CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Talking to children about sex (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207574)

sandstorm2001 06-25-2014 07:01 PM

Talking to children about sex

I don't have any kids, but saw this in my newsfeed and found it to be interesting. I'm curious to hear Cockytalks opinions and how you've personally handled such discussions with your kids.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/heal...leasure-81691/

catdaddy66 06-25-2014 08:04 PM

Re: Talking to children about sex

My son is 18 and I can say that we had talked, but I cannot recall how that went. Lol

It was nerve racking no matter how well you rehearse it in your head.

GamecockNeal 06-25-2014 08:19 PM

As a health and PE teacher who teaches sex ed, it helps alot when parents speak with their children and not just rely on teachers. Yes it is awkward and difficult but it should be done.

cockymac 06-26-2014 02:52 PM

I'm waiting until mine hit 30.

TucockShakur 06-26-2014 02:56 PM

My parents were always very upfront and open and honest with me. I was 4 when my little brother was born, so I got the whole medical truth pretty early on. They checked out a book from the library for me, and I started to read it on the way home. The story is that after a few minutes of quiet reading, I spoke up from the back seat and said "So mom, is that baby kicking in your uterus or what?"

The Yancey 06-26-2014 03:00 PM

My ex and I were sex therapists so my son was always given age appropriate sex ed. With the STDs around today it s even more important than it was then.

Take-a-Knee 06-26-2014 04:49 PM

I asked both my sons when they were 10 or 11 if they knew about sex or if they had any questions .. They both said they did .. I told them often that peer pressure would try to make them think it was OK to go after any girl they could for sex .. I told them that first of all , having sex with any girl would be messing with somebody's loved daughter .. And that if you will , just holding hands with a girl you liked and maybe a kiss after you get to know them is more full filling and wonderful than the lie of having unmarried sex .. Both my sons took celibacy vows in high school and dated in groups .. I think about 200 others took the vow too , that was some happy responsible kids with great attitudes with little fear or guilt ..

palmettosc 06-26-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee (Post 4191390)
I asked both my sons when they were 10 or 11 if they knew about sex or if they had any questions .. They both said they did .. I told them often that peer pressure would try to make them think it was OK to go after any girl they could for sex .. I told them that first of all , having sex with any girl would be messing with somebody's loved daughter .. And that if you will , just holding hands with a girl you liked and maybe a kiss after you get to know them is more full filling and wonderful than the lie of having unmarried sex .. Both my sons took celibacy vows in high school and dated in groups .. I think about 200 others took the vow too , that was some happy responsible kids with great attitudes with little fear or guilt ..

Was this back in 1950?

Take-a-Knee 06-26-2014 04:57 PM

1996-1998

USCfootball 06-26-2014 05:22 PM

Good for them :clap: It's Tebow-esque and as long as they don't feel like they missed out on unique opportunities that being young affords you, it is a very admirable thing.

Take-a-Knee 06-26-2014 05:34 PM

Well the part I was most proud of was they both did it on their own , I didn't know anything about it until weeks later .. Way before we ever heard of Tebow

Gamecocks1137 06-26-2014 09:14 PM

I think the talk is more important for daughters than sons. Sons, two of which I have often figure it out around ages 8-13. The daughter is the one most of the time being taken advantage of, seeing how they feel either pressured or the fact that most young boys around that age are sex crazed. I mean come on, we all were, it is human nature. I lost my virginity around 14, but that was the early 80s. Not that it makes it any different, but you know things happen. Women are the ones who should be aware of the men just hanging around wanting some. Men, well you can talk to your sons all you want, and they may listen, they may not. The talk is what it is, but it can benefit society as a whole if a woman is proud of herself and doesn't put out like some of the young girls these days. I hate to say it that way, and not being sexist, but a NO can go a long way for both of them. "Or at least a not yet." :lol:

MEL 06-29-2014 06:58 PM

I told my daughters when they asked. If they had not asked by the time they were 12 I would have sat them down and had "the talk". My youngest daughter asked me at age 9. I had to draw diagrams of the male/female genitalia because she asked me to and I was done in 5 minutes. She understood it on the first talk.

The Yancey 06-29-2014 07:24 PM

Sonofacock 06-29-2014 11:23 PM

22 years old, my parents and I still haven't had the talk yet. I think I'm alright

rdwylie 06-30-2014 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCfootball (Post 4191421)
Good for them :clap: It's Tebow-esque and as long as they don't feel like they missed out on unique opportunities that being young affords you, it is a very admirable thing.

I know you mean what you say above but what are they gonna miss out on besides feeling used, learning how to treat women as objects, learning to follow ones lower instincts instead of being chaste and acting in accordance with being a human and not a dog in heat, getting preggers at 16 and then wondering why everything in your life has to be so hard, having sexual relations without the emotional stability to handle such an intense thing. Ohhh, and STD's! They would not want to miss out on that unique opportunity.

Not flaming you, just wondering what positive things come from having multiple sexual partners or sexual relations before commitment? I wish I had the character to have abstained and instead of missing out on anything I know what I lost.

cock13 06-30-2014 12:42 AM

I tried to talk to children about sex and it was all "banned from the public library" this and "registered offender" that.

Thenardier 06-30-2014 12:44 AM

Yeah, never had the talk with my parents, had to figure out everything on my own, and that's fine.

rdwylie 06-30-2014 12:45 AM

Just let them watch a season of Teen Mom and it will give a strong dose of reality.

Hog 06-30-2014 03:25 PM

When I had "the talk" with my oldest son, who's 22 now a long time ago, I remember I wound up asking him questions.