CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Jhaustin Thomas not playing this year (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207422)

CockFighter 06-19-2014 12:17 PM

Jhaustin Thomas not playing this year

According to Tony Morrell of TheBigSpur.com, USC 2014 recruit DE Jhaustin Thomas of Atlanta and Trinity Valley JC, TX will not have the grades to be able to enroll at USC this fall.

Roosterboy 06-19-2014 12:21 PM

Re: Jhaustin Thomas not playing this year

Partly expected I think.
At least Joe Blue got in and Wideman still has a chance from what it sounds like.

Evilchicken2 06-19-2014 12:32 PM

Why is Spurrier wasting time recruiting guys with highly suspect grades? If guys aren't performing in high school of all places, why are we trying to fit a square peg in a round hole at the college level?

PageUSC 06-19-2014 12:36 PM

Twice failed to make it in. I think we can pretty much write him off of ever getting into USC at this point.

Sucks bc he could of possibly started this year or atleast been a situational pass rusher and in the 2 deep

carolina_corpsman 06-19-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 (Post 4186333)
Why is Spurrier wasting time recruiting guys with highly suspect grades? If guys aren't performing in high school of all places, why are we trying to fit a square peg in a round hole at the college level?

I have asked this question before and never got a good answer. All they have to do is make decent grades and in exchange they get a full ride to a good school and a chance to play ball at a high level. If they can't be bothered to make sure that they hold up their end, how are you able to say that they will put in the work needed to succeed on the field or in the classroom?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latt7more 06-19-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

There's always hope that the kids who somehow can't make the grades in high school will get their $hit together and actually make the grades in JUCO/Prep. But to your point, we should have a better understanding of these kids in terms of academic motivation. It's ridiculous that these kids won't realize this is their only shot at a successful future.

Evilchicken2 06-19-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman (Post 4186341)
I have asked this question before and never got a good answer. All they have to do is make decent grades and in exchange they get a full ride to a good school and a chance to play ball at a high level. If they can't be bothered to make sure that they hold up their end, how are you able to say that they will put in the work needed to succeed on the field or in the classroom?

Agreed! High school athletes should have ZERO problem getting "decent" grades as everything is stacked in their favor in terms of classes, expectations, and help. If you're doing bad in HS it's because you're either cursed with low intelligence, or you didn't put in the work. In either case, college isn't for you, and Spurrier is wasting his time.

Evilchicken2 06-19-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latt7more (Post 4186343)
There's always hope that the kids who somehow can't make the grades in high school will get their $hit together and actually make the grades in JUCO/Prep. But to your point, we should have a better understanding of these kids in terms of academic motivation. It's ridiculous that these kids won't realize this is their only shot at a successful future.

Nicely said. How is it that the HS coaches don't sit these guys down and tell them this is their ONE shot?! Just get qualified, and the sky's the limit!

Latt7more 06-19-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 (Post 4186349)
Nicely said. How is it that the HS coaches don't sit these guys down and tell them this is their ONE shot?! Just get qualified, and the sky's the limit!

It's a hindsight type deal. Most kids won't get it until the opportunity is gone. I saw it in my high school/area all the time. I have a friend who once couldn't even get a 14 on the ACT, so he ended up at JUCO, but now he's making straight A's and playing football for Arkansas.

sc455 06-19-2014 01:07 PM

if we dont recruit them someone else will. many will qaullify and play against us. i dont really get how supposedly smart people cant understand why we should not recruit a kid from juco..

Lonnie 06-19-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc455 (Post 4186363)
if we dont recruit them someone else will. many will qaullify and play against us. i dont really get how supposedly smart people cant understand why we should not recruit a kid from juco..

I think that ONE KID not making the grade we can all understand. I think it's the cumulative effect, magnified along the D-line recruits this year, that makes this particularly frustrating (and as a result, the fans more critical)...

jrussjr 06-19-2014 01:15 PM

:thumbs:

I was looking forward to chanting "DOOOOOOOOOBIE"

Nonetheless, I wish him well.

bobbycock 06-19-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latt7more (Post 4186362)
It's a hindsight type deal. Most kids won't get it until the opportunity is gone. I saw it in my high school/area all the time. I have a friend who once couldn't even get a 14 on the ACT, so he ended up at JUCO, but now he's making straight A's and playing football for Arkansas.

Maybe some of these high school coaches don't care about the player's future but more about winning state championships.

Goofyboy 06-19-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Just to give you a few more things to complain about.

boness 06-19-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 4186455)
Just to give you a few more things to complain about.

his point is reasonable, seems our team, any team would first recruit primarily kids who are most likely to qualify and then add to them a few, a very few, flyers who are risk not to do so but who's talent deems the occasional risk worthwhile.
not to speak for those taking issue, but i interpret them to take issue not w/ the fact that we sign some qualifing risk but with the proportion of those we signed being at risk as well as the concentration of them at DL over time.
i understand the import of wishing to develop the prospect believed to be the more talented player suiting up when possible but there is one thing more important than that.... having some prospects to develop, someones to actually suit up.

JCock10 06-19-2014 03:38 PM

Our DE's situation is awful. We have LBs playing weak and strong side DE, other than Gerald D.

carolinamyke 06-19-2014 03:46 PM

D

johnson and D English are not LBs. D Washington either

yazoo 06-19-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman (Post 4186341)

Sometimes they get pretty far behind early on and it is difficult to catch up. Grades are not always easy to achieve, and there might be circumstances of which you are unaware. Thus, you should not be sitting in judgment so much. Hopefully, that answer is satisfying to you. I am willing to predict it will not be.

carolina_corpsman 06-19-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazoo (Post 4186595)
Sometimes they get pretty far behind early on and it is difficult to catch up. Grades are not always easy to achieve, and there might be circumstances of which you are unaware. Thus, you should not be sitting in judgment so much. Hopefully, that answer is satisfying to you. I am willing to predict it will not be.

from the conversations I have had with recent high school grads, the general consensus is that you need to TRY to fail your senior year. High school is not difficult.

gamecock88 06-19-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

I agree.