CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Shows on TV by network & Cable (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207705)

uscgmck 07-02-2014 03:02 PM

Best Shows on TV by network & Cable

Cable
Major Crimes
Rizzoli & Isles
Longmire
Murder in the First
Sons
Justified
Fargo*

Premium Channels
Boardwalk
Homeland
Game of Thrones
True D*

Broadcast
Crossbones NBC Limited series
The Middle ABC
Modern Family ABC
Mike & Molly CBS
Big Bang CBS
Person of Interest CBS
Blue Bloods CBS
NCIS CBS

Roosterboy 07-02-2014 03:12 PM

Re: Best Shows on TV by network & Cable

Really hard to say since a lot of my favorite shows went through their season finales.
Breaking Bad, Burn Notice, Psych, Eureka, to name a few. The Following fell off in the second season.

As far as network
Walking Dead (AMC)
Supernatural (CW)
Justified (FX)
Fargo (FX)
White Collar (USA)
Bitten (SyFy)
Haven (SyFy)
Warehouse 13 (SyFy)
Bates Motel (A&E)
South Park (Comedy Central)
Broadcast
Big Bang (CBS)
Modern Family (ABC)
Family Guy (FOX)

I'm waiting to see how The Strain turns out, and I'm diggin Tyrant, but it is just two episodes in.
Also excited for Gotham (FOX).

markymark550 07-02-2014 03:15 PM

Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Criminal Minds
Hannibal
Boardwalk Empire
South Park

I do enjoy some of the competition based reality shows, but I won't argue they're part of the best shows on TV.

johnmcclane 07-02-2014 03:56 PM

Sherlock

Cock Kool-Aid 07-02-2014 03:57 PM

I guess these are supposed to only be shows that are currently running?

When it comes to actually being a die hard follower of a show, I'm mostly into comedies.

Comedies:
Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX)
Workaholics (CC)
South Park (CC)
Silicon Valley (HBO)
Portlandia (IFC?/Netflix)
Louie (FX)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (I think it's done for good though?) (HBO)

Other:
The Returned (french show, subtitles, but so worth it IMO) (Netflix)
Fargo (FX)
Mad Men (AMC)
Game of Thrones (HBO)

If we can include Netflix originals, I've also been watching Season 1 of House of Cards which is decent/probably worth watching IMO.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

USCMM 07-02-2014 04:17 PM

Cable
Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Mad Men (AMC)
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (FX)
Justified (FX)
Fargo (FX)
Doctor Who (BBC)
Key & Peele (Comedy Central)

Premium
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Rectify (Sundance)
Californication (Showtime)
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Portlandia (IFC)
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
House of Cards (Netflix)

Broadcast
Community (NBC)

I don't really watch Broadcast TV. I find the majority of it to be boring. Community was the only exception.

Roosterboy 07-02-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4195137)
Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Criminal Minds
Hannibal
Boardwalk Empire
South Park

I do enjoy some of the competition based reality shows, but I won't argue they're part of the best shows on TV.

I will admit I do watch Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef and Top Chef...like you said, not the best shows on TV, but far better than any Housewife, BooBoo, Duck, Kardashian crap (I say, at least it is people with a hoaned skill and craft going against people with a similar honed craft).

CarolinaBand 07-02-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCMM (Post 4195178)
Cable
Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Mad Men (AMC)
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (FX)
Justified (FX)
Fargo (FX)
Doctor Who (BBC)
Key & Peele (Comedy Central)

Premium
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Rectify (Sundance)
Californication (Showtime)
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Portlandia (IFC)
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
House of Cards (Netflix)

Broadcast
Community (Yahoo)

I don't really watch Broadcast TV. I find the majority of it to be boring. Community was the only exception.

I like your list a lot, just fixed the Community one for you.

#sixseasonsandamovie

A. Pilgrim 07-02-2014 04:34 PM

No True Detective yet?

USCBatgirl21 07-02-2014 04:39 PM

HANNIBAL

gamecockphan 07-02-2014 04:50 PM

Cable
Mad Men
Fargo
The Bridge
The Americans
Sunny
Workaholics
Maron

Premium
Game of Thrones
True Detective
Veep
Curb
Boardwalk Empire
Orange is the New Black
House of Cards

Broadcast
Hannibal
New Girl
Modern Family (although the new stuff is starting to decrease in quality. The old stuff is still hilarious)

Transmaniacon 07-02-2014 08:54 PM

I really liked some of the recent comedies on HBO, like Family Tree and Silicon Valley. Family Tree didn't get picked up for another season, unfortunately.

