CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Comcast wifi data limits in select markets (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207373)

wjmfour1 06-17-2014 03:11 PM

Comcast wifi data limits in select markets

Comcast has begun trialing data limits on internet usage in select markets including Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah & Charleston SC. I received a phone call & email alerting me I was @ 90% of my limit in 15 days. Anyone know if AT&T or others have this limit? I'm in SC but considered Augusta market. Also as far as I know we have not gotten the SEC network either. Satellite companies are hitting neighborhoods with flyers trying to gain business saying they will carry it.

Cockypantherfan 06-17-2014 04:06 PM

Re: Comcast wifi data limits in select markets

Comcast are the Clemson of internet/tv suppliers. They think they are good, but nobody likes / respects them.

bigdog2003 06-17-2014 04:42 PM

Dishnet has similar data limits.

The Yancey 06-17-2014 06:10 PM

When you create monopolies that is what you get.

FlorenceCock 06-17-2014 06:14 PM

Wait how are they tracking just your wifi data usage? Do you have to use a Comcast supplied wireless router with their service? I could see them tracking your total data usage with the modem firmware but why would they care just about your wifi data usage as opposed to your overall?

Gamecocks1137 06-17-2014 06:38 PM

AT&T Uverse, which is the internet provider I have does not do this.

ccured 06-17-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlorenceCock (Post 4184837)
Wait how are they tracking just your wifi data usage? Do you have to use a Comcast supplied wireless router with their service? I could see them tracking your total data usage with the modem firmware but why would they care just about your wifi data usage as opposed to your overall?

in his post he doesnt' say wifi like in title. I agree with you probably total data

wjmfour1 06-17-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4184861)
in his post he doesnt' say wifi like in title. I agree with you probably total data

Yes it is total data although I refered to it as wifi. That is the only way we use internet in our home as we have no hardwired conn
ections. I wonder if our Comcast phone uses data toward this limit?

wjmfour1 06-17-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4184858)
AT&T Uverse, which is the internet provider I have does not do this.

Is this considered DSL? I'm not sure we have Uverse in my area.

Gamecocks1137 06-17-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjmfour1 (Post 4184953)

Uverse is basically high speed DSL yes. They provide you a modem that emitts Wifi so you don't have to buy a router. They do not have data limits either, as far as I know. Never had a problem, except for the crappy customer service, but that is everywhere.

The Yancey 06-18-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjmfour1 (Post 4184953)

It is fiber. I switched to it a few years back.

Order 66 06-18-2014 12:55 AM

I see TWC hitting us with this the first chance they get.

Spur's Addiction 06-18-2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4184959)
Uverse is basically high speed DSL yes. They provide you a modem that emitts Wifi so you don't have to buy a router. They do not have data limits either, as far as I know. Never had a problem, except for the crappy customer service, but that is everywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4185067)
It is fiber. I switched to it a few years back.

It's really a hybrid fiber / dsl system.

It is fiber to your neighborhood, but then switches to DSL for the last bit to you house using the traditional phone line. This increases the speed significantly over traditional DSL because it very much reduces the distance it has to run on the old copper phone wiring.

I have had it for about 3-4 years and have been very pleased with the quality of service. Though customer service is horrible, like they all are.

crowcutta 06-18-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Order 66 (Post 4185086)
I see TWC hitting us with this the first chance they get.

especially if the merger goes through im guessing. how many gigs of a data cap does comcast have? im asking because im assuming its ridiculously low.

cocky0 06-18-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowcutta (Post 4185166)
especially if the merger goes through im guessing. how many gigs of a data cap does comcast have? im asking because im assuming its ridiculously low.

300GB/mo.

I just recently switched to Comcast, not because I'm a glutton for punishment, but because it still beats the shit out of Centurylink's pitiful 10Mbps down/1Mbps up. By switching, I got 50/10 and finally access to ESPN3. Anyways so far these are the only two providers in town, so I'm basically just picking my poison at this point. I'm already estimating I'll go over by 50-100GB each month which will cost me an extra $20 per month.

wjmfour1 06-18-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowcutta (Post 4185166)

The email said 300GB but I could buy additional 50GB chunks for $10 after my "LIMIT"

86 GradCock 06-18-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction (Post 4185135)
It's really a hybrid fiber / dsl system.

It is fiber to your neighborhood, but then switches to DSL for the last bit to you house using the traditional phone line. This increases the speed significantly over traditional DSL because it very much reduces the distance it has to run on the old copper phone wiring.

I have had it for about 3-4 years and have been very pleased with the quality of service. Though customer service is horrible, like they all are.

They may be updating to all fiber networks soon. AT&T just ran fiber in our neighborhood. They dug up my front yard about a month ago and technicians have been working to connect all of the houses. I am seriously considering dumping Comcast after 24 years of being a customer.

jayceecock 06-18-2014 11:59 AM

I do have a question for Comcast subscribers.

A few months ago, Comcast sent me a box with a new modem and router. They said if I'm accessing XFINITY with an old modem, I'm not taking advantage of their new speed plans and they strongly urge me to upgrade.

I haven't hooked up the new equipment because I am perfectly happy with my current set up. I pay extra for Blast, my internet is plenty fast for my purpose and I have not encountered any problems. Why change something when it runs smoothly and serves my purpose just fine.

Now I'm receiving calls weekly from Comcast with a recorded message to switch.

Any thoughts?

TheUniversityofSC 06-18-2014 12:01 PM

Is this just for private or for businesses as well.

johnnyb 06-18-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayceecock (Post 4185303)
I do have a question for Comcast subscribers.

A few months ago, Comcast sent me a box with a new modem and router. They said if I'm accessing XFINITY with an old modem, I'm not taking advantage of their new speed plans and they strongly urge me to upgrade.

I haven't hooked up the new equipment because I am perfectly happy with my current set up. I pay extra for Blast, my internet is plenty fast for my purpose and I have not encountered any problems. Why change something when it runs smoothly and serves my purpose just fine.

Now I'm receiving calls weekly from Comcast with a recorded message to switch.

Any thoughts?

is the old modem a router also with wifi?