CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Proving Ground (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2016 - Collin Hill (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207794)

Barry_gamecock 07-08-2014 12:59 AM

2016 - Collin Hill

http://preps.goupstate.com/news/arti...enty-to-prove/

"Collin Hill hasnít thrown a game-winning touchdown pass.

In fact, the Dorman rising junior quarterback has yet to make a varsity start.

That hasnít had much of an effect on college coaches, though.

Hillís 6-foot-5, 210-pound frame, coupled with his strong showing during the summer, has several Division I schools more than interested. Heís already set up to visit camps at South Carolina, Georgia and Stanford. He said the attention has been nice, but thereís plenty to prove before getting excited."

This guy was in my youth group in Spartanburg. Comes from a great family, is as solid a person as you could hope for and has NFL type potential. He is a bit of a late bloomer. He wasn't 6'5" in 9th grade. I was in his ear about the Gamecocks when he was in 7th grade. Hopefully he listened.

Barry_gamecock 07-08-2014 01:02 AM

Re: -2016-Collin Hill

Oh, and his family are big Michigan fans. Hopefully they don't offer. They've had their fair share of pro size/arm strength quarterbacks.

b381l 07-08-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock (Post 4197647)
http://preps.goupstate.com/news/arti...enty-to-prove/

"Collin Hill hasnít thrown a game-winning touchdown pass.

In fact, the Dorman rising junior quarterback has yet to make a varsity start.

That hasnít had much of an effect on college coaches, though.

Hillís 6-foot-5, 210-pound frame, coupled with his strong showing during the summer, has several Division I schools more than interested. Heís already set up to visit camps at South Carolina, Georgia and Stanford. He said the attention has been nice, but thereís plenty to prove before getting excited."

This guy was in my youth group in Spartanburg. Comes from a great family, is as solid a person as you could hope for and has NFL type potential. He is a bit of a late bloomer. He wasn't 6'5" in 9th grade. I was in his ear about the Gamecocks when he was in 7th grade. Hopefully he listened.

I appreciate your posts....but I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that he has NFL type potential if he hasn't started a high school game yet.

usc1 07-08-2014 01:17 AM

His sister went to USC with me.

Storm Of Spurs 07-08-2014 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4197651)
I appreciate your posts....but I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that he has NFL type potential if he hasn't started a high school game yet.

Maybe he has a crystal ball.

b381l 07-08-2014 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormOfTalons (Post 4197659)
Maybe he has a crystal ball.

He certainly has the size but that's only the starting point.....I wish him luck and hope he does well.

Barry_gamecock 07-08-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4197651)

When I say potential I mean he has the size and the arm strength. Of course lots of other intangibles play into being a great quarterback, but most guys have to have the size and the arm at least (there are some exceptions). In terms of attitude I assure you his is as good as it gets. We will see how he does this year.

Roosterboy 07-08-2014 03:44 PM

Re: 2016 - Collin Hill

Guy has the size, but I want to see how he does against varsity competition before we start saying he is the can't miss guy of the class.

Barry_gamecock 09-20-2014 01:48 AM

Dorman are off to an undefeated start and they defeated the states #1 team tonight, Dutch Fork. Apparently we are now taking a look at Collin's teammate, Stanford commit J.J. Arcega-Whiteside.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...tch-Fork-48-37

sunbeam 09-20-2014 07:43 AM

Geez. You can't project yourself onto kids, but come on.

I may be a Carolina fan, but no way I dump Stanford to go to Carolina.

gamecock88 09-20-2014 11:57 AM

Hill looked pretty good last night. Especially on the long passes he had some great touch, to all the Wrs not just Arcega Whiteside. Hill stands tall in the pocket and isn't easily rattled. He took some big hits last night and stood in there without fear. JJ is awesome and I wish we would have recruited him harder early on. Don't see him switching from Stanford. The kid is gifted and even threw a Td. Davis jr nor any of the DF dbs had anything for him all night.

lfowens 09-20-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamecock88 (Post 4268462)
Hill looked pretty good last night. Especially on the long passes he had some great touch, to all the Wrs not just Arcega Whiteside. Hill stands tall in the pocket and isn't easily rattled. He took some big hits last night and stood in there without fear. JJ is awesome and I wish we would have recruited him harder early on. Don't see him switching from Stanford. The kid is gifted and even threw a Td. Davis jr nor any of the DF dbs had anything for him all night.

