CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Andre as Hendrix... trailer... not so sure (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207755)

spareparts 07-05-2014 09:21 AM

Andre as Hendrix... trailer... not so sure

So the trailer for the upcoming Hendrix biography is out. That's Andre from Outkast as Hendrix.

I guess it looks like a good movie. I also think Andre appears to do a great job as Hendrix.

I'll reserve total judgment until it actually comes out and maybe we'll go see it. But I get a strange feeling after watching this trailer.

The feeling is, I'd rather listen to Hendrix than watch that movie and I can tell already. Hendrix is the one musician who is better than any other piece of art that his music is used in. When the song "If 6 was 9" came on "point break" I wanted to turn "point break" off and go listen to "if 6 was 9". And I can tell already that Hendrix' music is better than this movie, and I'd rather spend my time listening to his music than watching this movie.

It's just a weird thing about Hendrix. To me it doesn't happen with any other musician. But Jimi Hendrix was so damn good that any attempt to talk about him, portray him, or use his music somehow is nowhere near as good as the real thing in my opinion.

That trailer doesn't interest me in the movie, it interests me in going and listening to Jimi Hendrix.

JerseyBird 07-05-2014 09:37 AM

Re: Andre as Hendrix... trailer... not so sure

So go listen to Hendrix, then go see the movie, then go listen to MOAR Hendrix :thumbsup:

ccured 07-05-2014 09:46 AM

i'm curious but I won't see it until it is on netflix or dvd or something. I also totally get what Spare is talking about there are a few artists and Jimi would be at the top of the list that being in used in the movie makes me want to go listen to the music. A lot of times though I really want notice it in the movie and then the next day I will have an unconscious craving to hear more

spareparts 07-05-2014 10:05 AM

I want to listen to Hendrix all the time, but that trailer makes me want to have a total Hendrix immersion

Also, extremely hot women in that movie

GamecockInHell 07-05-2014 10:49 AM

Looks pretty interesting. I've always been a Hendix fan but the only movie that I liked his music in was Easy Rider (excepting the Woodstock videos, of course)

crowcutta 07-05-2014 02:21 PM

in that respect the film not having the rights to jimi's music could be a blessing, assuming the film is good. my response when watching dre act has almost always been hes a great rapper, but this might be the role he was born to play if thats too cliche.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...-side-20140705

Gamecocks1137 07-05-2014 05:03 PM

Good, glad this is being done. The other movie made about his life was horrible.

GamecockSuperFan 07-05-2014 05:25 PM

not completely on board with it. One of Hendrix' girlfriends wasn't really approving of it either.

GH 07-05-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

will feature new recordings of Benjamin covering the Beatles, Muddy Waters and more, producers tell Rolling Stone. The film will not, however, include any songs written by Hendrix, the rights to which are controlled by the late guitarist's estate.
Hendrix at 70: Rolling Stone archives, photos, trivia and more
Last month, Experience Hendrix LLC, which oversees the Hendrix estate, issued a statement regarding the movie, which has been in production for four months. The company, which is run by Hendrix's sister Janie, said that it "has made it known many times in the past that no such film, were it to include original music or copyrights created by Jimi Hendrix, can be undertaken without its full participation."
Instead, the film – set in London in 1966 and 1967 – will include Benjamin's new versions of covers that Hendrix performed during those years, shortly before the release of his landmark debut, Are You Experienced. Audiences will see Benjamin singing "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (which Hendrix famously performed in a London club with members of the Beatles in the audience), "Wild Thing," "Hound Dog," Muddy Waters' "Mannish Boy" and Elmore James' "Bleeding Heart," plus two songs, "Future Trip" and "Driving South," that Hendrix played as a backup musician for Curtis Knight and the Squires.
so no Hendrix penned material

If I had the choice (and I think I do), I watch the James Brown biopic coming...though watching both is what I will probably do...it will be on a Sunday...I figure they will be good to see while catching some A/C and the Theater sound system should be pretty good.

yazoo 07-05-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4196706)

If I had the choice (and I think I do), I watch the James Brown biopic coming...though watching both is what I will probably do...it will be on a Sunday...I figure they will be good to see while catching some A/C and the Theater sound system should be pretty good.

Sounds like the film-maker could not meet the demands of the Hendrix estate. IMO, that should have resulted in terminating the effort.

I don't know much about the history of Hendrix. Possibly, the estate objected to some of the content (drugs, sex, race, etc.) and it wasn't a monetary issue. If that is the case, that makes it sadder. I would like to know more about him so I might rent this movie. He is kind of an enigma especially with the LSD he was taking in the 60s. That whole 60s acid scene is under reported by historians. I guess Ken Kesey's Electric Coolaid Acid Trip is about the only written account of that period . . . and that was historical fiction and about the west coast side of things.

Gamecocks1137 07-05-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazoo (Post 4196724)
Sounds like the film-maker could not meet the demands of the Hendrix estate. IMO, that should have resulted in terminating the effort.

I don't know much about the history of Hendrix. Possibly, the estate objected to some of the content (drugs, sex, race, etc.) and it wasn't a monetary issue. If that is the case, that makes it sadder. I would like to know more about him so I might rent this movie. He is kind of an enigma especially with the LSD he was taking in the 60s. That whole 60s acid scene is under reported by historians. I guess Ken Kesey's Electric Coolaid Acid Trip is about the only written account of that period . . . and that was historical fiction and about the west coast side of things.

Not sure why his estate would be against drug use, sexual content etc. Hendrix was known for his heavy use of LSD and Marijuana, and his apparent love of 3somes. The guy is a legend though, and he deserves to have his story told.

RGHoskins 07-05-2014 09:39 PM

Can't speak for the movie, but they couldn't have picked a better guy for the job.

GoldenSpur7 07-06-2014 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4196706)

It didn't stop Devo.

Just sayin ...

Flameout12 07-06-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4196779)
Can't speak for the movie, but they couldn't have picked a better guy for the job.

Yup...Andre is one talented guy....and the estate of JH missed a chance to be a part of something special.

JH died almost 45 years ago.....likely half of of the people going to this movie have none of his music.

So if they buy anything after seeing the movie, it's the sound track and none of Jimi's originals?

Was good to see some original Marshall stacks in the back line in the trailer. :thumbsup: