CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Are humans bigger, stronger, faster? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207873)

Biocockanics 07-10-2014 05:52 PM

Are humans bigger, stronger, faster?

Or are sports more selective based on preferred body types? This is very interesting considering it's based on research.

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_epste...onger#t-692202

ConwayGamecock 07-10-2014 06:40 PM

Re: Are humans bigger, stronger, faster?

Seems like I recalled that back in the WWII days the typical adult male averaged around 5-10 and 160 lbs.....I don't know for sure about bigger, faster, and stronger but I can almost guarantee fatter.....

HeadCockFan 07-10-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock (Post 4199295)
Seems like I recalled that back in the WWII days the typical adult male averaged around 5-10 and 160 lbs.....I don't know for sure about bigger, faster, and stronger but I can almost guarantee fatter.....

Bowling has no problems

yazoo 07-10-2014 07:22 PM

and dumber also ... Flouride in the water supply has calcified the pineal glands and decreased intelligence in most of the us population. "39 human studies linking moderately high fluoride exposures with reduced intelligence ...." See Link

paynemd2 07-10-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4199270)
Or are sports more selective based on preferred body types? This is very interesting considering it's based on research.

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_epste...onger#t-692202

Def very interesting. I agree that advances in technology and higher participation plus better training techniques and better diets are largely the reasons why athletes are breaking records in sports. But I do believe that athletes are getting bigger and stronger and more efficient also due to better training and diets tailored to their specific sports. I think athletes select their favorite sports at young ages and train their bodies and tailor their diets over their lives to achieve an ideal size for their particular sport. More kids are training their bodies for football and basketball in the US then say soccer. If soccer were the popular sport out best athletes wouldn't train their bodies for football they would do more cardio and train for soccer

palmettosc 07-10-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazoo (Post 4199316)
and dumber also ... Flouride in the water supply has calcified the pineal glands and decreased intelligence in most of the us population. "39 human studies linking moderately high fluoride exposures with reduced intelligence ...." See Link

We should definitely take a study from Fluoride Alert as a reputable source for all things related to fluoride. That toothpaste is out to get us.
If that was the case wouldn't clemson fans be smarter?

Biocockanics 07-10-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paynemd2 (Post 4199327)
Def very interesting. I agree that advances in technology and higher participation plus better training techniques and better diets are largely the reasons why athletes are breaking records in sports. But I do believe that athletes are getting bigger and stronger and more efficient also due to better training and diets tailored to their specific sports. I think athletes select their favorite sports at young ages and train their bodies and tailor their diets over their lives to achieve an ideal size for their particular sport. More kids are training their bodies for football and basketball in the US then say soccer. If soccer were the popular sport out best athletes wouldn't train their bodies for football they would do more cardio and train for soccer

Well yeah technology, information and everything else...

genetically speaking, since older guys always say "they didn't make em like that in my day"

jeffswanton54 07-10-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmettosc (Post 4199355)
We should definitely take a study from Fluoride Alert as a reputable source for all things related to fluoride. That toothpaste is out to get us.
If that was the case wouldn't clemson fans be smarter?

In a recent Harvard study it has been proved to be a neurotoxin, not only calcifying the body but also damaging the nervous system over time and lowering the IQ. I believe it wont be long before it is banned completely in the US. Some cities are already taking it out of their water, Dallas is one. So yess highly recommend switching to fluoride free toothpaste..Toms is great :)

Transmaniacon 07-10-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffswanton54 (Post 4199416)
In a recent Harvard study it has been proved to be a neurotoxin, not only calcifying the body but also damaging the nervous system over time and lowering the IQ. I believe it wont be long before it is banned completely in the US. Some cities are already taking it out of their water, Dallas is one. So yess highly recommend switching to fluoride free toothpaste..Toms is great :)

I believe Harvard just performed the meta-analysis on studies from China, unless we are thinking of different studies. I don't believe there have been many comparable studies in the US. I think you also have to approach studies like these with a fair amount of caution. As with nutritional scientific studies, it is easy to run with a conclusion that turns out to be wrong (or, at least, more complicated than we thought).

I have no interest in defending fluoride, just to be clear. However, studies in most of the "special sciences" rarely tell us as much as proponents claim.

And, this applies to the OP's cited article as much as the tangential fluoride debate.

HeadCockFan 07-10-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon (Post 4199451)
I believe Harvard just performed the meta-analysis on studies from China, unless we are thinking of different studies. I don't believe there have been many comparable studies in the US. I think you also have to approach studies like these with a fair amount of caution. As with nutritional scientific studies, it is easy to run with a conclusion that turns out to be wrong (or, at least, more complicated than we thought).

I have no interest in defending fluoride, just to be clear. However, studies in most of the "special sciences" rarely tell us as much as proponents claim.

And, this applies to the OP's cited article as much as the tangential fluoride debate.

Well stated. Interesting that the country with the least occurance of early onset neurodegenerative diseases (India) also does not use Fluoride. Of course someone dies every 3 seconds from traffic accidents there.

MjGCock 07-11-2014 11:40 AM

Straight from Wikipedia:

A meta analysis conducted on 27 epidemiological studies (most from China), concluded that exposure to "high levels" of fluoride in childhood was associated with a reduction in IQ. The authors note that this research is not applicable to the safety of artificial water fluoridation because the adverse effects on IQ was found with fluoride levels that were much higher than typically found in artificially fluoridated water.[14] However, they conclude that more research is required to assess the adverse effects on children’s neurodevelopment.[15][16] The meta analysis has been criticized for failing to account for confounding factors. For example, in some of the studies fluoride exposure came from the burning of high fluoride content coal, and used a control group from an area in which wood was used as fuel.[17] A more recent study followed individuals over 38 years to see if fluoride exposure affected IQ and they concluded there was no link between fluoride exposure and IQ, or fluoride as a neurotoxin