We better get busy with these two. The Quarterback can flat out throw the ball, long and short. He started on one of the best high school basketball teams in the state last year as a sophomore. I have seen him play twice including last night. He is D-1 no doubt.

The one we really have drug our feet on is Arcega-Whiteside. Wow what a great possession receiver. He is tall, long arms, big hands, jumps high (started on the varsity basketball team since he was a Freshman), and he has very good break-away speed. Very Athletic - he threw a touchdown pass last night on an end sweep. I don't understand why we have not been on him earlier and harder. One of the better high school receivers I have seen in the past 20 years. I think if we put a press on him, we have a chance. His mother (who played professional basketball overseas) is the girls basketball coach at Dorman - California is a long way from SC.

gamecock88 09-20-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfowens (Post 4268477)
We better get busy with these two. The Quarterback can flat out throw the ball, long and short. He started on one of the best high school basketball teams in the state last year as a sophomore. I have seen him play twice including last night. He is D-1 no doubt.

The one we really have drug our feet on is Arcega-Whiteside. Wow what a great possession receiver. He is tall, long arms, big hands, jumps high (started on the varsity basketball team since he was a Freshman), and he has very good break-away speed. Very Athletic - he threw a touchdown pass last night on an end sweep. I don't understand why we have not been on him earlier and harder. One of the better high school receivers I have seen in the past 20 years. I think if we put a press on him, we have a chance. His mother (who played professional basketball overseas) is the girls basketball coach at Dorman - California is a long way from SC.

Agreed. I think both instate schools missed on Arcega Whiteside. He's gotten better each year and in all three games this season has shown that he's head and shoulders above high school talent. Hope we can turn him but that's a tall task this late and with his commitment to Stanford. Hell, even the pa guy keeps mentioning Stanford. He can take over a game and like I figured, he'd draw more attention this year with a pure passer at QB. It's a shame Dorman didn't play Hill last year, if so, JJ would have tons more offers. Was common knowledge that the best QB in district 6 played Thursdays last year. Hill can improve but I agree he's already got the look and throws of a major college QB. Think UGA has shown early interest in him.

gamecock88 09-24-2014 09:46 PM

Hill visited UGA last week. Going to Arizona I think next. So cal and many others showing interest.

Gamecocks1137 09-24-2014 10:14 PM

Op the link is not working for me. Just shows a page with the number 1 on it.

Gamecocks1137 09-24-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunbeam (Post 4268258)
Geez. You can't project yourself onto kids, but come on.

I may be a Carolina fan, but no way I dump Stanford to go to Carolina.

That's you, but I would give my left arm to play QB for Steve Spurrier and my school. I was just never athletically gifted enough to try. (ok maybe left pinky, arm is a bit much.)

Barry_gamecock 09-25-2014 12:04 AM

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...ches-Bulldogs-

Says he's showing interest in the Gamecocks. I like hearing that.

pitchcock 09-25-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock (Post 4275337)
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...ches-Bulldogs-

Says he's showing interest in the Gamecocks. I like hearing that.

Per the link he didn't get his invite to the ECU game until the Wednesday after the game.

If we have legitimate interest in the guy that's unacceptable, someone dropped the ball bigtime. There are a lot of programs that go above and beyond the call of duty recruiting players, it makes us look lazy not getting him his invite in time...and it's definitely something that will be used against us.

Wonder if we invited him for the UGA game?

cockybreeyan 09-25-2014 12:38 PM

I don't know if we are gonna go after this kid strong, but I really don't like how our coaches have been handling in-state recruits recently. We have all but kissed away our ability to lock down the state.

Storm Of Spurs 09-25-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchcock (Post 4275448)
Per the link he didn't get his invite to the ECU game until the Wednesday after the game.

If we have legitimate interest in the guy that's unacceptable, someone dropped the ball bigtime.

So we're supposed to somehow control the mail now?