CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Martin, Thornwell, & Johnson to Europe this Summer (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207419)

CoverTwo 06-19-2014 11:15 AM

Martin, Thornwell, & Johnson to Europe this Summer

Article via GamecocksOnline

Should be a good experience for our talented backcourt.

burr 06-27-2014 01:20 PM

Re: Martin, Thornwell, & Johnson to Europe this Summer

I see no sense in going to Europe. Last night on a 'Sportstalk' interview, among other European BS, Coach raved about communicating with a Polish recruit by some Google program.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PLAYGROUND HERE in the good ole 'States' with regular ole superstars that may talk a little slangy but I don't think a translator is needed.

Of course I see less need in our nation as a worldwide presence than I used to too. Its called cutting back, saving some money, investing in our house, ECT !

Travelin 06-28-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burr (Post 4191905)
I see no sense in going to Europe. Last night on a 'Sportstalk' interview, among other European BS, Coach raved about communicating with a Polish recruit by some Google program.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PLAYGROUND HERE in the good ole 'States' with regular ole superstars that may talk a little slangy but I don't think a translator is needed.

Of course I see less need in our nation as a worldwide presence than I used to too. Its called cutting back, saving some money, investing in our house, ECT !

I hope we get him.

ReadR00ster 06-28-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burr (Post 4191905)

Hopefully he is a big, because if we can't land one in this country we better get one from some other country. We had a big from GA and apparently he wasn't that good.

burr 06-29-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4192377)
I hope we get him.

yeah, at least now we'll understand why Coach has to be so expressive on the courtside - so the playa may now get what he's been trying to figure out at practice for so long.

burr 06-06-2015 12:17 PM

gotta bump this up - NikeJam here in a couple weeks, best young'uns in the nation will be showing off only 70 MILES AWAY ! an hour+ back to the house and family each night Frank, forget about Europe, check the back yard (like many major schools, many nat'l champs that work this week in NorthAugusta)

doubledribble 06-06-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burr (Post 4454530)
gotta bump this up - NikeJam here in a couple weeks, best young'uns in the nation will be showing off only 70 MILES AWAY ! an hour+ back to the house and family each night Frank, forget about Europe, check the back yard (like many major schools, many nat'l champs that work this week in NorthAugusta)

What does the NikeJam have to do with the Four Nations Cup? Why bump this from a year ago?

PageUSC 06-06-2015 01:37 PM

can they teach them to shoot over there?

doubledribble 06-06-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PageUSC (Post 4454544)
can they teach them to shoot over there?

Let's not bash Thornwell on a thread from last summer.

burr 06-06-2015 03:43 PM

same point as I was making last year - stay home instead of SCOUTING IN EUROPE ! nothing to with thornwell.

doubledribble 06-06-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burr (Post 4454571)
same point as I was making last year - stay home instead of SCOUTING IN EUROPE ! nothing to with thornwell.

This wasn't about recruiting. It was a national team that Martin was the assistant coach for and Thornwell and Johnson played on.

qcgamecock 06-09-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burr (Post 4454571)

Makes no sense, Martin is a coach on a National team that will play in Europe, Thornwell and Johnson were invited to play on the team and therefore they all traveled to Europe, I'm sure he will scout Europe as some of the greatest basektball players in the world reside in Europe.... We would have been an ugly team this year without LChat and Kacinas.

burr 06-09-2015 04:50 PM

makes no sense ? to stay home each night in yer own bed with family, maybe even save the school a little $$, see the best we (as in us, the USA, homeboys, and some of the best) - or go to Europe to recruit a player that may not even understand the language ! makes no sense ? and you did mention scouting (over there), right ?

I revived this year old thread just because the NikeJam is rolling into town, and CoachMartin has not shown any interest in past two seasons, like some of the best coaches and schools in the nation do annually, that's all I mean.

doubledribble 06-09-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burr (Post 4455977)
makes no sense ? to stay home each night in yer own bed with family, maybe even save the school a little $$, see the best we (as in us, the USA, homeboys, and some of the best) - or go to Europe to recruit a player that may not even understand the language ! makes no sense ? and you did mention scouting (over there), right ?

I revived this year old thread just because the NikeJam is rolling into town, and CoachMartin has not shown any interest in past two seasons, like some of the best coaches and schools in the nation do annually, that's all I mean.

The Four Nations cup was a tournament where a group of players from the U.S., featuring players from many different schools, competed. USC doesn't pay anything. It's not about scouting or recruiting. Please understand this.

qcgamecock 06-10-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Your lost so I will throw you another bone, it was a National Team, USA, America, your country, not a USC team so therefore it cost USC nothing and gave the young men as well as the coach some free travel and teaching time together! To each his own, some people enjoy going home every night and doing the same thing every day, I traveled the world working, took every adventure I could find along the way and the couch and family were still here when I returned...

uscalum92 06-10-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Don't know, so I'll just ask. Maybe a coach at an Under Armour school is not welcome at the NikeJam. Is that possible?

Cockhornleghorn 06-10-2015 07:08 PM

There are a lot of good players in Europe; there's nothing wrong with getting a nice pipeline in place. USC has a lot of international students and a top International Business Program, which gives us an "in" with those recruits.