing the entire year. He has got 3 ahead of him. Next year will be his time.

Gamecocks1137 06-17-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCock10 (Post 4184691)
Not to be a Debbie but David Williams will be lucky to have over 200 yards rushing the entire year. He has got 3 ahead of him. Next year will be his time.

Haha, he will have more than that. Pretty sure by the time fall rolls around he will have passed up Shon Carson on the depth chart.

CoverTwo 06-17-2014 05:01 PM

I actually agree with JCock .. I think at best they find a special package to put Williams on the field (sweep man in the Wildcat perhaps?) and a few sprint draws. Barring injury there is too many mouths to feed combined with the ball being put into the air a bunch.

I figured he would beat out Wilds earlier this year but I'm back tracking on that a bit. Brandon is just so damn reliable. I also assumed Shon was going to transfer out to play baseball but now that he is dedicated to football full time..

David Johnson might be a good pick but he has to find a way onto the field behind Dixon and English.

JCock10 06-17-2014 05:13 PM

I know this is not a second year player but by going to the practices the last few years I always liked KJ Brent. With his size and being with the program as long as he has I will say he is one to watch out for.

CoverTwo 06-17-2014 05:14 PM

I don't think KJ is going to be able to hold off Deebo Samuel.

Goofyboy 06-17-2014 07:52 PM

From what I've seen from Williams on film and in the spring game, I believe he will get onto the field and get carries in most games. I think there's a chance he gets 8 or more per game by the last third of the season. I'd imagine him starting as number 4 if Carson's shoulder is OK, but working up the chart by mid season. We may run the ball a lot this year, and Davis need not be worn down with the talent available. I think the coaches will protect him somewhat this year.

usc1 06-17-2014 08:00 PM

We usually have 1-2 RBs hurt thruout the year so I'm sure Williams will see some carries as long as he's one of the healthy ones.

garnet_black215 06-17-2014 11:20 PM

Williams will get his carries, I don't have any questions about that. That said, I'll be surprised if it's more than five or six a game. Ahead of him is a RB that's one of the best in the conference and a backup in Wilds that showed really impressive flashes last year when he was healthy.

yazoo 06-18-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4184695)
Haha, he will have more than that. Pretty sure by the time fall rolls around he will have passed up Shon Carson on the depth chart.

Being able to hold onto the ball could make a difference in the depth chart. Any of these guys could move up or down depending on their propensity to fumble.

Goofyboy 06-18-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazoo (Post 4185215)
Being able to hold onto the ball could make a difference in the depth chart. Any of these guys could move up or down depending on their propensity to fumble.

And pass block. Very important attribute that doesn't happen without effort.

Master Bedroom 06-18-2014 01:18 PM

I think/hope Cooper and Moore will be household names by the end of this season. I want to see Cooper become more of a complete receiver but there is no doubting his playmaking ability. David Johnson is my darkhorse pick...he looked really good running around in the spring game. I am anxious to see what he can do in live action.

CockFighter 06-18-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet_black215 (Post 4184155)
Didn't see this posted anywhere else.

Three things stand out to me.

1. David Williams has a chance to be pretty good.

2. Coach Spurrier is very high on Pharoh. I'm really hoping he explodes this year. He has a chance to be a big time player on offense.

3. Really surprised David Johnson was the defensive player mentioned over guys like Skai Moore and Kelsey Griffin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...south-carolina

David Williams is close in talent to Mike Davis. I have never been impressed with Wilds but he is a Senior so he might get more carries than Williams. Pharoh is an excellent talent and I would have also picked Moore over Johnson. I like the effort Johnson shows at practice but he reminds of of a more athletic Dixon.

Goofyboy 06-18-2014 02:44 PM

One thing concerns me most about Skai Moore. He didn't pick up any appreciable weight offseason, and he seems to lack stopping power. His tackling seems pretty sure, but mostly is grabbing and wrapping. I'm not sure of the hitting sometimes required of an OLB. Laying a lick in the gap can stop a 2-3 yard gain dead.
Wilds has some power and surprising straight-ahead speed. He always seemed awful at cutting and poor at taking good angles to finish a run (ala Lattimore). I think he's worked at elusiveness - I saw him make a good shake move in the spring game, and he's always looked pretty good with the short pass. He may be a good second power runner to avoid wearing Davis down. The SEC is a weekly grind.
David Johnson has always intrigued me - a tweener coming out of HS with ho hum measurables who always impressed those who saw him play as an athletic, tough playmaker. I'm with those guys wanting to see what he can do on the edge.

paynemd2 06-18-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockFighter (Post 4185492)
David Williams is close in talent to Mike Davis. I have never been impressed with Wilds but he is a Senior so he might get more carries than Williams. Pharoh is an excellent talent and I would have also picked Moore over Johnson. I like the effort Johnson shows at practice but he reminds of of a more athletic Dixon.

Wilds is actually a redshirt Junior this season