CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   This was sad news today (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207753)

vthokies 07-05-2014 12:28 AM

This was sad news today

She was a huge gamecock football fan (loved Connor Shaw always wore his jersey) and has a younger sister. My girlfriend is in Phi Mu and knew her, I had met her a few times. RIP...

SUMTER, SC - Authorities say a Sumter woman has died in an early morning boating wreck on Lake Marion.

Clarendon County Deputy Coroner Charles Jackson told The Sumter Item that Hailey Bordeaux was on an idling boat with her boyfriend and another couple around 12:30 a.m. Friday when it was hit by another boat speeding through the area.

Jackson says Bordeaux, age 21, died a short time later at the hospital. Bordeaux was a teacher at USC Children's Center in Columbia, according to her Facebook page.

She had studied Early Childhood Education at University of South Carolina, where she was a Phi Mu. She was a graduate of Sumter High School.

There was no word of injuries for the other people involved in the crash.

The Department of Natural Resources is investigating the wreck. No charges have been filed.

b381l 07-05-2014 01:33 AM

Re: This was sad news today

Quote:

Originally Posted by vthokies (Post 4196479)
She was a huge gamecock football fan (loved Connor Shaw always wore his jersey) and has a younger sister. My girlfriend is in Phi Mu and knew her, I had met her a few times. RIP...

SUMTER, SC - Authorities say a Sumter woman has died in an early morning boating wreck on Lake Marion.

Clarendon County Deputy Coroner Charles Jackson told The Sumter Item that Hailey Bordeaux was on an idling boat with her boyfriend and another couple around 12:30 a.m. Friday when it was hit by another boat speeding through the area.

Jackson says Bordeaux, age 21, died a short time later at the hospital. Bordeaux was a teacher at USC Children's Center in Columbia, according to her Facebook page.

She had studied Early Childhood Education at University of South Carolina, where she was a Phi Mu. She was a graduate of Sumter High School.

There was no word of injuries for the other people involved in the crash.

The Department of Natural Resources is investigating the wreck. No charges have been filed.

This is such a tragic accident. Prayers sent to her family.

JerseyBird 07-05-2014 01:48 AM

Very sorry to hear

markymark550 07-05-2014 09:57 AM

Prayers to her family. Very sad.

TheUniversityofSC 07-05-2014 10:01 AM

I bet drinking was involved.

SC Sandlapper 07-05-2014 11:08 AM

I was on Lake Wylie yesterday and if Marion was anything like Wylie, it was insane. Too many inexperienced boaters with more HP than IQ. RIP Hailey.

cocksfan4ever 07-05-2014 11:22 AM

I live at lake Marion and refuse to be out there on big holiday weekends. It's just crazy out there.

uscgmck 07-05-2014 11:45 AM

Prayers sent

COCKYWOOD 07-05-2014 12:16 PM

Prayers sent.

M.C. 07-05-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUniversityofSC (Post 4196555)
I bet drinking was involved.

Yea because drinking has to be the cause of everything ?

A. Pilgrim 07-05-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4196604)
Yea because drinking has to be the cause of everything ?

Everything? No. But alcohol is the common denominator in an overwhelming number of boating accidents.

Only a fool speaks in universals.

Speaking of which- brb gonna go read one of your anti-marijuana posts, for consistency and all

cocksfan4ever 07-05-2014 01:08 PM

Pretty sure I read that DNR said alcohol was present, but not a factor in the accident.

ccured 07-05-2014 02:31 PM

Why is it social acceptable to drink and drive a boat? With the fatigue that comes from captaining a boat any alcohol can present a problem. .08 on a boat is way worse than .08 in a car.

But back to topic hate to hear that. Prayers. Rip

catdaddy66 07-05-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper (Post 4196578)
I was on Lake Wylie yesterday and if Marion was anything like Wylie, it was insane. Too many inexperienced boaters with more HP than IQ. RIP Hailey.

This is true. I was on Lake Wateree yesterday and saw some idiots. Lived on Lake Marion as a teenager and have seen these accidents before. Carelessness is usually the culprit...

Thoughts are with all involved.

garnet_black215 07-05-2014 10:58 PM

Such a sad story. Too young. Prayers to her family and friends.

ColaCock 07-06-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4196656)
Why is it social acceptable to drink and drive a boat? With the fatigue that comes from captaining a boat any alcohol can present a problem. .08 on a boat is way worse than .08 in a car.

But back to topic hate to hear that. Prayers. Rip

Because there aren't lanes to stay in, signs and lights to abide, and it is just a different world altogether on water than land. The only other obstacles you can hit on water are other boats and land/debris...reduces the chance of an accident.

You also aren't always "driving" a boat whenever you are in it...like you would be in a car. Sometimes you are sitting still, relaxing, fishing, taking photos, diving/swmming, etc.

Yeah, the waters do get busy on holidays...but it's not like the Daytona 500 out there. Again, I am usually on larger bodies of water (don't do lakes really) but I rarely see issues with crowding. The stupid boaters are usually those on jet skis.

This accident occurred at 12:30am I see. I am sure one of the boats wasn't operating their lighting correctly...it is near impossible to see without that.

ccured 07-06-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4197009)
Because there aren't lanes to stay in, signs and lights to abide, and it is just a different world altogether on water than land. The only other obstacles you can hit on water are other boats and land/debris...reduces the chance of an accident.

You also aren't always "driving" a boat whenever you are in it...like you would be in a car. Sometimes you are sitting still, relaxing, fishing, taking photos, diving/swmming, etc.

Yeah, the waters do get busy on holidays...but it's not like the Daytona 500 out there. Again, I am usually on larger bodies of water (don't do lakes really) but I rarely see issues with crowding. The stupid boaters are usually those on jet skis.

This accident occurred at 12:30am I see. I am sure one of the boats wasn't operating their lighting correctly...it is near impossible to see without that.

I am sure lights weren't used correctly. Also I agree jet skis and those little sea doo personal jet boat things are the biggest asshole on the water. I was just asking. I drink on boat but not if I'm operating it

ColaCock 07-06-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4197039)
I am sure lights weren't used correctly. Also I agree jet skis and those little sea doo personal jet boat things are the biggest asshole on the water. I was just asking. I drink on boat but not if I'm operating it

Yeah I am not condoning that the captain be the shittiest person on the boat when it comes to drinking...but a few beers or light buzz isn't going to affect the ability to maneuver a boat in open water. You just have to be responsible. A grown man with a buzz is going to make different decisions than a 21 year old with a buzz...know what I mean?

ccured 07-06-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4197044)
Yeah I am not condoning that the captain be the shittiest person on the boat when it comes to drinking...but a few beers or light buzz isn't going to affect the ability to maneuver a boat in open water. You just have to be responsible. A grown man with a buzz is going to make different decisions than a 21 year old with a buzz...know what I mean?

definitely.

ktguen 07-07-2014 08:08 AM

We had many mutual friends. No one had an ill word to speak about her. Such a tragedy.