CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Going to Orlando (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207417)

ACPhilson 06-19-2014 10:38 AM

Going to Orlando

Hey guys,

I am originally from Orlando, and am taking my son down there, he is 5, to see his Grandma before she passes. She probably wont make it through the summer unfortunately. Anyway, not why I am typing this.

Thing is, I haven't been to Orlando in almost 30 years. I am gonna let my son spend a lot of time with my Mom, but I also want to take him to some Theme Parks while we are there.

I was thinking Disney World, Sea World and Lego Land. I don't really want to do Disney, its over priced, and very aged, but, I do want to take him there at least once in his life. Anyway, what are your thoughts, are those 3 good places to go? Its just going to be him and me.

ktguen 06-19-2014 10:45 AM

Re: Going to Orlando

::waits for the anti-Sea World Blackfish fanatics to attack::

I actually haven't been to Sea World in a good many years, so I can't comment on that. But I disagree that Disney is aged. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Definitely do Magic Kingdom to get the full "Disney" experience. I think 5 is a perfect age for his first visit. You got me on the overpriced, though. That's a given.

I would also recommend Islands of Adventure at Universal. But again, $$$

Todescock 06-19-2014 02:15 PM

I would choose either universal or Disney, when you start adding multiple days to your ticket the prices drop a decent amount on a per day bases, if you try to go to all 3 parks you're pretty much talking 300$ per person for one day in each park. Legoland is a 30+ minute drive from the rest of the parks, I've never been there and all I really know about it is kids get to drive around golf cart like things. I recommend getting away from the theme parks, we have tons of lakes and springs around that are really enjoyable to relax at or go canoeing/paddle boarding

Acockolypse Now 06-19-2014 02:25 PM

I was very anti-Disney until I went with my kids. I've been back 3 times since. Get the park hopper and plan to do at least two days.

ColaCock 06-19-2014 02:45 PM

Every person I have talked to has been disappointed with LegoLand. Most have said it wouldn't be worth it, even if the admission was half what they charge.

I also don't support Sea World, so I wouldn't go there.

I'd do Disney...is he in to Harry Potter?

The Yancey 06-19-2014 04:15 PM

The new Magic Kingdom at Disney and Legoland would be my choices. Universal is more geared to older kids and adults.

2000grad 06-19-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACPhilson (Post 4186189)
Hey guys,

I am originally from Orlando, and am taking my son down there, he is 5, to see his Grandma before she passes. She probably wont make it through the summer unfortunately. Anyway, not why I am typing this.

Thing is, I haven't been to Orlando in almost 30 years. I am gonna let my son spend a lot of time with my Mom, but I also want to take him to some Theme Parks while we are there.

I was thinking Disney World, Sea World and Lego Land. I don't really want to do Disney, its over priced, and very aged, but, I do want to take him there at least once in his life. Anyway, what are your thoughts, are those 3 good places to go? Its just going to be him and me.

The Fantasyland Expansion in the Magic Kingdom is awesome. We're going down in about 3 weeks and hope to hit the new 7 dwarfs mine train that just opened. Sea World is great if your kids love animals. My son really enjoys it.

It is true that Disney is the most expensive, but it is also the standard bearer for all theme parks. They just keep getting better. Btw, Universal is only a few bucks cheaper than DIsney.

Never been to Legoland but I haven't read glowing reviews about it either. It can be done in a half day from what I understand.

If you PM me, I can give you some detailed options for your trip

Big-Cock 06-19-2014 05:16 PM

Wild Waters is pretty awesome and not to expensive! They got some bad ass adult slides also.

The Yancey 06-19-2014 06:18 PM

Maybe we can meet up while you are down. Just shoot me a PM.

ipull4usc 06-19-2014 11:41 PM

Columbia's Mayor Steve Benjamin can tell you some good gentlemen's clubs to hit up in Orlando...

http://www.thestate.com/2014/06/18/3...-sc-state.html

spareparts 06-22-2014 06:44 PM

Cheeseburger in Paradise

bigdog2003 06-22-2014 07:30 PM

We went to Legoland 2 years ago on a school field trip with 4-6 graders, and it wasn't anything great. We went to Universal and IOA the day before and had a great time. Legoland is something that takes a few hours to do everything there. I don't know how much tickets are to get in, but I would have thought it was highly overpriced at more than about $45 a person. 4 roller coasters, a few other rides, my favorite non coaster there was a ride through laser shooting game.

I would say Universal and IOA and get the park hop ticket or two day pass. So much to do there, and plenty of indoor spots if it gets to hot. Plus they have stuff for kids and parents.

We did Busch Gardens on the trip this year and it was ok, but we had to rush the entire time thanks to our bus drivers getting lost. I tried to help them since I have made several trips down to Orlando/Tampa the last few years, but they wouldn't listen. Ended up getting there 2 hours later than we should have.

U-Dub Gamecock 06-23-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACPhilson (Post 4186189)
Hey guys,

Disney World... I really love the place, and so do the kids...

Sea World... Went there last year, I like it okay, but not overly impressed.

Lego Land. I have been to the one in Carlsbad, CA... Thought it was very overrated...other than the cities( made of Legos), there really wasn't much to it... A couple of nice rides, but not worth the $$$

I loved Discovery Cove... You get to swim and interact with all types of fish, Stingrays, and other sea creatures, along with birds too... Kids still talk about it.