I also like Amy Schumer's show on Comedy Central. Most of the others I like have already been mentioned, except maybe Austin City Limits. Great show if you like live music.

2000grad 07-02-2014 09:07 PM

Agents of SHIELD
Halt and Catch Fire
The Walking Dead
Turn (can't do the little backwards letter)
The Goldbergs
Kitchen Nightmares (has something to do with my years in restaurant mgt)

Do re-runs count? Friday Night Lights

YouCanNeverTell 07-02-2014 09:50 PM

Walking Dead
Sons
Those are really the only current shows I watch. I'll run through Lost, X-Files and Breaking Bad every now and then.

A. Pilgrim 07-02-2014 09:50 PM

I want to like Halt and Catch Fire, but man are they making it difficult. Through the first few episodes, they are trotting out some pretty tired character cliches. The female characters are typical, predictable, and uninteresting. I'm having difficulty rooting for Joe thus far.

2000grad 07-02-2014 10:37 PM

HACF is a good period piece

Cockypantherfan 07-02-2014 11:06 PM

60 Minutes

johnnyb 07-03-2014 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4195196)
No True Detective yet?

I liked it, had a few people tell me it was too slow. Interested in how they do the next season with an entirely new cast.

A. Pilgrim 07-03-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4195449)
HACF is a good period piece

Yeah, I realize that- but I guess what I mean was, while 1983 was not a time that is thought of as a high water mark in women's place in the workforce, but I mean seriously...look at the two main female characters, Cameron and Donna. Cameron's character is introduced as a whiz-kid who, immediately after being introduced to the audience, proceeds to screw the main character, Joe. And Donna...just your typical 'nagging' housewife who is most predictably going to end up cheating on her husband with her former high school fling who is *gasp* now her boss...

I'm not trying to argue- I really do think the show has promise, and I will continue to watch it, but their approach to their female leads has been...disappointing.

Mad Men is not just a good period piece...it is an incredible one. It is also set in an even less female-friendly period when it comes to the workforce, and look what they did with their lead female characters from the start; Peggy and Joan. They threw off the stereotypes of that very same period, and the show is better for it. I suppose that I just expected AMC to recognize what, exactly, has made Mad Men great, and extend some of the same archetypes to other shows, if they truly are trying to fill the inevitable void that the series finale of Mad Men is going to leave.

A. Pilgrim 07-03-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb (Post 4195572)
I liked it, had a few people tell me it was too slow. Interested in how they do the next season with an entirely new cast.

!!!

Quote:

Could we see more Matthew McConaughey in future seasons of True Detective? It seems unlikely, but now we know it’s not impossible. When McConaughey and Woody Harrelson first signed on with HBO, it was the lack of commitment to the anthologized show that was appealing. McConaughey said:

That was always how I saw it. One season, eight episodes, a finite beginning, middle and end, goodbye, look forward to watching it. If HBO had wanted an option on me for a Season 2 or 3, I wouldn’t have done it. I wouldn’t have walked into something where they could say, “We’ve got you for the next three years.”

But after all the accolades from Season 1, McConaughey’s attitude is a little different:

I liked True Detective, the whole series and the experience of making it, so much that I’d be open to doing another one now. At the time, I was looking at six months and not beyond that. I don’t know of a feature film I’d sign for where I’m going to say, “If this works, you’ve got me whenever you want me for the next three years.”

So though it’s been confirmed that Rust Cohle won’t return for True Detective Season 2, there is a very tiny possibility that McConaughey could. This wouldn’t be an unprecedented move. Ryan Murphy’s American Horror Story, the FX drama that started this whole anthology trend, uses a repertory theatre approach to their casting. Like True Detective will be, each season of American Horror Story features all new locations and new characters, but often recycles the same actors. One of the greatest joys of Murphy’s show is discovering the new depths of crazy Jessica Lange will mine each year. We may have thought that Rustin Cohle was the most eccentric McConaughey character we would ever get, but what if he can go even deeper? And what if McConaughey does end up being a major player in the next season? That would mean we’ve been chasing after false leads when the answer was right in front of us the whole time. Sound familiar?
http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...ctive-season-2