CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   "Colors: Bangin' in South Carolina" (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207629)

robgusc76 06-28-2014 09:37 PM

"Colors: Bangin' in South Carolina"

Im sure a lot of people remember how bad things got around Columbia 10 or so years ago. I remember being in high school and hearing a lot of stories about gang violence, even some guys being executed through gang violence.

This movie is about all that stuff that went on in Columbia back around 2003. The director is a former gang leader who live in the Summit. Looking forward to seeing this somehow.

Anyone remember what I/He is talking about?

Movie Trailer:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

boowilliam4 06-28-2014 09:45 PM

Re: "Colors: Bangin' in South Carolina"

I'm not familiar with this story, thanks for the heads up though because it looks interesting.

ccured 06-28-2014 09:46 PM

haven't watched this but i vividly remember the big shoot out in the gas station parking lot.

robgusc76 06-28-2014 09:47 PM

Anddd this was supposed to be in the Water Cooler. My bad.

StormOfTalons 06-29-2014 12:30 AM

Should be interesting...thanks for the head's up on it...I'll have to try and track down a way to watch it.

Brings back to mind those in power who denied for so long that this type of stuff even existed in South Carolina.

roosterdude21 06-29-2014 01:18 AM

Whaaaaat? Many police chiefs before during and after 2003 deny any such claims of gangs in Columbia. Just not sure I suppose

BlueHerons 06-29-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roosterdude21 (Post 4192894)
Whaaaaat? Many police chiefs before during and after 2003 deny any such claims of gangs in Columbia. Just not sure I suppose

My senior year at Carolina I did a ten month intership with the South Carolina Department of Corrections.

Anyone incarcerated under the age of 25 was a gang member. And this was 1991.

robgusc76 06-29-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

THey were in denial.

MEL 06-29-2014 05:45 PM

I watched that Gangland episode on the History Channel. Looks to me like gangs were alive and well during that time the police deny anything was going on.

WeStillOwnUSC 06-29-2014 06:04 PM

If people would quit making movies about this crap it might stop.

How can somebody like this guy come out and say "I was a gang leader" basically admitting he committed assaults, robberies, dealt drugs, possibly even murdered and not be arrested?

ccured 06-29-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeStillOwnUSC (Post 4193220)

How can somebody like this guy come out and say "I was a gang leader" basically admitting he committed assaults, robberies, dealt drugs, possibly even murdered and not be arrested?

Evidence to specific crimes? Statute of limitations? There are many reasons not to be arrested. Also judging by that clip how do you know he wasn't arrested. I would like to know more. Is he trying to make a difference and prevent future gang bangers? That clip doesn't seem to indicate that. Seems like it is just a retrospective documentary. I have no use for that if that is the case

robgusc76 06-29-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeStillOwnUSC (Post 4193220)

Denial doesn't solve this problem.

And gang leaders are often times just a voice of direction. And like it was said above me, he didn't admit anything, and there is most likely no evidence of crimes he may or may not have committed.

JUst give the guy credit for surviving this lifestyle and doing his best to turn it around.

Cockhornleghorn 06-30-2014 12:46 AM

Quote:

There are gangs everywhere, even in small towns.

Flameout12 06-30-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4192783)
Anyone remember what I/He is talking about?

I lived in NE Cola at that time and definitely remember hearing about it....and seems a lot of the gang activity was right there in the Summit. One reason they clamped down on teen activity at Village at Sandhills...there were things happening.
Since I'm a lot older and didn't have kids in schools, I was disconnected to all of it...but still amazed me that it all happened. The disparity in cultures within a small area is an eye opener.

This also is a driver of people doing home schooling and paying lots of $$ to private school their kids.