CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Greatest idea ever for college football fans (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207768)

cockymac 07-06-2014 06:08 PM

Greatest idea ever for college football fans

So I'm having college football withdrawal and an idea comes to me. What if the smaller schools (what used to be div 2 and 3) started their season in January? That way, we could have spring and fall football. It would be much more financially beneficial to the schools, as their games would now be televized all day long, instead of almost never. They would get more TV money, fans would get more football, and ESPN would get ratings. As a fan, I could start paying attention to Wofford, Presbyterian, and the other schools in the state. Yeah, they wouldn't get the payday from when they play the big schools, but the TV revenue (along with more butts in the seats and more product sold) would more than make up for it. More tailgating, less expensive ticket, and games for an extra 4 months. They could even do some Sunday games after February to spread out the TV ratings. I think its a great idea.

b381l 07-06-2014 06:13 PM

Re: Greatest idea ever for college football fans

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockymac (Post 4197006)
So I'm having college football withdrawal and an idea comes to me. What if the smaller schools (what used to be div 2 and 3) started their season in January? That way, we could have spring and fall football. It would be much more financially beneficial to the schools, as their games would now be televized all day long, instead of almost never. They would get more TV money, fans would get more football, and ESPN would get ratings. As a fan, I could start paying attention to Wofford, Presbyterian, and the other schools in the state. Yeah, they wouldn't get the payday from when they play the big schools, but the TV revenue (along with more butts in the seats and more product sold) would more than make up for it. More tailgating, less expensive ticket, and games for an extra 4 months. They could even do some Sunday games after February to spread out the TV ratings. I think its a great idea.

The last time I checked, those other schools play basketball during that time. Nobody would care about watching lower level football teams. Do you think their fans want to watch football outside in the middle of the winter.

cockymac 07-06-2014 06:43 PM

They could still play basketball. Most of the games are during the week. Plus, you could do something of a double header on Saturday for the schools to help attendance. Or, you could schedule basketball on Sunday.

The schools already play football during December. Starting in January will at least let you warm up a little more each game.

And yes, people would watch it. Its college football at a time of year when we don't have any. It wouldnt get the same ratings as div 1, but it would be watched more than it is now.

ReadR00ster 07-06-2014 06:51 PM

Most people would rather watch reruns of big time college football than watch small time football.

CockyCody 07-06-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4197022)
Most people would rather watch reruns of big time college football than watch small time football.

I just finished watching a replay of us beating down Clemsux again from last year. Damn, we are going to miss Connor something awful!!!

:kill::puke::wink:

SanAntonioCock 07-06-2014 07:31 PM

USFL tried that in the mid 80's.

JerseyBird 07-06-2014 07:36 PM

Don't forget the XFL :cocky:

Oh wait, you did already....

trapper82 07-06-2014 08:08 PM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. It is the limited season that helps make football great.

usc1 07-06-2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4197043)
Absence makes the heart grow fonder. It is the limited season that helps make football great.

^This. Wouldn't be as special if it were all year long.

Stay patient my friend. It'll be here next month.

Gyle41386 07-06-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4197022)

Agreed. And they would also rather watch live big time college basketball, professional basketball, etc. etc., all of which would be on television during that season.

AtlGamecock3307 07-07-2014 03:51 AM

I'd rather the nfl start something comprable to the d league or minor leause baseball that played in the fall. I was feinding so bad this weekend I watched most of a cfl game that wasn't even close... With all the talent that goes undrafted or rides the scout team I think there would b a market for it. And the "stars" of the league could work themselves up to the big clubs

thekob 07-07-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlGamecock3307 (Post 4197177)
I'd rather the nfl start something comprable to the d league or minor leause baseball that played in the fall. I was feinding so bad this weekend I watched most of a cfl game that wasn't even close... With all the talent that goes undrafted or rides the scout team I think there would b a market for it. And the "stars" of the league could work themselves up to the big clubs

This would be a good idea. They'd get plenty of CFB fans watching just to see guys from their teams play that didn't quite make it in the NFL. The only issue is infrastructure.

I wonder why minor league FB hasn't really been pursued....I guess because they just don't have to?

usc1 07-07-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekob (Post 4197211)
This would be a good idea. They'd get plenty of CFB fans watching just to see guys from their teams play that didn't quite make it in the NFL. The only issue is infrastructure.

I wonder why minor league FB hasn't really been pursued....I guess because they just don't have to?

Right. The NFL doesn't have to shell out any money for a minor league because the NCAA does that for them.

hank scorpio 07-07-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyCody (Post 4197033)
I just finished watching a replay of us beating down Clemsux again from last year. Damn, we are going to miss Connor something awful!!!

:kill::puke::wink:

Now go watch the replay from two years ago's beat down of clemson and you'll feel better.