CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Student/Alumni/ Or Just Fan? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207427)

Jack Garnet 06-19-2014 02:27 PM

Student/Alumni/ Or Just Fan?

I saw this on another team's message board and thought it was a pretty good question. I'd kind of like to get a poll of what we have here at cockytalk. I hope this doesn't bring the whole "you're not a real fan unless you went to the school" comments. But here goes: Are you a current student, alumni, or just a fan of the school?

My answer is I started just a fan, and am currently a student. My father was a pastor who went to seminary. He didn't care much for football, so Gamecock football wasn't in my blood. When I was in 3rd grade my best friend, whose dad attended South Carolina, told me that I should be a Gamecock fan. So I became one that minute. Simple as that. In high school I always intended to attend USC, but due to some circumstances ended up going to a 2-year college. Now, I'm 26 and last year started a career that requires me to get more education, so I've finally enrolled at USC. I guess it's never too late, right?

Lonnie 06-19-2014 02:30 PM

Re: Student/Alumni/ Or Just Fan?

Just a fan, but a son and brother of Alumni. I've seen more games in Willy B than I have from the school I graduated from (and I was required to attend home games there).

On a side note, I had a informal offer of a PhD assistantship at Clemson (i turned it down)...

Cocky chick 06-19-2014 02:31 PM

Proud alumnus here!

CoverTwo 06-19-2014 02:31 PM

Alumni - Class of 2009.

Family members including my dad went to school there. I was also really into Gamecock sports so I was pretty much set on attending but my mom wanted me to go to CofC .. Looking back on it, she was probably right. Not that I didn't enjoy my time in Columbia but I think I would've been better in Charleston. I fell victim of attending because of being a fan rather than what was best for me.

Cockypantherfan 06-19-2014 02:34 PM

Class of 2011 here. My sister also graduated from Carolina in 2009.

tomtomusc 06-19-2014 02:34 PM

class of 84

COCKDIESEL 06-19-2014 02:36 PM

Class of 2005!

I Bleed Garnet 06-19-2014 02:42 PM

Alumni- 2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonnie (Post 4186451)
On a side note, I had a informal offer of a PhD assistantship at Clemson (i turned it down)...

If you don't mind, can I ask why?

ShutTheSuccop 06-19-2014 02:48 PM

Fan!

My mom, dad, and sister are alumni...I went to Furman undergrad

Roosterboy 06-19-2014 02:51 PM

Class of 2010.
Father, mother and grandfather also alumni.
Brother is set to be a freshman at USC this fall.

Thenardier 06-19-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet (Post 4186469)
Alumni- 2012

If you don't mind, can I ask why?

Was going to ask why too. I hope he had a better offer, or else it's cutting his nose off to spite his face.

kingoftheroost 06-19-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4186454)
Alumni - Class of 2009.

Family members including my dad went to school there. I was also really into Gamecock sports so I was pretty much set on attending, but my mom wanted me to go to CofC .. Looking back on it, she was probably right. Not that I didn't enjoy my time in Columbia, but I think I would've been better in Charleston. I fell victim of attending because of being a fan rather than what was best for me.

Not to derail the thread, but this kind of honesty is quite refreshing. Sports are a magnificent recruiting tool for non athletes (it worked in your case), but more people should probably step back and evaluate their situations thoroughly instead of simply going because they're fans.

As for the question the OP asked, I am a lifelong fan first. I started doctoral work at USC in the fall of 2012 (currently on hold), so I'm a student as well, though not technically at present.

treys1986 06-19-2014 03:18 PM

Class of 2010

Big-Cock 06-19-2014 03:22 PM

I know people look down on fans that are not Alumni but I lived in South Carolina since I was in the fourth grade. I was never really into watching football when I was younger. I played it but never watched or kept up with it. I always just remember my Great Grandfather who lived in Florida being a huge UF fan and even bigger SOS fan so I always watched or heard about SOS anytime I was at his house which was a lot. My G-PA died when I was young and we was really close. I started watching when Lou was coaching and then when SOS became the coach I really became a huge fan. I now rep USC to the fullest down here in gaytor country.

Biocockanics 06-19-2014 03:23 PM

Fan and PhD Candidate.

PLace your bets now..over under at page 3 before someone drops the "I'm a better fan bc I went there...I'm enlightened" crap

AtlGamecock3307 06-19-2014 03:23 PM

Class of 09

A. Pilgrim 06-19-2014 03:23 PM

http://www.sc.edu/toolbox/images/seal.png

Class of '05!

GamecockMomSC 06-19-2014 03:31 PM

Alumna
*graduate school 2005

I went elsewhere for undergrad, but I've been a Gamecock fan my entire life.

Spur's Addiction 06-19-2014 03:35 PM

Class 97

ktguen 06-19-2014 03:37 PM

Fan turned student turned alumna. Class of 2013.