CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Can someone fill me in on these things (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207596)

vthokies 06-26-2014 04:53 PM

Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Im trying to better understand the history of SC since I will be moving there soon.

Do people call it USC or SC?

USC and SC are both trade marked by Southern California. I get confused often when people are talking football and say USC. I've heard USC-e and USC-jr. I think just saying South Carolina will be best?..

When singing the alma mater (i think), everyone puts up their thumb and pinky like "surfs up". What does that stand for/meaning behind it? Columbia isn't at the beach so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you in advanced!

Sir Cuss 06-26-2014 04:59 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Trolololololo

Spurticus 06-26-2014 05:00 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vthokies (Post 4191395)
Im trying to better understand the history of SC since I will be moving there soon.

Do people call it USC or SC?

USC and SC are both trade marked by Southern California. I get confused often when people are talking football and say USC. I've heard USC-e and USC-jr. I think just saying South Carolina will be best?..

When singing the alma mater (i think), everyone puts up their thumb and pinky like "surfs up". What does that stand for/meaning behind it? Columbia isn't at the beach so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you in advanced!


We are the original USC .... We had a University in SC before California was
a State in the union. However, our university didn't have the foresight (didn't
think it necessary I guess) to register or trademark the "USC" or SC either.
So Cal did and so OFFICIALLY, USC is most often used to refer to SoCal.
South Carolina is either Carolina (In This state) vs North Carolina
or simply South Carolina.

The arm raised at the end of the Alma Mata is actually to represent Holding
a Glass / Challis. The last line of the AM is "Here's a Health Carolina, Forever
to Thee
". Health being Toast (to your health) , as the hand is raised.

vthokies 06-26-2014 05:03 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurticus (Post 4191403)
We are the original USC .... We had a University in SC before California was
a State in the union. However, our university didn't have the foresight (didn't
think it necessary I guess) to register or trademark the "USC" or SC either.
So Cal did and so OFFICIALLY, USC is most often used to refer to SoCal.
South Carolina is either Carolina (In This state) vs North Carolina
or simply South Carolina.

The arm raised at the end of the Alma Mata is actually to represent Holding
a Glass / Challis. The last line of the AM is Here's a Health Carolina, Forever
to Thee. Health being Toast, as the hand is raised.

Thank you! I have seen a lot of hashtags of Forever To Thee so now I understand. Thanks!

vthokies 06-26-2014 05:03 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Cuss (Post 4191400)
Trolololololo

Why?

ccured 06-26-2014 05:15 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
also you are mistaken the spurs up hand thing and the raising a toast. Our fans do in fact do the thumb and pinky but that is not at the Alma Mater which is holding a toast

ktguen 06-26-2014 05:18 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Like they said, the alma mater toast is cupped like you're holding a glass. We do use the thumb and pink hand symbol too but it's supposed to represent a spur.

Metalrush24 06-26-2014 05:38 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vthokies (Post 4191395)
Im trying to better understand the history of SC since I will be moving there soon.

Do people call it USC or SC?

USC and SC are both trade marked by Southern California. I get confused often when people are talking football and say USC. I've heard USC-e and USC-jr. I think just saying South Carolina will be best?..

When singing the alma mater (i think), everyone puts up their thumb and pinky like "surfs up". What does that stand for/meaning behind it? Columbia isn't at the beach so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you in advanced!

http://myreactiongifs.com/gifs/keyandpeeleno.gif

Take-a-Knee 06-26-2014 05:45 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
What is a hokie ?

gamecock88 06-26-2014 05:48 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee (Post 4191437)
What is a hokie ?



:thumbsup::lol:

Thenardier 06-26-2014 06:10 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
What drives me nuts is "Carolina". In 49 states that refers to UNC, but in SC it's USC and they get angry when you refer to UNC as Carolina.

markp_vip 06-26-2014 06:22 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4191465)
What drives me nuts is "Carolina". In 49 states that refers to UNC, but in SC it's USC and they get angry when you refer to UNC as Carolina.

If you love the tarholes so much feel free to spend your time on their message board.

Take-a-Knee 06-26-2014 06:22 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
We carry the name of this state , kinda like Alabama carries the name of their state

markp_vip 06-26-2014 06:22 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee (Post 4191437)
What is a hokie ?

nm

The Yancey 06-26-2014 06:28 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
tater

Thenardier 06-26-2014 06:29 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee (Post 4191477)
We carry the name of this state , kinda like Alabama carries the name of their state

Well, so does UNC and they've been around longer.

Take-a-Knee 06-26-2014 06:35 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Sorry , I don't recognize UNC , I'm From the 2%

Acockolypse Now 06-26-2014 07:05 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4191484)
Well, so does UNC and they've been around longer.

By what? 5 years?

We were a state first. We carved off the undesirables and the pig-farmers have been sore about it ever since.

Metalrush24 06-26-2014 07:05 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4191465)
What drives me nuts is "Carolina". In 49 states that refers to UNC, but in SC it's USC and they get angry when you refer to UNC as Carolina.

We are South Carolina. When have we cared what the other 49 was doing?

TheMule 06-26-2014 08:03 PM

Re: Can someone fill me in on these things
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4191465)
What drives me nuts is "Carolina". In 49 states that refers to UNC, but in SC it's USC and they get angry when you refer to UNC as Carolina.


Where do you live?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.