CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Spurrier's latest victim: Nick Saban.... (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207524)

Lonnie 06-23-2014 12:48 PM

Spurrier's latest victim: Nick Saban....

Widely reported in the secondary media. Welcome to the off season...

ZING!!!!

Quote:

“How many SECs has (Saban) won there in eight years? He’s won two. He’s won three nationals, but he’s only won two SECs in eight years. Now, if you had the No. 1 recruiting class every year and so forth, I don’t know if he has maxed out potentially as well as he could.”
Quote:

“I told Nick Saban one time, I said, ‘Nick, you don’t have to stay there until midnight and your teams would be just as good and win just as many,’ ” Spurrier said. “He said, ‘If I could do it the way you do it, I would, but I don’t feel comfortable unless I try to cover every base, every angle, be totally prepared.’ I said, ‘Well, that’s probably why you do it.’ When I come out there, I feel comfortable we are ready to play. We have our game plan in, going to call this, call that and so forth. Everybody is different as far as when they feel they are totally prepared.”

conwaycock2 06-23-2014 12:53 PM

Re: Spurrier's latest victim: Nick Saban....

Those 3 National Championships probably take most of the sting out of the zing. Saban's the best coach in the country, the total package, the numbers don't lie.

TonyVercetti 06-23-2014 12:55 PM

I dont really feel like it was a zing as much as it was spurrier just speaking his mind

tpep 06-23-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conwaycock2 (Post 4188859)
Those 3 National Championships probably take most of the sting out of the zing. Saban's the best coach in the country, the total package, the numbers don't lie.

yes. but I'm betting that one of saban's off-season hires bites him in the azz:lol:

Lonnie 06-23-2014 12:59 PM

To be honest and fair, I really don't think this is Spurrier zinging Saban as much as it is Spurrier zinging the recruiting process...

CoverTwo 06-23-2014 01:01 PM

I think you're reaching.

markp_vip 06-23-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpep (Post 4188865)
yes. but I'm betting that one of saban's off-season hires bites him in the azz:lol:

Let's hope so, but I think Lame Kiffin might be there as a fall guy.

B-G 06-23-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4188870)
I think you're reaching.

He seems to often.

MisterClowney 06-23-2014 01:06 PM

STEEEEEVE

Lonnie 06-23-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4188875)
He seems to often.

There's always the ignore list, or the option of not clicking.

Thank you, drive thru...

B-G 06-23-2014 01:12 PM

I'm not allowed to comment?

Maybe it's me but I don't think Saban cares much.
He's too much of a robot and those national title rings are in the way

tpep 06-23-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp_vip (Post 4188872)
Let's hope so, but I think Lame Kiffin might be there as a fall guy.

as long as lame has saban by the nads when he falls. I'm just saying...

jrussjr 06-23-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4188870)
I think you're reaching.

Even if he is reaching, this is the off season; therefore, it will be scooped up and ran with. Thanks for posting, Lon!

Take-a-Knee 06-23-2014 01:38 PM

The pressure is getting to Saban , something is gonna give at Bama soon ..

cockymac 06-23-2014 01:42 PM

Few coaches in the history of college football have as many national championships as Saban does. And he's still got a lot of years left. The guy is doing something right.

trapper82 06-23-2014 01:49 PM

I would like to think that if I were given the choice, I would pick the guy who was more balanced in life, making time and demanding that the other coaches make time for their families. Someone who knew that sometimes losses happen, and said that even when they do you can learn valuable lessons and move on.

But then again, if the workaholic who makes all the other coaches on staff stay late at night got us multiple National Championships, I doubt we'd say anything close to what I said in the first paragraph.

CoverTwo 06-23-2014 02:19 PM

To me it reads that Spurrier lets his assistants do their jobs. If Alabama is paying all these assistants and advisors all of this money and Saban is knee deep in everything, what good are they? How are they going to develop as coaches?

Whereas you look at our staff and guys like Coach Elliott, Ward, Mangus, Brown .. these guys have blossomed under Spurrier. I may be wrong but it appears to me like he does a better job grooming assistants.

The only thing I wish Coach Spurrier would do more of is staying close enough to campus to swing by and see recruits. IMO, there is no reason for any big time target (or commitment) not to see him while in Columbia. I understand if there is a family vacation, emergency, or he is at meetings in Florida but other than that he needs to be around to shake these prospect's hands. He has done a pretty good job of that so far this year it seems though.

usc1 06-23-2014 02:19 PM

To be fair, we would've won a National Title by now had we had the #1 class every year. We do pretty damn well with the #15 class every year. Saban's method isn't necessarily better.

conwaycock2 06-23-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4188930)
To be fair, we would've won a National Title by now had we had the #1 class every year. We do pretty damn well with the #15 class every year. Saban's method isn't necessarily better.

No way in hell you can say that. Maybe, maybe not. Saban gets the #1 class every year in large part because he works his ass off to do so. Never lose sight of that.

usc1 06-23-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conwaycock2 (Post 4188933)
No way in hell you can say that. Maybe, maybe not. Saban gets the #1 class every year in large part because he works his ass off to do so. Never lose sight of that.

It's a hell of a lot easier to sell Bama than it is USC. They have a lot of history we don't have.