CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   CWS Championship thread - UVA/Vandy (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207523)

ktguen 06-23-2014 12:26 PM

CWS Championship thread - UVA/Vandy

Kicks off tonight at 8pm. Should be a good series. Any thoughts?

Vandy making it in makes it 7 straight years an SEC team has played for the title.

uscjeremynca 06-23-2014 12:37 PM

Re: CWS Championship thread - UVA/Vandy

SEC is as dominant in college baseball as they are college football. The thing with baseball is it's a different team nearly every season.

I want Vandy to win. The last thing I want to see is the ACC break their nearly 60 year drought without a title (their one and only). However, UVA might be the better team.

jrussjr 06-23-2014 12:47 PM

If uva wins, acc wins and breaks their "drought/curse". If vandy wins, vandy & jackleg jr wins but SEC wins and keeps acc from winning. Therefore, I am siding with vandy.

Coulwoodwarlord 06-23-2014 12:48 PM

Tall order for Vandy, but it's baseball so anything goes.

CoverTwo 06-23-2014 12:51 PM

**** Vandy.

ktguen 06-23-2014 12:54 PM

It will be the first CWS title for either team.

eatlighting 06-23-2014 12:59 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nausieum in the CWS threads so far, but honestly, I've been too frustrated since the regionals to look at a baseball thread until this one.

I just can't decide if it hurts worse that a team we won a series over is in the championship game, or if we should wear that as some sort of moral victory badge of honor.

I really believe we were at least good enough to be in Omaha this year.

I think I'm going to go with option A and say it sickens me that no real dominate team emerged, even in the finals.

No use crying about it, though.

catdaddy66 06-23-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4188857)
**** Vandy.

:rotfl:

ktguen 06-23-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatlighting (Post 4188867)
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nausieum in the CWS threads so far, but honestly, I've been too frustrated since the regionals to look at a baseball thread until this one.

I just can't decide if it hurts worse that a team we won a series over is in the championship game, or if we should wear that as some sort of moral victory badge of honor.

I really believe we were at least good enough to be in Omaha this year.

I think I'm going to go with option A and say it sickens me that no real dominate team emerged, even in the finals.

No use crying about it, though.

I don't know if I would call them dominant, but Virginia has been very consistent the whole year. A few slips here and there in typical baseball fashion but they've been right in the mix all season, and now find themselves in the championship series.

trapper82 06-23-2014 01:56 PM

This is a case in which I find no problem cheering for the SEC team. Yes, Vandy is in competition with us, but right now selling the SEC network is paramount. Having championships in major sports is how we accomplish this. Right now we're 0-2 in football and basketball.

cockinraleigh 06-23-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

**** Vandy.

My thoughts exactly.

eatlighting 06-23-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktguen (Post 4188907)
I don't know if I would call them dominant, but Virginia has been very consistent the whole year. A few slips here and there in typical baseball fashion but they've been right in the mix all season, and now find themselves in the championship series.

True. It just stung to see Ole Piss and Vandy make it through. It stings a little worse that Vandy is in the 'ship.

I just can't stand Little Jacklegg.

I'm mostly just belly aching. :wink:

B-G 06-23-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4188915)
This is a case in which I find no problem cheering for the SEC team. Yes, Vandy is in competition with us, but right now selling the SEC network is paramount. Having championships in major sports is how we accomplish this. Right now we're 0-2 in football and basketball.

People watch the CWS?

ktguen 06-23-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatlighting (Post 4188918)
True. It just stung to see Ole Piss and Vandy make it through. It stings a little worse that Vandy is in the 'ship.

I just can't stand Little Jacklegg.

I'm mostly just belly aching. :wink:

I feel ya there, haha

usc1 06-23-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

**** Vandy.

I'm with this guy. I'd hate to see the ACC streak end but I have a special disdain for Vandy baseball. From the coaches to the players to the stupid frolicking around they do in the outfield. You think they're cocky now? Wait until they win a NC.

trapper82 06-23-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4188919)
People watch the CWS?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...season/187472/

Quote:

Nine of ESPN’s top 10 markets were also among the top 10 markets for ESPN2: Louisville (2nd on ESPN & tied 6th on ESPN2), Greenville-Spartanburg (4th & 2nd), Greensboro (tied 4th & 3rd), Raleigh-Durham (6th & tied 4th), Charlotte (tied 7th & tied 8th), Birmingham (tied 7th & tied 4th) and Memphis (tied 9th & tied 10th).
See anything about that footprint that would interest baseball related advertising for the SEC Network?

B-G 06-23-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4188915)

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4188945)
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...season/187472/

See anything about that footprint that would interest baseball related advertising for the SEC Network?

Dang looks pretty small to me.

trapper82 06-23-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4188968)
Dang looks pretty small to me.

You can believe what you wish I guess. What everyone "should" agree on is that the numbers are growing, and as I've already proven the areas that showed the most interest are spread around the south from Kentucky to North Carolina to Tennessee to Alabama to Louisiana. That is the SEC Network footprint.

Other sports have declining tv numbers, Nascar and MLB among them. You want to be on the growing side, not the shrinking side.

Gyle41386 06-23-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

**** Vandy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockinraleigh (Post 4188916)
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4188935)
I'm with this guy. I'd hate to see the ACC streak end but I have a special disdain for Vandy baseball. From the coaches to the players to the stupid frolicking around they do in the outfield. You think they're cocky now? Wait until they win a NC.

Add me to that list.

Coulwoodwarlord 06-23-2014 09:06 PM

I've thought about this, and though I do agree with C2 initial comment, I despise the ACC more than I do Vanderbilt, not much, but enough. Go Commodores !