CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Trophy with Texas A&M (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207673)

sandstorm2001 06-30-2014 11:43 PM

New Trophy with Texas A&M

http://www.thestate.com/2014/06/30/3...%2F99%2F132%2F

Reading this just makes me think of how the rivalry with Clemson deserves something better than the Hardees Trophy. So lame.

On topic though, pretty cool idea for a trophy if you ask me. Seems to be more important as far as Texas history goes, though it's cool that the dude went to USC and that his family home is in SC and the history that goes along with that house.

uscgamecocks88 06-30-2014 11:58 PM

Re: New Trophy with Texas A&M

Interesting. I like it- very unique... unlike the Hardees Trophy. It deserves something better, especially since both teams have had recent success

MWard 07-01-2014 12:06 AM

I think they put in a good bit of effort to try and find a connection that the masses would think was interesting. It's better than just getting a corporate trophy and saying it's the Wendy's Cup.

Storm Of Spurs 07-01-2014 12:24 AM

Both schools need to tell Hardee's where they can shove it and come up with something way better.

trapper82 07-01-2014 12:33 AM

Really cool.

The Hardees trophy is sad.

sandstorm2001 07-01-2014 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormOfTalons (Post 4194076)
Both schools need to tell Hardee's where they can shove it and come up with something way better.

What kind of money do we even get for having Hardees name on the trophy? My understanding is that some Clemson alum was one of the higher ups at Hardees and got them to sponsor the trophy. I've never heard of anything about them actually giving us money or having a contract or anything though.

If all we need is $$$ to get a new one they should just put a collection bucket at the entrance to the Brice one Saturday. I'm sure if people knew what it was for we'd have enough cash before kick off to have somebody make a real bad ass trophy, and donate the leftovers to Wounded Warriors or something.

Hoodrow Wilson 07-01-2014 12:59 AM

Hardee's needs to bring back their fried chicken.

Hoodrow Wilson 07-01-2014 01:02 AM

Also, The State article was historically inaccurate and awkwardly copied & pasted from previous articles.

Cock Kool-Aid 07-01-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormOfTalons (Post 4194076)

I think this is the best way to get it done. I'm going to stop at my local Hardee's today and give them a piece of my mind.

FlorenceCock 07-01-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoodrow Wilson (Post 4194088)

Damn it now I am wanting some Hardee's fried chicken. That stuff was good.
Quote:

What kind of money do we even get for having Hardees name on the trophy? My understanding is that some Clemson alum was one of the higher ups at Hardees and got them to sponsor the trophy. I've never heard of anything about them actually giving us money or having a contract or anything though.

If all we need is $$$ to get a new one they should just put a collection bucket at the entrance to the Brice one Saturday. I'm sure if people knew what it was for we'd have enough cash before kick off to have somebody make a real bad ass trophy, and donate the leftovers to Wounded Warriors or something.
They said on 1400 one day that the old man who founded Hardee's had a son or nephew each to play at USC and Clemson or something along those lines. It has been several years since they talked about it.

Tony 07-01-2014 08:58 AM

Now if Hardee's brought back the "Deluxe", hmmm.

Rooster'srule 07-01-2014 10:02 AM

Since we are on the topic..http://blutarsky.wordpress.com/2014/...sta-tradition/ thought you guys might want to chew this up and spit it out!

Rooster'srule 07-01-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 (Post 4194064)
Interesting. I like it- very unique... unlike the Hardees Trophy. It deserves something better, especially since both teams have had recent success

I forget who started the idea of the Palmetto Tree and Moon for a replacement of the Hardees Trophy...I thought he said he was going to make a sticky thread for it....he put it on facebook etc. Time to bring it back up and promote it again :football:

Big-Cock 07-01-2014 10:13 AM

I don't really like it. Politics need to stay out of football. There is no history between USC and A&M.

davidmc467 07-01-2014 10:14 AM

Pretty cool idea. Texas Revolution history is fascinating. All those Texas heroes were from all over the place.

Both James Bonham and William Travis were from South Carolina. Bonham was probably the better connection to use for a trophy since he did actually attend USC.

Bonham's brother was the Governor of SC and a General for the CSA, if I remember correctly.

A. Pilgrim 07-01-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmc467 (Post 4194165)
Pretty cool idea. Texas Revolution history is fascinating. All those Texas heroes were from all over the place.

Both James Bonham and William Travis were from South Carolina. Bonham was probably the better connection to use for a trophy since he did actually attend USC.

Bonham's brother was the Governor of SC and a General for the CSA, if I remember correctly.

Bonham was considered too controversial due to his activities to free slaves and leaving his wife.

yeah, the whole "freeing slaves" as too controversial is an embarrassing point.

trapper82 07-01-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4194170)
Bonham was considered too controversial due to his activities to free slaves and leaving his wife.

yeah, the whole "freeing slaves" as too controversial is an embarrassing point.

I am fairly certain you badly misread that. It was William Travis who was identified as having the baggage, and it wasn't "freeing slaves" it was capturing runaway slaves and leaving his wife that made people shy away.

So...

The Yancey 07-01-2014 10:44 AM

The trophy will be related to the Led Zep drummer? Cool!

Acockolypse Now 07-01-2014 10:49 AM

No, it's his son Jason

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/dru...n_bonham-1.jpg

ColaCock 07-01-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoodrow Wilson (Post 4194088)

They still have it.

Not to sound stereotypical, although the move by Hardees surely seems that way, but you can find it on the menu of Hardees located in more rural areas of SC where the demographics lean to one majority.

My hometown still serves it.

Odd enough, it isn't listed on Hardees website anywhere.