CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   SEC Network Poised For Blockbuster Launch (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=207896)

b381l 07-11-2014 02:39 PM

SEC Network Poised For Blockbuster Launch

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-foo...-launch-070914

Really good piece. I think these numbers seem overstated a bit for the first few years, but long term, this will he huge for us. What kind of improvements/debt service can we handle each year with an additional 15-20 million per year. Take a look.

:thumbsup:

"Several years ago the SEC made the decision not to launch its own network because league officials were concerned that a protracted hold-out from cable and satellite companies would anger SEC fans. That's why the league decided to partner with ESPN and not follow the Big Ten's lead and create its own network. All of that changed when Texas A&M decided to jump on board with the SEC. Missouri soon followed. By adding just two teams the SEC added 50% more cable and satellite subscribers to its regional footprint, making it clear that the league's new television strategy would include a network."

CockyLifer 07-11-2014 02:45 PM

Re: SEC Network Poised For Blockbuster Launch

Looking forward to attending the first new game to be televised on the network maybe i'll get a free t-shirt.:thumbsup:

CockyLifer 07-11-2014 02:45 PM

No more mule trough in the restroom :thumbs:

Gamecock John 07-11-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyLifer (Post 4199965)
No more mule trough in the restroom :thumbs:

I don't really mind the trough. Imagine how long the lunes will be with only half the amount being able to pee at one time.

trapper82 07-11-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4199959)
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-foo...-launch-070914

Really good piece. I think these numbers seem overstated a bit for the first few years, but long term, this will he huge for us. What kind of improvements/debt service can we handle each year with an additional 15-20 million per year. Take a look.

:thumbsup:

"Several years ago the SEC made the decision not to launch its own network because league officials were concerned that a protracted hold-out from cable and satellite companies would anger SEC fans. That's why the league decided to partner with ESPN and not follow the Big Ten's lead and create its own network. All of that changed when Texas A&M decided to jump on board with the SEC. Missouri soon followed. By adding just two teams the SEC added 50% more cable and satellite subscribers to its regional footprint, making it clear that the league's new television strategy would include a network."

There are some that just can't grasp how much money this is going to be (aka Skeeter) but think of it this way: we already make more than Cl3m5on from tv revenue and we're about to surpass the amount needed to build their indoor practice field, PER YEAR. Yes, per year.

Lalli25 07-11-2014 09:26 PM

Just need verizon Fios to provide it.

b381l 07-11-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4200298)
Just need verizon Fios to provide it.

You may out of luck. I'm not sure Directv is going to pick it up this year so I'm screwed.

b381l 07-11-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4200051)
There are some that just can't grasp how much money this is going to be (aka Skeeter) but think of it this way: we already make more than Cl3m5on from tv revenue and we're about to surpass the amount needed to build their indoor practice field, PER YEAR. Yes, per year.

and then throw new luxury boxes on top of that.....I love the smell of new money.....

Lalli25 07-12-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4200338)
You may out of luck. I'm not sure Directv is going to pick it up this year so I'm screwed.

I thought about moving to dish, since it's cheaper and would have it, but after seeing the reviews of dish, no way I'm doing that.

wumarshall82 07-12-2014 01:33 PM

Dish sucks.

Sucks that a lot of people won't get to watch some of the sec games.

The Gamecock Outlaw 07-14-2014 10:35 AM

Charter is dragging their feet with this. It's ridiculous but we don't have many options. Just Dish and U Verse pretty much and I can't even get U Verse in my area.

cockinraleigh 07-14-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4200338)

Directtv will have it. Of course I'm relying on the CSR I spoke with on the phone last week. So take it for what it's worth.

d20636 07-14-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockinraleigh (Post 4201450)
Directtv will have it. Of course I'm relying on the CSR I spoke with on the phone last week. So take it for what it's worth.

It would surprise the *%&$ out of me if DirecTV, owned by ATT didn't have it when U-verse will carry it...

CackDiesel 07-14-2014 01:09 PM

I emailed DTV asking when they planned on picking it up. This was the response which I received aprox 7sec later.
Subject
SEC network
Administrator
We’re in the middle of productive discussions with Disney over ESPN’s new SEC Network and hope to be able to provide it as soon as we possibly can. Both DIRECTV and Disney understand and appreciate the unique bond between SEC teams and the communities they represent, many of which lack any professional teams. We are working cooperatively to ensure that everyone can still see their favorite SEC team play at the most reasonable value to all SEC fans and the rest of our customers throughout the Southeast.

For more information please visit directvpromise.com.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV Customer Care

CackDiesel 07-14-2014 01:18 PM

DTV likes to negotiate till the very end. They did it with the weather channel. Just hope they have it by the time season begins.

Biocockanics 07-14-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CackDiesel (Post 4201491)
I emailed DTV asking when they planned on picking it up. This was the response which I received aprox 7sec later.
Subject
SEC network
Administrator
We’re in the middle of productive discussions with Disney over ESPN’s new SEC Network and hope to be able to provide it as soon as we possibly can. Both DIRECTV and Disney understand and appreciate the unique bond between SEC teams and the communities they represent, many of which lack any professional teams. We are working cooperatively to ensure that everyone can still see their favorite SEC team play at the most reasonable value to all SEC fans and the rest of our customers throughout the Southeast.

For more information please visit directvpromise.com.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV Customer Care

Same thing, but it took them 25seconds...bastards.

sc455 07-14-2014 01:39 PM

you just watch..the university will get somewhere in the low thirty millions in dollars and will still raise ticket and gcc prices..

uscjeremynca 07-14-2014 03:47 PM

I've never used DirecTV. However, they always seem to negotiate until the last minute. So why is it their prices are still higher than everybody else even with all these negotiations? Unless you're an NFL fan, I don't understand the appeal of DirecTV.

yazoo 07-14-2014 03:54 PM

You can always switch to Dish and then switch back once Charter, TW, Direct, or whoever, get off their asses and get the SEC Network. If you are an SEC fan, you probably should do it just to penalize their asses for being slow.

johnnyb 07-14-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscjeremynca (Post 4201627)
I've never used DirecTV. However, they always seem to negotiate until the last minute. So why is it their prices are still higher than everybody else even with all these negotiations? Unless you're an NFL fan, I don't understand the appeal of DirecTV.

everybody else does too...look at the recent stuff with Viacom and AMC...the content owner wants the carrier's firstborn and the carrier is trying to negoiate down to just an arm and leg